Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBF factory header with clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Anybody trying to put Fords in Fords, or anything else for that matter, has to contend with the age old problem of steering shaft clearance versus the exhaust header.
    I bought a stalled project and it came with exhaust headers and the complete tailpipe system but they had removed the engine. I installed a replacement SBF but the headers I got did not clear the steering which was already installed.:eek:
    I prefer to use factory headers when I can because they will last longer than tube headers and they are relatively cheap.:)
    In my hunt for a header that worked, I stumbled across one laying outside a shop that looked like it might work. I asked the owner about borrowing it to see if it would clear. He said if it did clear, LEAVE it on the engine! He said he wouldn't use it anyway. I offered to buy it if it fit but he would have none of it.
    It DID clear with room to spare... my index finger fits easily between the header and the steering shaft and my fat thumb is a snug fit.;) I hope these technical measurements don't throw any of you off.:D
    My benefactor said the header came off a 1973 Bronco so keep your eyes open for them. Similar years might be the same and other applications might have a similar header.
    I hope this tip will help someone else. It is my way of paying forward some goodness someone passed to me.;)
    1973 Bronco exhaust header.JPG
    In this instance the steering shaft is being "relayed" by a bracket off the frame but the clearance will be just as helpful using a more traditional steering box.
    Hopefully Helpful Al

X38 and flyboy89 like this.
  2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

65-68 big body cars with small block , use almost the same manifold . Only difference is early manifold may have more clearance , it does not have the rib cast into it . I'm thinking yours was OEM on a 351 W , F150 and Bronco . Makes no difference it fits , all small blocks except for late roller engines with hipo heads that had a slight different kant to the plugs . Right side can sometimes be a bear also because most SBF manifolds dump straight out the rear into the firewall .

Hamtown Al likes this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

D3OE prefix is 1973 Fairlane (all) and Torino 1967-1976. Truck is E or T in lieu of O.
    Part # 9421 - 9499 is manifolds and clamps, including intake and exhaust manifolds according to '64-'72 Ford Truck Master Parts Catalog. As stated it appears to be a 73 Bronco manifold going by the numbers

Hamtown Al likes this.
  4. That style manifold will be found on the SBF-powered big cars though about '71, as well as the mid-70s full-frame Torinos/Montegos/LTDIIs, and 351W-powered T-birds. As noted the earlier versions won't be 'ribbed' but are more prone to breaking. You'll also find these on 351W powered trucks to end of production in '96, but those will be even more heavily ribbed.

Hamtown Al likes this.

5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Big THANKS to all for sharing the additional information; all of which is good to know.:)
    Sharing insight and information is a major part of the HAMB to me.
    Everyone is welcomed to share any additional information or tips on the subject.
    Thanks again to those that have researched and expanded my beginning meager attempt to pay it forward.