Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC-BBC Bearing Clearances-"Kind of a drag"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anchorboy46, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Hey Brothers- What do you recommend on Rod and main bearing clearences?
    From what I've gathered, Looks like 0015 to 0025 on the rods and 0015-0028 on the mains. Thrust(crank end play) should be no tighter than 006 and not more than 011.
    I've been told that when you check main bearing bore,you measure from the top to the bottom since the bore isn't truly round because of the half shell.
    I came up with the charts down below. Seems the more clearance you get more windage,where the oil leaves the jounals. Also,since the piston skirts and wrist pins are splash oiled, this is something to consider when figuring your clearances.
    What bearings do you guys recommend. I don't really care for the Cevite Mexican brand- Prefering U.S. Federal Mogul tri metals. What is the skinny with you guys? Mikey

Attached Files:

2. Herdez

Herdez

You should post this over on speedtalk to get a response.
    The way I see it, as long as I fall no shorter than factory perf specs and not outside the highest specs you posted I call it good - All I ever build is "at home" street stuff. I also stay away from over heated and over exposed engine cores in the first place. Plastigage is cheap insurance. :)

Splash, with old style flat tappet cams, uncoated forged pistons at low rpms is something Im concerned with when it comes to todays new oils so I stay away from anything over the counter. I also dont use hi volume with stock pans if your motor likes to rev. End play, I rather be on low passing specs than high. If theres to much on a crank used with a standard tranny I pass. There is more force applied with a standard then with an auto. Cranks are cheap nowadays even for a 383 stroker crank. Clevlite77 tri metal is what I used last, never had issues before.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010