Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBF power steering pump location

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Oct 31, 2020.

1. topher5150

topher5150

Need some power steering bracket ideas for my 351w. The way it's mounted, with the factory mount, makes it so I have to cut a giant hole in the fender. Is there a way to get it to mount further in without spending an ass load of money on some monstrous billet/ serpentine system?

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

May have to raise it up to go in. Just make what you need.

3. I made this bracket to mount Saginaw pump to the end head bolts on my 351W. Clears inner fender panel. bracket recess.jpg

saltflats likes this.
  4. What type pump are you using? (Pic?) I had to custom-build mine but I got it well-tucked in...

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Vans had them a little higher up and tighter to the block then the cars and trucks.

6. topher5150

topher5150

It's a late 70s with the plastic reservoir, but I could always change

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. topher5150

topher5150

8. topher5150

topher5150

I know it's not the most traditional but something like this with a saginaw pump
    Screenshot_20201101-093530.jpeg

9. Jegs sells this, https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/746/PCE233.1002/10002/-1, and Borgeson and others sell steel brackets that mount the Saginaw pump. I made my own in that style, as I already had an aftermarket AC bracket in the same area, and I wanted to make sure they would work together, and clear the inner fender.

10. topher5150

topher5150

Shucks for that price might as well. It's there a certain saginaw pump to use?

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Check your junk yards ! Ford put the pumps in various places on different cars and trucks and vans. Possible one will work for your problem. Also sometimes the 302 mounts can work.

Bones

12. I can't believe some of the junk they sell to Ford guys.... There's two issues with that Speedmaster bracket. One, if you're using Ford steering, the GM pumps don't put out the correct pressure, it's too low. This can supposedly be fixed by changing the pressure relief spring in the pump, but you still need to buy a pump. I haven't seen a aftermarket bracket that uses the Ford pump for some reason.

Two, the mounting method. That bracket is cantilevered out from the head only, putting all stress on those two bolts. It should be triangulated for strength and to prevent flexing. I'll note that this bracket doesn't really pull the pump in enough in any case. When I got my avatar the PO had phonied up a similar bracket using the same Ford pump you have without triangulating it and I always had issues with a squealing belt at low speeds when parking ect because the bracket bolts flexed. The bolts broke several times also, not good.

I took the bull by the horns and scratch-built my own bracket. One issue I had was my motor uses the '62-65 front dress (timing cover and water pump) which is different from the more common '66-up setup; nobody makes a bracket for mine. And even the ones I saw for the later motors didn't pull the pump in far enough to clear the inner fender.

Now there's good news and bad news involved here. The good news is the costs are low; all you need is some 1/4" and 1/8"steel plate, some heavy-wall 1/2" ID tubing, a few nuts/bolts, some 1/2" running thread, and a donor adjustment bracket. The bad news is it requires some careful fabbing, an arc welder, cutting torch, some taps, and if you know anybody with a lathe it would be helpful (but not absolutely required; a drill press will work). You'll also need a pump pulley puller, $20 from Harbor Freight (https://www.harborfreight.com/pulley-remover-and-installer-set-12-pc-63068.html).

If you're interested, I'll partially disassemble mine and take some pics along with some basic measurements, but those will probably have to be 'adjusted' for your front dress.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. topher5150

topher5150

Would there be any pressure issues using a Saginaw pump with a GM box?

14. If you're using a GM box you should use a Saginaw pump....

I've got the same issues coming up. I'm planning on a Borgeson PS box for my '60 Sunliner and need a Saginaw-to-FE bracket and I'm not liking what I see for aftermarket brackets...

topher5150 likes this.
  15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Ford used Saginaw pumps with Ford boxes on the vans so that would be the pump to get if you have a Ford box.

Boneyard51 likes this.