Register now to get rid of these ads!

SDRA car in Houston

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by butch nassau, Apr 15, 2009.

1. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

hey butch what are your rod/main clearences if within specs you could have worn cam bearings or maybe you just need to put washer behind the relief valve spring . the hornet runs 40 lbs .i would not run 50 wt with stock clearences

2. butch nassau

butch nassau

"Flap,

Thanks the clearences are good.

I assume the hornet runs a 235...right?

This is really a out-and-out snivel on my part as I really don't want to lay on a cold garage floor and pull the pan.

The manual says the damn thing only runs 35 lbs ( I assume that's hot ).

Anybody else notice a 10 lb pressur drop after installing a partial flow oil filter?

It takes five minutes of electric drill running the oil pump to get oil to come out of the rocker arm holes.

Thanks and anymore help will be appreciated.

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't know about the 235 but some engines have a restricted flow fitting in the lines to the partial flow filters.

It also may relate to where you are reading the pressure. on the 230 Dodge flathead in the M37B1 the pressure gauge read in the 45 to 50 psi range, but a pressure gauge I had at the inlet of the filter only showed 20 or so with a clean filter.

4. 348chevy

348chevy

If you look at the rocker arm ass. you will see a flow tube about in the middle of the rocker arms. Take that off and plug it with a piece of round metal. Then go to the were the oil line goes in the head and take it loose and put a roll pin in it to restrict the oil flow. This will bring your idle oil pressure up and your overall pressure up. You're going to find there is a massive oil leak running out of that tube because it is supposed to let overflow past the head back to the crankcase, it isn't needed. Also be really careful putting washers behind spring on pump you can cut down on flow because the washer can restict the outflow of the pump. Better to stretch spring to increase tension. You should have 10 pounds of pressure for every thousand rpm. That means at 5000 rpm you need 50 pounds.:)Roy

5. ThingyM

ThingyM

Butch.. I was told by the 6cyl Guru, Mike Kirby. Never run 50wt oil in a six. It will break the oil pump drive shaft, And also,your bearings will not get the required oil that is needed, Run a good brand of 30wt racing oil ..With the above, I get 40 psi at 750 RPM. and about 20 at idle. This is in my 194 Chev.

6. butch nassau

butch nassau

Been doin' some stuff that's not very photogenic...like rebuilding the engine and gettin' all the crap I put together to actually work.

Any way I see the great race schedule in Tulsa and I count the number of round trips from Houston to Tulsa...I think it's about a 1,000 mile round trip.

I really don't want to do that much towing because my wife is nearly driven to distraction by the trailer...she always thinks it's gonna' come off or something, but driving it would be doable.

So what I'm thinking is to ask if someone in the Tulsa (or even the greater Tulsa area) area can recommend a reasonably priced storage arrangement.

The car will be on a 16 foot open car hauler.

Then, we will drive to Tulsa, hook up and go to the track.

Sound reasonable?

Suggestions please.

Thanks

7. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

butch ivegot a couple of ideas on this let me check it out . will get back to you L JONES

8. butch nassau

butch nassau

Thanks for all the help I've received.

It looks like Larry Jones has come up with a nearly ideal storage for "The Red Flame Six."

Thanks again,

Butch

9. esfoder

esfoder
    from Oregon

What speed is the drill turning? Might not be enough to get 50 lbs. I know a oil pump takes more power to turn than ya think. Might not be a problem at all?

Dusty

10. butch nassau

butch nassau

Just a note to let everybody know I'm still alive.

Funny, that doesn't sound as clever as it used to.

Been to cold to work, in in Houston Texas.

Later

11. butch nassau

butch nassau

Previous post is not a mistake..."in in Houston" caused by chattering teeth.

12. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Butch, how much of that summer heat did you can?