Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC into a 51 sedan. Aussie manual gearbox??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Morgan91, May 21, 2011.

1. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

iv done a search and couldn't find anything, but im just trying to figure out how hard it would be to replace my 216 with a SMC iv got a 350 laying around that i was going to build up, but i still want to keep it manual, not the 3 speed thats on the 216 but mabey a 4 or 5 speed. so its reliable.

my questions are:

1: what manual gearbox that i can get easily will bolt up to a SMC with out to much effing around?

2: could i just use the motor mounts off a 55/56 small-block where they bolt to the front and use the same mounting position as the 216.

my other option is putting a ht/hg front end under it and then the motor will bolt straight to it and id have un upgraded IFS.

2. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

(1) What's an SMC?
    (2) 51 Sedan WHAT exactly? Ford, Chevy?
    (3) What does ht/hg mean?

Assuming that:
    * A SMC means a small block chevy
    * Your 51 Sedan is a Styleline or Fleetline Chevy and not a Shoebox ford.

Then

(1) SBC->Bellhousing->Any GM sourced rear-drive 4,5, or 6 speed used with a V8 (or a V6 in some cases) that didn't use C6 corvette style torque tube. So any rear drive.

However, you will need to convert to an open drive to do it. So everything from the transmission back hasta go. Transmission, Driveshaft, rear axle.

Also, you will most likely need to fabricate a new transmission crossmember.

(2) No. Won't come close to fitting. Hurst style mounts might work though.

Really- this is a popular swap, and there's lots of info on it- search here or over on chevytalk (it's a sticky in the 49-54 forums there).

That is , if you're talking about chevys and not something else.

3. Whippet

Whippet

g'day mate
    i've got a 52 chevy , i did a hz graft on the front of mine gets it sitting real low and gives power steer, but in hindsight should have dropped a jag frontend in it also gives power steer and much easier to fit, looked at doing the hk-t-g front but couldn't get it low enough without buying dropped spindles, if you are a member on ozrodders.com have a look in the members rides it's the 52 chevy with the Holden efi 5litre.
    cheers Whippet

4. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

thanks man, yeah sorry i wasnt paying attention when i wrote that, but you guessed correct, SBC (dunno why i wrote SMC) into a 51 chevy. yesterday i bought a ht-hg holden front end, and im going to fit it out with HZ dropped spindles rotors and calipers and just use a VB commo rack for steering. which means if it ends up not to far forward in the engine bay i can bolt a SBC straight to it.

i understand id need to change the tranny crossmember, and diff, etc. iv got a diskbrake XG falcon rear end that im gonna put in it.

thanks for the help.

i might have to ask some one over here if i can get a VN V6 commo 5 speed to bolt to a small block. cheers!

5. you're gonna confuse the shit outta these yanks by talkin in model names (ht/hg etc.). but i'd say that using the ht frontend with the hz brakes would be the way to go, that way uoy get upgraded ifs and disc brakes and the SBC should bolt right up (depending on how much room you have). i'd say the dunnydoor v6 'box should bolt up but the v6's used a different crank for the auto and manual 'box so i don't know how you'd go with a flywheel. however i wouldn't advise using one of those "getrag" (sp?) 'boxes because they've got a bad habit of breaking the secondary shaft, even behind a stock v6. you'd probably be better off going with a later model 'box (i think late vs onward used a tremec 5 speed) then you won't have any troubles bolting it up.

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER