Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Sbc rocker gap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olds vroom, Jun 26, 2020.

1. olds vroom

olds vroom

I’m working on a 283 out of a 64 Malibu. It was recently rebuilt to stock less than 1000 miles ago by a local garage and just broke a rocker stud of . I’ve replaced the stud but noticed all the rockers are really tight in all positions. Shouldn’t there be a little play ? I can’t find any spec for a gap size between the rocker and valve . Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With a hydraulic lifters? No. There should be some preload, no gap. The gaps you refer to are for solid lifters. Search hydraulic lifter preload. Specs and techniques vary, too little and you get clatter, too much and stuff starts getting broken.

Chris

1934coupe likes this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I broke a rocker stud on one cylinder on my 67 Camaro 327 when a previous owner shaved the heads too much. Kept breaking that one rocker arm stud. Went to have the broken stud removed by a machine shop and they drilled into the water jacket below and I didn't find that until I had the head remounted and the car running! Water coming up by the stud! Pain in the ass!

4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Like happy daze said.

Pat

5. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Wasn't the shops fault, almost all stock SBC heads the exhaust rocker stud holes already go through to the waterjacket. Stock pressed studs don't leak because of the press-fit...as soon as you pull them and thread the hole now you need thread sealer on the studs or you get leaks.

Intake rocker studs are all drilled through to the intake ports, put threaded studs in they need sealer or you get it sucking oil.

GordonC and Truckdoctor Andy like this.