Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Oil Pump-Distributor Drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dickj42, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Dickj42

Dickj42
    from East Texas

I sure hope somebody has an answer to my problem. It seems like after messing with SBC motors for sixty years, i'd have learned something, but-----. The oil pump drive shaft on my motor seems to be 1/2" too high. My distributor will not seat down to the manifold. I have measured the length of the distributor shaft from the seat flange to the bottom of the pump drive, and then used a square to measure the distance from the face of the manifold to the bottom of the slot in the oil pump drive shaft and the oil pump drive shaft is definitely 1/2 inch too close to the top. What's up here? ? ?
    DickJ

2. squirrel

squirrel

I had the opposite problem with my 427 a couple months ago. Had a small block shaft in it. Maybe you have a big block shaft in yours.

and fortunately that car is easy to pull the pan off....

3. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

the early nova oil pumps are different I believe and take a shorter shaft. Not sure what you have, but you may need the shorter shaft.

4. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

5. aaggie

aaggie

The early Chevy II with the front sump oil pan used a short oil pump with it's own specific shaft. Other than that the difference between BBC and SBC is 1/2".

6. I recently discovered this myself. I built a NOS 283 block I've had laying around and ran into two shafts in my pile of parts. The short one is what I wound up using. The long one had a steel coupler on it which I had never seen before. The short one used the plastic coupler which came in the gasket set. Yes, you can learn something new, even at 69. Tim

7. squirrel

squirrel

steel coupler is what all the "hot rod" shafts use