Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SBC timing issue???? GURUS HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZomBrian, Mar 21, 2009.

1. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Alright, we have my brothers wagon outside and the 350, that didn't haev a problem before intalling, now backfires.....BADLY! We've tried all kinds of timing stuff but maybe you guys can give some guidance. Can't hurt to have some more eyes looking in. It is a Chevy 350 HEI. Not a race job or anything like that. Troubleshoot me like I'm an idiot.

Thanks in advance(no timing pun intended),
    Brian

EDIT: I also posted this before running a search:eek:, but I'm still open to suggestions...I'm running a search now.:D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Rotor turns clockwize, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, make sure you start with top dead center of#1 not #6......................................... If you pulled the dizzy out you will have to start over, find TDC #1 go from there ..........

3. I see your first problem right off the bat-

-------Your name is Brian. Brians have a way of screwing things up, and top of the list (next to relationships, sunday school, etc) IS timing on any combustible engine. There is no help group to teach us better habits that we will retain in the long term, we must learn the hard way every single damn time.----smiley quote here----

4. zbuickman

zbuickman

bump/bend the distributor while installing??? Its kinda hard here there is not alot of information... timing backfire, Lean backfire under load, idle accelration we need more info:)

5. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Well it smells rich, but isn't running rich. Tried bumping the dist. back and forth and it only makes it worse. After searching I think I found our problem...we haven't tried pinching the vacuum advance and adjusting. We'll give that a shot. Thanks for all your suggestions.

6. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Timing backfire.

EDIT: I think we got her...close thread.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Well that's bull shit we try and help you out and that's it "close the thread"??????????????????????????

8. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

It's not that. Just that I ran a search after the post and think I found the problem (we didn't pinch the vacuum advance for initial timing). That and I think we might go the MSD route with it now, just to make sure we're getting maximum spark. No offense in wanting to close the thread I just think that after the search, just about ANY timing problem can be troubleshot with the existing threads. Sorry and thanks for the help, all was considered.

Brian