Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC into 46-48 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rat bastad, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Hey guys...anyone done this ?

Esp in the headers area - I dont think the centre dump Ram's Horns will clear the steering box on the drivers side.

Will a rear dump Craparo style exh manifold clear the column/shift linkage? Or does anyone make a short block hugging kinda header for this swap?

Inquiring minds want to know !

Thanx !!

Rat

2. sedanbob

sedanbob

I helped a buddy do that 30 years ago - 327 in a 46 Chevy coupe. As I remember we used the ram horns and had to move the steering box/column over slightly. We ground the three raised lugs off the box to bolt it tighter to the frame, then moved the top of the steerng column over about an inch at the dash. Tight but it fit, and no one noticed that we moved the column. Good luck.

3. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

What about using 265 manifolds

4. Thanx Bob,

I wonder, will a rear dump cast iron manifold clear the column/shift linkage on the driver's side?

Rat

5. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I have a set of '55-'57 Chevy fenderwell headers on mine. By using them and moving the engine a little forward, I didn't have to cut the ribs on the firewall. They dump out OVER the frame and clear any and all items in that area. Of course you DO have to cut an opening out in the inner fenderwells though. I am VERY happy with the set up.

6. Ci Im afraid I cant g down that path at all.

No cutting allowed lol.

Bumporama for the morning crowd.

Rat