Register now to get rid of these ads!

School Me on the Crosley 4-banger!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crewcutkid, Nov 18, 2004.

1. crewcutkid

crewcutkid
    from m

Okey-dokey! I gots me a project- fer the museum. It's a Crosley 4-banger that needs a simple cleanup, but I want to take away something from this project. I checked the throttle/choke, carb assy. works fine. I've taken a look at the cam n rockers, but the rotating assy. won't budge. I'm sorry that I don't have the specs on it at the moment, but are there any general tips when dealing with a crosley?
    What I can tell you-
    It's tiny. The cam is about as wide as my index finger, and with my bony hands, that's saying something!
    The dist. Is an old points type (duh)
    Carb is a normal 2bbl. I forgot the maker of that thing as well.
    This is the info I have now, hopefully I can get more info to youse guys and gals asap, prolly bout monday.
    Any help?
    Sorry to be so vague about the moto- I mean engine.
    -Crew

2. The Crosley 4cyl was the engine of choice for the 3/4 midget racing- mid 60's to early 70's. Growing up as a kid, Dad always had one of these on the work bench. By the time I was old enough to understand, the sport progressed (if you could call it that) to 2cycle and snow mobile engines. A few years ago, I asked all the old boys if they still had anything. A few still had a midget in its last configuration- 2cycle. No Crosley hop-up parts anywhere.
    Thermo-King trailers (as in 18wheelers) used Crosley engines to run the refrigeration units. These were much sought after due to better block casting and stronger crank.
    Dad won the ATQMRA Championship one year building the already obsolete Crosley engine for his buddy Stan. Stan was the owner/driver and weighed 300lbs+ ...power to weight handicapped from the start! That engine would SCREAM but seldom broke. They won a couple of races that year, but consistant finishes racked up the points- few DNF's.
    Sorry I can't help you with the mechanics of your engine. I have a soft spot for Crosley's. They are part of where I came from. Best of luck with your project.
    Bil

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Wierd stuff: Integral head, like an OFFY. No idea how you do a valve job--the type of stone holders used on aircraft, sure, but howinhell do you get up there in those tiny cylinders???
    Crosley won Sebring, once...
    Carb is Tillotson...I MIGHT have a manual on that.
    There is a small amount of info in early Rod mags, I've got an article on a Crosley rail dragster somewhere!

4. McGrath

McGrath

5. McGrath

McGrath

6. superbell

superbell

As I recall there were two different blocks available, the early block had sheet metal sides and the later blocks were all cast. Stay with the cast!

7. crewcutkid

crewcutkid
    from m

That's interesting, because we have an engineless midget town at the museum! It is a totally cast block, I will check out those sites. Yeah, no hop-up on this engine, tho. Gotta keep it as historically correct as possible.
    -Crew

8. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

[ QUOTE ]
    The block weighs 14.8 lbs. The engine Powel Crosley is holding weighed 58 lbs. Complete with all accessories including flywheel it still only weights133 lbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sheesh...

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

talk to Tony (crosley) on the RRT There is a crosley website. The Crosley Hotshot used the same headlights as Indian motorcycle

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Fascinating little engines--same problem as V860's, try to find something small enough to make one fast...

11. colorado51

colorado51

Crew,

Just curious; how did you get that gig at the Forney anyway? Is it a volunteer thing?

12. crewcutkid

crewcutkid
    from m

'Tis volunteer, butcha gotta have some qualifications, cuz the don't wantcha breaking something, see? When I interviewed, I made sure to interject as much hot rod history into my schpiel as possible. Not all of the work is car related. Sometimes we work on trains or wagons, and sometimes it's mule work (lift this, tote that, etc.) It's fun, rewarding, and informative too.
    -Crew

13. crewcutkid

crewcutkid
    from m

14. noboD

noboD

crewcutkid, as was said before the early ones were sheet metal blocks. They were brazed together, then machined. The guy that sold Fridgedaire to GM built the Crosley. It was like his 4th or 5th successfull business. When he got tired of them he sold them and started another. To race them, I understand they sawed off the head, machined, drilled, and tapped the block and replaced it with a HiPo head. I forget the names of the heads. Cute little devils. I know this doesn't go with your engine quest, but last year at Oley MC show there was a custom Crosley convertible, powered by a HD flathead. The kick start was in the pass. compartment.

