Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Scratch built 1929 Roadster body sheeting structure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cryptkepper, Apr 3, 2013.

1. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Well I am making progress. Started sheet the body in the last couple of days. I'm sheeting with 20 gauge cold roll sheet steel and it going really well. Have to turn the mig way down as not to blow thru, tig would be better but have to work with what i have. Going slow as not to warp the panels! Here's a few more pic's.

Attached Files:

2. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Very cool; i'm always impressed with scratch built stuff. Subscribed!

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It looks good to me although I'm guessing that it is going to be "like a 29 body"

It doesn't look like an exact replica either dimensionally or in profile.

So calling it a 29 will not actually be accurate.

And you should post everything in one thread, no need to keep creating new threads.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  4. I can appreciate the work you have done and it looks very good,,I suppose stylistically it's loosely based on a 29 roadster pickup cab.

Like the previous poster suggested keeping all the build threads in one place and I concur. HRP

5. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Ok guys I guess it's not exact, and yes like a 29, the exact dimensions were what i went off of. I wanted something no one else had it is wider and lower than stock I also added more leg room as I am 6' tall and did not want to be cramped. I'll try to be more precise in my descriptions of anything I post. PS. will try to figure out how to post everything on one thread, I'm computer stupid!!!

6. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

From the title, i thought you meant built by Scratch

7. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Awesome! Ill be watching this one

8. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Ok guys I never intended to build an exact copy of Fords 1929 RPU, what I wanted was an all steel ol skool rod. I could have purchased a repop or a glass body but it still would not have been what I wanted! So liking the lines of the 28-29 RPU I did my research and after getting the info i then reworked the dimensions wanting it wide and low but to resemble a 29. I do appreciate all feed back, I welcome it, it may keep me from making mistakes in building the body. With that said here are the latest pics I have the passenger side complete now, on to the driver side.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  9. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Roadster looks great Crypt, keep on doing what you're doing!

10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Looks pretty good to me!
    I do think you're taking the hard path by welding all your exposed edges instead of creating 90* flanges and welding inside and not hemming the door skins etc.
    But this is how you learn AND you already have something made that most people can only dream of doing!

I think it will look awesome once its all finished! ;) :D

11. Nice metal work, would be great if you can find vintage emblems, headlights, grill shell etc in order to make it more closely mimmick the 29...but I understand, toy are going for a close representation, not an EXACT replica

12. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

thanks alot, there are lot of tools I wish I still owned, such as a brake, bead roller, english wheel, ect..... But the exwife made sure she kept my most valued tools! SPITE was her forte, funny though she married the guy she cheated on me with and he beats her once a week to remind her who's in charge! She can have all the tools I collected and the weekly beatings! " Justice Is a B@#%H!

13. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

That is some awesome metal work! I wish I had that skill set. You building bodies to sell?

I can't wait to see more of this build.

14. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

I am sorry to disappoint you, don't know scratch, but am aware of who he is! Very talented young man.

15. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Once this one is finished, and my peers approve I may consider building additional bodies. But I really need to rearm my shop with some larger tool such as a tig, break, bead roller and e-wheel. and that takes more funds than I have presently. However you have given me an idea, if i sell a couple of bodies I could purchase these badly need tools. thanks!!!!

16. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Very cool you have talent and you should do something (not just for yourself) with it and put it out there. I really like the body its very clean lines.

I looked at getting a T bucket body made in metal and was given a price range of 3-6K so I went back to fibar glass lol.

I would love to do a roadster but just can not afford the bodies in metal. There are a lot of people out there who have a talent and I belive they should always use them and put it out there.

Keep us posted with this build and if you ever start making these for others please keep me and everyone posted.

17. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Thanks! Will post if i should build more than one.

18. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Here are some update pic's for the driver side.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  19. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Nice work so far, you do know a few of the tools you need are diy i'v seen them posted here like bead rollers and english wheels many times and with your skill set i don't think you would have a problem making them . keep up the good work. Jack

20. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

That is awesome! You do great work and would like to see what you do when you get the tools you want. I bet you could turn a few of them in no time.

What frame are you using? I may have missed when reading the thread.

21. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

I also built a 10" Z in the rear and 5" in the front as well as pinched the frame from the front Z to the front cross bar. I have three post on here if you search scratch built 1929 roadster body they will come up! I did not know how to post on one thread at the time. But there are several pic's of the frame and engine set up. Thanks for the kind words!!

22. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Sounds good I will look for them. I have bene wanting to build a T bucket or a Roadster and I have been thinking of a Z front frame and trying to learn more aobut them.

You have a lost skill set that a lot of the generations coming up do not have or wont try to learn. We need more metal workers.

The body looks good to me and it looks like a high dollar body that a high dollar shop would use.

23. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Very Cool!!!!

24. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Thanks, checked out your link like the ol skool approach with the five window!

25. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Nice work

Following

26. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Completed the passenger side all that's left is to add the top and bottom molding, then onto the back panel which should go pretty fast as it has very little contour, it is pretty flat. I will then remove the body to finish the firewall and floor areas. Then onto leading all the seams and some minor body work to smooth out the door jams. I made all my templets to build the bed. Can't decided if I want a working tailgate or if it will look like a working gate but will be welded shut. Here's some more pic's.

Attached Files:

27. That's a pretty cool lil body you have workin there. Nice job.

28. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Worked on the passenger side upper and lower moldings, finished them. Tomorrow I intend to try and finish the rear panel should go pretty fast. Here's a few pic's.

Attached Files:

29. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Man I want one of those bodies! How are you bending and shaping the metal?

30. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Sorry I accidentally posted duplicates for yesterdays work. Here are todays pic's.

Attached Files: