Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbc into 38 chevy pu truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, Aug 13, 2013.

1. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

sbc into 38 pu.replaced rad with thicker one suitable for a v8.hose is 1 3/4.where can i find a bottom hose to fit.outlet on rad on the bottom passenger side.rad supplied by PRC

rad should be the same from 37-53 according to PRC

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Go to your nearest auto parts store and ask to rummage through their stock of hoses. Find one that will work.

3. pila38

pila38

You can take an old wire hanger and bend it in the shape you want and then follow the advice above. Wish I could help more Chris, but I haven't gotten that far yet!

4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

5. pila38

pila38

That'll work! Not a big fan of that green stripe though. Is there one that is all black?

6. pila38

pila38

7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

a friend with a v8 55 chevy has got one in the post today.i will go to see it later this evening.if its a successful fit i will order one for myself.another friend has just imported a 53 with v8 conversion gotta have a look at that as well.for the top hose i will weld up some 1 1/2 dairy pipe with a short piece of hose either end similar to the flathead ford v8 settup.thanx lads

nunattax

8. rustang

rustang

9. rustang

rustang

Chris, here are a couple of pictures of mine that may help...I will look for what part number I used....regardless I bought (2) hoses for the bottom. One was like 13" long and the other was, if I recall, 11"-12" long.... the longer one went in, but really tough, the shorter one fit better.... still wish I could locate a molded one, but oh well...
    :)
    Tom

Attached Files:

10. I've seen a couple of posts about trying to find radiator or coolant hoses that will work on custom applications. The attached .pdf file gives all of the dimensions,part numbers and pictures of Gates molded hoses.It can give you an idea of what hose might fit your needs and then you can go to the local parts house for a better look.I hope this will help someone. ( It's a large file so be patient while it loads)
    <fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Attached Files</legend> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="3"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>Product Guide - Hose.pdf (7.39 MB, 362 views)</td></tr></tbody></table></fieldset>

11. rustang

rustang

Moose... awesome hose guide!
    Tom

12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx lads,dont forget the added complication that the outlet on the rad is 1 1/2 and the inlet on the waterpump is 1 3/4 inch.

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

Hose reducer rubber sleeves are available from Gates and probably other manufaturers

14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx trucked up good 2 know

15. You should be able to find a molded hose with an expanded end for the 1.75, that has 1.5 for the rest. I do the bent wire trick and go look through the hoses at auto supply. Most times i end up with a hose i cut off some, but the end result fits what I need.

Then save that number so in future you can get the same hose again if needed.

16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx for your help iam using an allstar green stripe hose 1 3/4 x13 1/2.fits fine

17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

rustang that hose looks like mine.its fitted with top grade clamps but weeping a little..im thinking if I could remove the bottom outlet and reweld it facing the right a littlei could take the pressure off the hose where it bends and solve my problem

18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

engine and waterpump are from a70s corvette with a long water pump.i think fitting a short pump would help things a lot. 1 5/16 shorter