Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC vs Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Strong-arm, Jul 30, 2011.

1. 1949*john

1949*john

to many merc's with a sbc ! go old style , hemi ?

2. Hard_luck

Hard_luck
    from Canada

im having the same dilema, i have a 50 ford shoebox, and a fresh rebuilt 283 that didnt make it into a previous build, i was gonna run a tri powered set up and i already have all the finned goodies for it, but on the other hand a flattie does look and sound cool, im not looking to go fast, just low and not too slow......its a tough call considering i have the rebuilt sbc, but something just doesnt feel right cuz i dont think i would put a ford engine in a chevy

decisions.....decisions

3. teddyp

teddyp

you nuts? sbc all the way

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I sure wish I was as cool as all the sbc haters out there...maybe if I cuff my jeans and hook a chain to my wallet... one can only dream.:rolleyes:

I'd guess a Merc with a flattie would be quite a slug out on the road. I'd only have one if it were a totally original stock vehicle.

5. Do what you can afford, period. Toss a SBC in it and be driving it next week, or save your pennies for a nice Flattie and be driving it next year. That big Merc is also going to be slower than wind erosion with even the hottest Flattie in it, where building a 400hp SBC can be done pretty reasonably. Or you can do what I did, pop the SBC in there for the time being, and save for what you really want. Because driving your car is a whole lot cooler than not driving your car, regardless of what's between the fenders.
    Seems to me like there's either a lot of guys with no financial restraints, or a lot of guys OK with putting themselves first. Yeah, we all sacrifice for our cars, but when it becomes more than personal sacrifice, you've got your priorities all screwed up, bud. Wasn't the whole basis of hot rodding doing the best you can with what you could afford? I think some guys are a little too into rodding for the look, and not the substance. It's not a fashion accessory, and if you treat it as such, just keep it off my wave.

6. I drive my car in traffic and on the highway, and my 300 hp SBC is adequate. I think anyone rocking a flattie and a 3 spd manual on the highway is slower than a bus but quicker than one of those road cleaning trucks. :)

alanp561 likes this.
  7. buster6972

buster6972
    from Florida

One of the most beautiful cars of all time mixed with one of the best looking engines (flathead). If I had a lead sled I wouldn't worry about going fast or sticking with traffic. I would be cruising blacktops at 55. If you want speed go get a muscle car.

alanp561 likes this.
  8. Sure but I live like 30 miles away from all the summer weekly car shows.

9. I've had cars that I couldn't drive on the highway and it SUCKS having to always ride with someone else or limit the places you can go.
    Late model 5.0, they're cheap, plentiful, make adequate power in stock trim, and have a great aftermarket. Rip the injection off, gussy it up a little and most people will never know the difference between it and an old SBF.

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

My flatmotor (8BA) totalled out to around $4,000, complete....Bored, balanced, assembled..... I considered it a reasonable overall cost. Flatties are not prohibitively expensive,.......

4TTRUK

11. Elrod

Elrod

I'm a big flathead guy. I don't particularly like looking at a SBC at a car show. But for Kustoms, I think the majority of the "show" is in the body and interior, not the engine bay. I'm fine with a cruiser getting an SBC. Makes driving that cush ride more fun.

On a hoodless 30s Ford with no fenders? Put something more interesting between the rails please.

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I don't know where you guys keep coming up with the idea you can't drive a flathead on the highway? I have 2 of them with 3 speeds and no OD that will cruise @ 65 or 70 easily The gearing has more to do with it than the motor.

13. MERC 55

MERC 55

I would go with the flathead, if you are going with a small block go with a ford smallblock

14. dad-bud

dad-bud

Gee, I'l bet you are glad you started this thread, aren't you?
    Now that the benefit of all the sagely advice and emotional pleadings have been given - are we any closer to knowing the answer to the question of the ages? SBC or FH?
    How much longer do we have to wait?

15. If I had a 40's era custom I would have thought more about a flathead, but I'm going for mid 50's. Hood shut at the shows - It's not a hot rod it's a custom.

I'm going to put an even newer engine in my car at some point but it will be carbed have an old look to it. I want this car to have the power to hang with cars that run mid 12's.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Mid 12's is quicker than most cars. I never concidered Merc's as speed wagons. Flatheads will always look cool, but the cost and usually low HP have to be considered.

You would get good HP and speed with a SBC, SBF or whatever else V8. Personally, I'd go SBC or SBF and see how you like it. There's room under that hood for just about anything.

17. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I'm running a flattie and 3 speed in my 47 ford. I did a 1000 mile trip up to Seattle... I felt really unsafe. Simply enough, I just barely got out of the way of traffic fast enough. I actually had a few, not a couple, but a few close calls. I'm planning a road trip down to the desert soon. I'm almost certain that a 350 (that I bought for a VERY reasonable price with very low mileage) is going to be pulling me down there.

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

There is no "Versus". The mouse motor is superior period. Flathead has been a novelty since 1955.

19. TesTed

TesTed
    from alabama

Ok didn't read thru all this but a Flattie is hard to beat but a little costly if you want to do it right, but why even consider SBC when there are plenty of donor Mustangs out there with the 225hp 302 just looking for 2nd chance. Not to mention an abundance of aftermarket parts.

20. Avgas

Avgas

Chevs are a great engine, overdone to the hilt! Anything other than a Chev, please.