Register now to get rid of these ads!

Screw it -- I'm going to fix/sell for more $$

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MyOldBuick, Aug 18, 2006.

1. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

Ok, so I've been sitting on this Buick Special ('62 - 215 V8) for like . . . forever it seems like. I got it started up and moved into position -- not an easy task with no brakes. :eek:

1) Ford Granada Master Cylinder -- I'm sizing it up to see how this little gem is going to fit and what massaging to the brake lines I'll need to do. One glaring thing is the brake light switch . . . it'll have to go on a block or have some other accomodation, as it's made in the old master cylinder.

2) Finishing putting all new brakes all the way around the car

3) Pulling dent out of drivers door

4) Fixing small dings (hail) and sanding entire thing down . . . spray bomb one color

5) Fixing rear passenger quarter

6) Mexican blankets for front/rear seats

7) Welding up trim holes from front to back. Leaving door handles and port holes on sides.

Am I wasting my time here? With those fixes do would anyone be interested? Am I going to be busting my ass for no returns here? I've sat on the thing at $1600, which is honestly my bottom dollar as it sits. If I do these things what do you think I can up it to?

I hate to see an old car just deterioriate. I'm wanting to get the moola to get my old MGB convertible on the road next. I sat in it as it idled tonight and was astounded how good it sounded and how pristine the interior (sans falling apart seats now) is. This car could be a daily driver with just some freshening and very little work. I've even got new hoses for radiator just sitting on the wall . . . Pertronix ignition, converted to alternator . . . . jeez. I took the original triangle washer fluid off (still full!) for the first time tonight and put it safely away. I suspect that might be good ebay fodder. :eek:
    I'm going to have to

2. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

If your going to sell it, don't spray bomb it! That just makes it look like your trying to hide something IMO. If anything take the time to strip it, get the body halfway decent and put a good coat of epoxy on it.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Also, if you're just doing things to it in order to make it more saleable, forget the blankets and filling the trim holes. About the time you do that, someone will want it to be stock. It's a gamble to bet on peoples' tastes. Just stick with mechanical improvements (like brakes that work) that everyone will appreciate.

4. guiseart

guiseart

running, stopping, steering... yup. Let the next guy fix the color and the hubcaps :)

5. IMHO, paint sells the best. Most of whom will be looking will possess just enough money to purchase, not enough to repair/paint.
    Add the significant other factor (to whom all must be presentable), and your best bet to sell would be a decent paint job.
    Plus you'll be able to radically alter the price and will attract a far larger audience.
    Cosmo

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Ford Granada master???????
    Why not just buy a GM one, and bolt it on? NAPA hasem for about $30. Way less effort than adapting one that doesn't belong!