Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC engine to Ford Toploader Adapter

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Chop50, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Chop50

Chop50

Hi All,
    Is there such a thing as a SBC engine to Ford Toploader Adapter?
    Thanks, Steve

2. I've never seen just an adaptor per se, but Lakewood used to make a scattershield that would accept one and may still.

3. This would be the simplest solution. The only issue I can see is if the input shaft length becomes and issue.

4. Truckedup

Truckedup

Here's a guy who made a housing to adapt a top loader to a Chevy...Don't freak out over the impressive but off topic drag car...Scroll way down for the clutch housing fabrication
    https://grannys.tripod.com/20102.html

Tman likes this.

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have a couple of McLeod housings, they are Chevy/Chevy, Chevy/Ford. Don't know if they still make them, however they re-certified one for me recently. IMG_3721.JPG

6. 55blacktie

55blacktie

You could sell the Toploader to a Ford guy and buy a Muncie. Make 2 people happy.

7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

And then the Munchie will go boom lol

8. Is a 39 Ford a top loader?

9. 55blacktie

55blacktie

MeanGene427, have you ever owned a vehicle/w a Muncie transmission? I have, an M22 "Rockcrusher" behind an L78 396. It did not go "boom," LOL. Ford transmissions don't fail, right? Any transmission, regardless of make, regardless of application, can fail. The AOD in my 5.0 Mustang had to be rebuilt under warranty. Isn't that a Ford transmission? Nevertheless, my 55 Tbird, which has been in the family for 50 years, is getting a Ford C4 in place of the Fordomatic, while the Ford 292 Y-block remains.

10. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Thinking that a Munchie is a strong trans is the height of being Chebbrainwashed lol- I made a lot of money in the old days selling Munchies, sometimes repeat customers. You had the strongest version, and had good luck- emphasis on "luck". Munchies go for a premium these days just because few survived. Lots of toploaders still around

11. I could be 'mean' and point out it took GM three tries to get the Muncie 'right'. The M-22 may have been built from embarrassment as the Chevy racers were converting to Ford toploaders almost wholesale until the M-22 appeared in '67, which is why those Ford-pattern scattershields exist. Or that Pontiac and Olds bought Ford 3.03 toploader three speeds as the base manual trans in the early GTOs and 442s as they didn't trust the GM versions. The mighty TKO and most 4-speed race manuals are all based on the Ford trans design... But I'm not trying to be mean.... ;)

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  12. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

So, why did OT Pontiac Firebird come from the factory with Ford 3 speed top loader transmission? Paul Harvey once asked "How do you keep your GM car all GM when it says FoMoCo on the transmission?" (Maybe not exact quote, but very close.)

Sorry, should have read above post more closely. Lol.

13. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I thought for sure Trans Dapt made one back in the day and looked at my catalogs. Nope. The Ford trans showed for their adapters were 1949 to 1964 and were most likely T10. My latest catalog is 1968..maybe Trans Dapt made one later, but I doubt it. Your best bet is a scattershield as mentioned above..

14. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have an Offenhauser adapter on my car. However, the transmission is one of those Ford top loader 3 speed and overdrive units without the dual bolt patterns so I had to drill two new mounting holes on the transmission. I purchased it from Speedway.

15. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

One obvious reason why there isn't very many adaptors to put a top loader behind a Chevy is because they shift like molasses in the winter.