15. Braje. Remember that name. They built most, if not all, the Hi-Po stuff for Crosley.
    Automobile Quarterly, First Quarter 1978, Volume XVI, Number 1 has a history you will find interesting and illuminating.
    The two barrel carb is wrong, shoudl be single, though Tillotson is the right manufacturer.
    After 1948, all engines were CIBA, or Cast Iron Block Assembly. Previous engines were called COBRA, or COpper-BRAzed. These really were sheet metal engines, the block (not crankcase, those were aluminum for all), including cylinders et al, were formed then brazed into a block assembly. Worked really well, except that the water jackets would get pinholes in them after a while. I think it was caused by high compression and poor fuel begetting detonation that agitated the water into electrolysis that ate the water jackets. Anyway, those are usually good to stay away from.
    All 1949 and to June '50 Crosleys have four wheel disc brakes, too, the first ever.
    The Farm-O-Road was cool. And weird.
    Ed Herzog used to be THE man for parts, but I have no idea if he is still around. He was in FL, previously in Long Island, if you want to start searching.
    Good luck, I still remember my wagon, a 1948, VIN 44555.
    Cosmo

16. noboD

noboD

Wasn't Braje connected with the salt flats too? I forgot the part about 4 wheel discs. Good history lesson.

17. crewcutkid

crewcutkid
    from m

I'll look at the carb again, coulda sworn it was a two barrel... I'll also look at the head. Mebbe it is hi-po, cause it was in that midget.
    -Crew

18. Mutt

Mutt

noboD - Powell Crosley didn't own Fridgidaire. He was the first to put shelves on doors in a fridge - the Crosley Shelvador. Crosley also owned the Cincinnati Reds, Crosley Radio co., WLW radio, and a long list of inventions.

http://www.aaca.org/junior/spotlight/crosley/crosley.htm

Mutt

19. crewcutkid

crewcutkid
    from m

Don't we have a Crosley expert on hand 'round here?
    -Crew

20. noboD

noboD

Sorry to mis-speek, opened mouth before engaging brain.

21. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

my brother got one with a generator on it, it runs great . Doea it have any value?

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't we have a Crosley expert on hand 'round here?
    -Crew

[/ QUOTE ]
    *****talk to Tony (crosley) on the RRT There is a crosley website. The Crosley Hotshot used the same headlights as Indian motorcycle*****

http://www.ggw.org/~cac/ c'mon guys, you are on the internet, use google

23. crewcutkid

crewcutkid
    from m

I know, i know. I was asking if there is one on this board. I recall a guy with the crosley logo in his sig, thought he would like to weigh in.
    -Crew

24. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I was doing a search on this bbs..... just found this.

sorry I missed it.... hope you got the answers you needed

25. tomslik

tomslik

hey, i think i just figgered out why you wanted a honda bike with an auto.....

26. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Two weeks ago I met the editor of the Crosley Automobile Club magazine at a car show in Fleetwood, Pennsylvania. He gave me a copy of their latest quarterly publication, shown below.

Here is some info:

Crosley Automobile Club National Meet: Wauseon, Ohio Jul 8, 9, 2005 - Regional meets all summer.

For Crosley parts and Service:
    Service Motors
    PO Box 116
    8111 State Road 16 East
    Twelve Mile, IN 46988
    Phone 574-664-3313

For club information email Shawn Robinson:
    [email protected]

27. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

We used to drag race against a guy with a Crosley, with our Model B dragster. He wanted to race to the pump-house at old Pomona, about 1/8th of a mile, and he was hard to beat at that distance. He shifted out of 1st gear at 11,000 RPM, 2nd at 9,000 and went thru the 1/4 mile traps at 6,000! He ran one Stromberg 81, said any more didn't do him any good.