Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sea Foam... D'oh

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Sep 12, 2012.

1. terryble

terryble
    from canada

My 351W motor had an irritating tiny amount of seepage at the front seal, it would accumulate oil and collect dust just looked bad. I would wash the crud off every so often and in a few days of driving crud would be back. I was runnig synthetic oil that i think is prone to more seepage than dyno oil anyway so I wasn't really concerned and remember it was a very small leak. I had read about Sea Foam here alot but had not seen it in Canada anywhere until recently. Thought I would do the crank flush thing and added Sea Foam to the oil before the change and drove it around for a day. Dumped the oil and it was dirtier than any oil I had ever taken out of that motor. Put in fresh sythetic and washed off the motor. It really took me awhile to notice but the front seal leak was GONE. I think the Sea Foam may have swelled the seal but that is pure conjecture on my part.

2. atomickustom

atomickustom

They squeeze it out of snakes found dead on the side of the road.

3. I dunno for sure I use to to clean up carbs all the time, it works better that that panther piss carb cleaner that the EPA wants us to use these days.

I do dump it in the tank of the Ol' lady's late model about once a year, the last time I had the injectors flushed the mechanic asked what kind of fuel we use because he couldn't find any reason to flush them other that the mileage. I told him the seafoam trick and he said, "Stop using it, I won't be able to make any money off of you." ;)

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

How was the North Platte event...???

We didn't make it to our destination...!!! Dan got sick from sitting in the cool air in Golden that night...

R-

5. Old Dude

Old Dude

Yes this works great, & cheaper also. I have done it quite a few times. Never did it to F I Engines though! Old Scool ! ;)

Attached Files:

6. Old Dude

Old Dude

I have used Sea Foam in a '59 Nash Wagon gas tank, everyone swears by it. Now for putting your car up for winter, I have always used Sta-bil, I like it !
    I did use Water before Modern Tech. came along. The Story about putting kerosesn in Engine in winter is true also. i seen many Old Timers use it. I used to install Reasilon when changing Oil for my customers, back in the Cold Days of Winter. I used to go out and start Cars for my customers on a very cold morning. One morning I went to start a old Olds. It wouldn't even turn over with a jump. He had naver ever changed Oil, just Oil filter. i guess someone told him that. I told him to change Oil, and it would start. No 1 he wanted it started now, and I told him I could start it, but i would not be responsible if anything happened, he said O K. I hooked up another Battery, which would have been 36 Volt, and it started, but i figured the Starter would burn up, or Eng. would spin a bearing. He was lucky.

7. Model T1

Model T1

I don't normally recommend anything off a shelf because I don't get paid for it. But we have used SeaFoam for years in older cars and it seems to work. Never a problem and the engines run smoother. Marvel Mystery Oil is also a great lube to add to fuel of a car or bike with noisy lifters.
    Yes, used water. Also kerosene back in the olden days. Used to add kerosene or diesel to the crank case and run the car awhile before changing oil. Mostly in winter and mostly with old worn out engines.
    Truthfully I believe it harms an engine by flushing oil from places it is supposed to be. But with some of those old engines it was just a temporary fix to get a few more miles out of them.

Snake oil.... What is in that shit anyway??? First of all it has nothing to do with lubricating snakes. Most snakes don't have joints.
    Most snake oil was largely alcohol and drugs in unofficial medicine pedalled by traveling salesmen back when we were but young whippersnappers. Most of it didn't help our ailments but when drinking enough people didn't care!:D
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

8. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

use seafoam in lawnmower,chainsaw, 9.9 outboard, wippersnip,gas leaf blower,generator saves buying carb kits!

9. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

LOL! You always have some funny stuff to say.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Into the carb and you blame the front seal on that? Shit breaks for no logical reason sometimes.

11. theylive

theylive

Anyone that has never used Sea foam... I highly recommend the product, cured my lawn mower hesitation... Have a vehicle that would not shift into 4th... took it to a transmission shop, and a muffler shop thinking it was the tranny/catalytic converter neither could diagnose. Replaced the fuel filter and a pint of sea foam.. runs like new.

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

Guys way more knowledgable than me give it a thumbs-up. I'd give it a try, if the need ever arose.

13. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

I run it through all my small engines, but after reading this thread decided my 48 Stovebolt could use a dose. Dumped 2/3 of a can in the gas tank and the other third down the carb. Waited the prescribed 5 minutes.

After the smoke cleared I at least felt like I had accomplished something!

14. Incarnation

Incarnation

In my experience anybody that uses that shit is an utter moron.

15. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Lot of "morons" on here then! ^^^^^

I have not used it on any of my cars but I did use it on a boat and a few small engines, always seem to work great.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  16. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Incarnation
    FNG

Making friends, aren't we?

17. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I have only used it in the gas tank, but it's always worked well for me. Costs too much though, imo.
    Tom

18. Model T1

Model T1

I resemble that remark. I may be a moron. Seems like a lot of us have used SeaFoam and it's worked. We've used lots of other things that didn't work. We are just passing along what we've learned. Sometimes us morons actually share things with other morons! Obviously you haven't had enough experience in the real world. :)
    Even shit is a lubricant in an emergency. :(

Sent via a moron operated dinkleberry device.

19. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I've worked real to move up to MORON.
    I have used it too and it did what I needed. It is kinda pricey though.
    I guess that makes me a cheap whiney moron.

20. terryble

terryble
    from canada

That is too funny, but one moron to another what exactly would you use shit as a lubricant for? Other than dog shit on the sidewalk making your shoe slippery!

21. Model T1

Model T1

I'd love to answer this. And probably could ramble on for quite awhile about such a shitty question. However this is not a traditional question. Traditional rodders are not full of shit or spread shit. I rest my case!:D

22. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

True , but remember Seafoam is used for petroleum based products , therefore works well on both sides of an engine . IMHO

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of Moronica..................

24. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

I wouldn't call Seafoam snake oil. Its ingerdients are not exactly a secret. It contains naphtha, "white oil" and isopropanol alcohol. And maybe a few other things as well, but it's mostly that stuff.

So it functions as a solvent flush and a thin lubricant. If you want that, buy Seafoam. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

25. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Pouring liquid into the intake too fast can hydraulic an engine and cause damage. But..... the the damage would need to be pretty serious(like a majorly bent crankshaft) to cause the front seal to leak.

26. busajack

busajack
    from wy

Ah the gullibility of the new generation just amazes me. Wonder why detroit doesn't include it with new cars.?:p

27. busajack

busajack
    from wy

So make it yourself for a quarter of the price.:)

28. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

But then you don't get a cool looking can. :(

29. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Id say, if you pour sea foam down your carb, and your front seal blows out, you got bigger problems....

I like sea foam, even in air tools, if marvel mystery oil isnt readily available.

30. littlediesel

littlediesel

I used some in a lanmower I found in the woods with the motor stuck. Unstuck it and got it running (lots of work) then seafoam in oil and gas and help free the rings up and blowby went down vastly. Then I said hmm.. its a worn old motor I think I'll try the rebuild pills and paste. Had it running like a sewing machine. Next time I went to start it it was locked up tighter than a chastity belt. Thats when it hit the scrap pile.