Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical scatter shield bell housing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26Troadster, May 5, 2019.

1. 26Troadster

26Troadster

is there any difference between the block mount starter bell housing and the bell housing mounted starter one or is it just the block plate? right now i have the cast iron bell housing to set the car up with but want a scatter shield in the future, need to know before i start hunting. and before you ask no i can't use the block mounted starter.

2. Fordors

Fordors

I have a Lakewood in my coupe that has provision for the bell housing mounts used on '55-'57 and the block plate has a square 3/8-16 nut welded to it for the bottom starter bolt. In addition there is one tapped hole in the starter pocket area of the bell housing for the middle bolt along with a hole and a machined relief on the outside of the bell for the top bolt which would also need a nut. The block plate is a 15705 and it can be used with all three starters AFAIK, the early three bolt for 168 tooth 'wheel, the later block mounted starter for the 168T f/w's and there is a knockout on the block plate that has to be removed to use the starter for the 153T f/w.
    Sorry, I don't have the scatter shield part number handy, but you will need the side mount '55-'57 style.

26Troadster likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26Troadster likes this.
  4. 26Troadster

26Troadster

thank you both for the answers. i went to holey's web site but didn't find the answer i guess i didn't look hard enough.