Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC/39 trans open drive in 32 stock frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rc32tx, Sep 1, 2012.

1. rc32tx

rc32tx

I've got a 283, a trans adapter, 39 trans and a stock 32 frame. If I convert the 39 trans to open drive, will this set up fit in a stock 32 frame without mod
    to the k member?

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Not if you convert it to open drive. Why not just leave it closed drive? If you go through the drivetrain, they are very reliable.

3. Koz

Koz

I agree. The Ford banjo is stronger than the trans and they run super sweet when set up right, plus they just have the look. I run this setup, (a lot!), an never have drivetrain problems. The '40 style rear is the right width, has the good guts, and takes all the common wheels without any conversion bullshit.

Henry had it right. Why did you want the open rear?

4. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Yes and no welding or cutting fitting the sbc into the engine compartment or grand into the members

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Sure it will fit. The basic size of the parts doesn't change. You will have to modify the suspension in the rear for what ever open rear that you choose but the engine and trans will fit just fine. I don't understand the need for an open rear though. The trans is the weakest link. I've had a number of early Ford banjos behind a Chevy and never had a problem with them. I'm not a tire roaster though. JMO

6. rc32tx

rc32tx

One thing that I did not mention, is that, I had planned on using a model a
    rear crossmember. I'm not familiar with the Ford banjo as much as the Ford 9".
    I could hunt down a 1940 banjo and go with the closed drive. Would I still be able to use the Model A crossmember and will the tank remain in the same location with the closed drive?

7. rc32tx

rc32tx

Also, I have planned to replace the 39 box gears with Zephyr gears.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Why do you want the A crossmember? Usually it was used to clear the quick change center section. If you are not using a QC then forget about the A Xmember and you wont have to cut the floor. A QC center section will require notching of the the gas tank. I have a 35 up rear Xmember in my roadster. Except for bragging rights I see no need for the LZ gears either. You can lie about it and say you have LZ gears and who could tell? The advantage of the LZ gears is the ratio spacing for racing. They are not any stronger but much more costlier just for the bragging rights. With a SBC you won't have a problem IMHO

[​IMG]

My Chevy powered Deuce. It's a 1970 LT-1 so it's not a weakling.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  9. Koz

Koz

My A-V8 with a 283, '39 box and banjo. It uses a stock "A" type frame and the "A" rear crossmember. They can set considerably lower than thios but I liked it kinda' high.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a build thread on here for this car if it helps. Same setup in my sport coupe with a little more frame work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rc32tx

rc32tx

Good to know. Thanks for you help guys. I may swap in a QC in the future.