Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbc 3x2 2gc jet sizes, opinions, suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by murf-lostincity, Oct 30, 2008.

1. murf-lostincity

murf-lostincity

i am collecting sll the stuff to build me a tri power for my small block that will go in my 54 chevy

i talked to one of the old timers at hot rod carburation about jet sizes

he told me they have never had to put in anything bigger than 55-57 for the primary carb in there projects

he said i should jet the primary 56-57 and do the outboard carbs at 55

i have read about people using larger jets on the outer than the middle kinda makes sense
    when you floor you want more gas so engine doesnt starve at higher rpms, right? (especially if you have a mild cam?)

well at the same time i want to listen to the guy because well thats what he does for a living and has the experience to back it up

i also asked him about power valve if i should switch to a 4g power valve, he said i could but all i really need to do is loosen the spring pressure and im good to go ,since im running a mild cam vacuum would be low at idle.

any opinions suggestions wanted

2. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Listen to your buddy. He is absolutely correct. Unless your motor is a ground pounder his recommendation is correct. Remember you will only be using a power valve in the primary. And you will also need to fatten the idle tubes in the primary.

3. murf-lostincity

murf-lostincity

heres a stupid question:

how do you widen the idle tubes?

4. Clutched

Clutched

what if it is straight linkage?

5. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I didn't say widen I said fatten. Meaning to open the idle tube holes about 2 sizes. As per the post below this if you are going to run straight linkage all bets are off and there is another school of learning to that.

6. murf-lostincity

murf-lostincity

fatten, got it
    i am new to tripower
    how toi go about opening idle tube holes 2 sizes ?

7. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I currently run 56s in the primary and 55s in the secondaries. Works very well.

8. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Use a pin drill. If you don't have any or can't find them I will be glad to do it for you no charge .

9. gypsy

gypsy
    from florida

I have a question regarding a more unique set up. I have bought a 350 with cam, aluminum heads, 671 Weiand blower, with rochester tripower. The guys that originally set it drilled out the main jets to the point that they gas foul the plugs and they are relly black and sooty in a short time. What jet should I run in the center and outboard carbs? Do I need to do anything with the power valves in the carbs? Thanks