Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Saw Mill Special.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mitch 36, Apr 8, 2018.

1. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

^^^^^^^^ I vote for something like this or a roadster Pick Up (RPU)... your choice of drive train. Maybe stretch the hood for a straight six, or V6... or find a late model 4 cylinder and make it look retro.

Good Luck!!!

2. I dunno, my son wants it ALL prewar parts if at all possible. I'm even saving all the bolts and nuts that come off in one piece during disassembly. I kinda have to agree with him on this one, looking at both my 36 Ford ( not so much, it is a really nice build..) and 36 Chevy( that frowned upon front suspension) they appear to be a mismatch of eras when it comes to the parts I used when building them. ( family raising budget had allot to do with that)I really feel that this car will be my "SWAN SONG" so to speak where I can combine my talents to build a really traditional type of hot rod. Mitch.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Stogy and Okie Pete like this.
  3. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Name for this project: "Sawbuck (x10)"

4. This is where it is today,, just playing around with my brain on a nice mountain day... I hope its more like Saw Buck x less than ten ...Mitch 20180415_143509.jpg 20180415_143456.jpg

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Fun project! I was enthused when you mentioned the Mopar "wavy" axle, I had one under my '36. Likewise, the thought of a Chrysler or Dodge truck big six sounded like a good motorvator, they've gotta be out there and cheap, plus, it'd keep it all Dodge. Whatever you use, it'll make a really cool little car. :)

6. Wow, great find, a lot to work with!! My username is 1927graham, that comes from a truck my grandfather bought in 1928, it's still in my family, in great shape!

7. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

8. Yea Brian this car needs that axle, not yet sure of engine choice. I pulled the head and got the valves working nice BUT #3 has some bad scoring in the cylinder wall, looks like the wrist pin broke and gouged 4 grooves in the front and back of the bore. So much for trying to save this one....with 94,000 on her ticker it was probably wheezing anyways. Maybe we willget a late model LS motor and........NAH,, I'm just kidding. Hey, Doodlrodz, your modified has the look I'm going for , I'm really liking that. Mitch.

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Sleeve used to be around $100 a hole. You could save the motor if you want.

10. madfish

madfish

Photoshop fairy stopped by.

modified dodge.jpg

nunattax, jetnow1, bymanr and 15 others like this.
  11. I like it. Gotta get this 36Ford into someone else's garage so I can get to work. Mitch.

12. Rich, it's missing the carb and some oil filter/tank gizmo off the engine. The carb is no biggie as I was going to make a custom manifold tube and mount a down draft carb but I'm not sure about the oil thing.( I should know this). Plus when you add in the little stuff ,clutch, machining , pistons, clutch etc it all adds up to being out of his reach, unless Dad steps up. I am going to contact the Montana boys and see what they have to say. MITCH.

13. mkebaird

mkebaird

Here ya go. Always liked this one.

25_dodge.jpg

BigO, Jet96, Damnford53 and 8 others like this.
  14. Thank you - that's it - l was always amazed at the thought and ingenuity that went into it

48fordnut likes this.
  15. dwollam

dwollam

The 218/230 flathead 6 is only 1/2" longer from the back of the head to the front of the fan than the 4 cyl. I am getting ready to put a '53 218 into a '23 Roadster. In a '24-'27 there is more room so shouldn't be any problem.

Dave

16. noboD

noboD

The reason DB's were used in so many tractor/sawmill type conversions was they were dependable. Take a look at the auction bill for Auburn coming up soon for inspiration on a cool yellow speedster. The oil tank/filter you think you are missing is probably the vacuum tank for gas. It would have mounted on the head on driver's side. It drew gas from the tank for the carb. As David said most of the carbs will fit and work perfectly. And Mitch, I like your thinkin' of kicking the Ford out so you have room to work on the DB.

Okie Pete and Stogy like this.
  17. This is all great info....thanks guys. Mitch.

18. Nothing new to say at this time. Working on getting a rebuilders title here so when it's almost done I can get a proper Colorado title. Still going round and round on engine/trans/ differential choices, hopefully finding stuff close to home. I got a vision in my head BUT my brain has lead me astray before!!! Mitch. OH HEY, anyone wanna buy a nice 36 Ford Tudor ????

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  19. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

You and are on the right path. The parts you need will appear as needed, if you let the HAMB know your needs. Trust your hart and your son.

20. Thanks Jim, Dave is kinda realizing that this build might be out of his financial reach so he will probably take my 36 Chevy pickup, I'll sell the 36 Ford Tudor and build the Dodge for me. Only time will tell for sure. I need a shop like Bill just put up in "HOOSIER LAND", that way i wouldnt have to sell something just to build something...Mitch.

21. The Dodge flathead six dates back to well before WWII.

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/flat.html

They all look pretty much alike and using one of any age would be correct for your build. Later is better because like all long production motors they were continuously improved.

Regardless of the era you are building to, use the latest transmission that will work. Something like a T5 with overdrive. If you use an era correct transmission you are going to get an era correct top speed.

22. It's been a while since I posted anything but it's been just sitting in the drive collecting pine pollen while my bum knee heals. The last couple days have been spent pulling it apart for easier storage while we try to collect appropriate parts . Only broke ONE bolt taking it appart, gotta love dry climates. Here's where I am so far. Probably the first time its been inside since she rolled outta the factory. Anyone need a Dodge engine and trans???? 20180710_184115.jpg Slow going .....Mitch 20180710_183913.jpg

Okie Pete likes this.
  23. silverdome

silverdome

24. evintho

evintho

$100...…………..really??!!!:eek::eek::p:p:cool::cool:

25. Yea really, they just had to get it and another Dodge Brothers touring gone. After watching what "MIKE and FRANK" pay outlandish prices for, I feel like I won the lottery! Hopefully i can keep the low price thing going,,,,,wishful thinking maybe. MoparMontana huh, I'll have tolookhim up, got more stuff than just the engine and trans, mostly small stuff. Mitch.

26. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have a few parts left over from my 1926 DB. just a few

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That's actually Montana Dodge Boys. But Pete is a big buyer of Dodge Fast Fours. And yours is not a "Fast Four". Worth a try though Mine is on it's way to New Zealand I guess. Don't know if he is looking for more of them.

28. philo426

philo426

Have you considered turning it into a RPU?That would be cool!Nice project with many options as to how to build it!

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]First time I've ever seen the DB generator. Most are on those kids buckboards from the 1920's. Bob

30. Philo, I like the RPU idea, my son is fixated on a 3 springer modified but I'm pushing for just nipping about 24 inches out the the frame, moving the rear section forward and running parallel leafs front and rear with a short bed. It would be a bit more useful as a hot rod without losing the hot rod feel, and a bit more easier on me. Rich, yea its not a fast four , I'm gonna PM him to see if he's interested in driving down to get it, I hate to scrap it cause I know someone somewhere wants it. Otherwise it's getting drug out onto my side acreage so I can visit it from time to time along with the front axle and crumpled fenders and aprons etc. !! Mitch.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018