Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Saving Dominique - Now with (slow) build thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Barn Hunter, Nov 24, 2019.

1. My mouth is agape! :eek: That thing is badass and I'm so glad the "right guy" ended up with it!

2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I guess if Dominique was mine, I'd have to pull a @moriarty and park it in the living room for awhile, just as it is.

brEad, Sancho, Roothawg and 7 others like this.
  3. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

No, I haven't found any pics as a drag car....yet. Thanks!

4. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Thanks!

5. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Thanks, man!

6. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it.

7. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Can't do. My casa is too small!

8. Bugguts

Bugguts

Great story so far! I almost forgot about the earlier teaser pictures. Looking forward to more.

loudbang and Barn Hunter like this.
  9. 62rebel

62rebel

As far as "restoring it to '56 condition", my opinion on that is that it would be not only an atrocity by destroying the work it's had done, but that, as a '56, it would be misrepresented as "stock"... it's only "stock" ONCE. If it stays stock from day one to day none, it can be called "stock" and not be a lie. Keep it custom!!!!!! Rant over.

10. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

No way is it going back to stock!

11. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

It will go back to cover car condition. Don't think I can afford the fuel injection though.

12. 97

Do what you can, start on the project and do what you can afford, MAGIC happens when people realise you are committed and are doing something special. I will bet that even though that Rochester fuel injection is damn expensive nowadays and rare as all hell, some time somewhere out of nowhere one will turn up and be yours....put it out there to the world and it WILL happen! Right now I am just kicking myself that back in 2008 I didn't buy the one I was offered for $400 by a guy in Washington State , I would be sending it to you right now!

13. Wow! That's all I can say. What an awesome find. Being close to Savannah maybe I'll get to see it in person some day. Keep us update!

Stogy, Barn Hunter and loudbang like this.
  14. This is the kind of story I come back on here to see. It will be fun to see this get put back together.

15. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Thanks! Hey, we've all passed up some good deals.

16. Squablow

Squablow

A long, boxy looking finned aluminum air cleaner over a carb will be OK if you can't do the fuel injection, I think that's understandable, and the car must have had a carb on it at some point in it's life so not entirely incorrect either, hard to pinpoint when the fuelie stuff was added on. A stock '56 Corvette air cleaner on a carb would also work and still be kinda correct.

17. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Snuggled in with a garage buddy. 20191104_171957 (2).jpg

MBog, catdad49, dana barlow and 21 others like this.
  18. do you suppose it raced in a B/SP type class @ the strip??

loudbang and Barn Hunter like this.
  19. split the difference, dual WCFB’s!
    They can be had a lot cheaper then F.I. And they are true corvette goodness.
    2BA06050-7B01-40E4-A13F-4E33FB74BF4C.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Nads, catdad49, olscrounger and 13 others like this.
  20. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Don't know. Unfortunately I've been able to find nothing about it's racing days.

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow Barn Hunter, I'm so glad you found this car AND are going to restore it to it's Custom past!!!!!! I'm not much for Corvettes, but love early Custom Vettes and 55-57 Chevy's.
    I cringe at the thought of this car being returned to stock-and seeing the custom front clip and quarters being unceremoniously tossed in a dumpster (or sitting in a swap meet space).

Once the restoration is done, you should quietly park it at a Corvette meet, leave a placard that says "Customized 56" then slip away and circle back later to hear the hard cores bitch about someone ruining a 56. Would make for great fun to leave a hidden mic'd up Go Pro running.

22. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I bet the recording would be full of expletives!

dana barlow, Sancho, scotty t and 2 others like this.
  23. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Once the restoration is done, you should quietly park it at a Corvette meet, leave a placard that says "Customized 56" then slip away and circle back later to hear the hard cores bitch about someone ruining a 56. Would make for great fun to leave a hidden mic'd up Go Pro running.

Youd be surprised. A friend of mine bought a stock 66 Corvette coupe and immediately razor bladed the paint off and installed flares and a rear spoiler. He did like a shark skin primer job on it and then he added some rare Sterling mags. Point is...at a nearby Corvette show, he expected negative comments like you mentioned, instead he only got positive ones. A small crowd formed around his car when he drove it in..it stuck out big time in a sea of sameness. Maybe it was a weird day and crowd...but I'm an optimist and hope people arent that lame.

24. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

This is what I would hope for. Fact is there are going to be reactions from both sides of the fence. But as we all say, I'm not building it for your approval......

Kroombit, SS327, dana barlow and 4 others like this.
  25. I can’t get enough of this car, and I don’t like corvettes, make sure you keep us updated as it progresses, ‘60’s show cars make me happy.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and Barn Hunter like this.
  26. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

The set of door panels the racer guy made and never installed (gotta clean them)....and a detail. 20191126_123040 (2).jpg 20191126_123311 (2).jpg

27. alchemy

alchemy

Do you think you could do the restoration in white and green instead of the original white and gold? Then you could use those upholstery pieces, and include a little bit of the car's middle life too.

28. Wait a minute man,,,,,,,that pinstriped rear view mirror looks suspicious.

Are you sure Moriarity hasn’t been on this car before?
    After all ,,,he did have a lot of pics and magazines about this ride?

Hummm,,,,,I wonder?
    LOL

Tommy

brEad, Blownfuel, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  29. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I saw a post about this car on another HAMB thread and had to search it out. I'm so glad I did. This whole story---not to mention the car---is simply amazing!

I have no doubt that you are just the soul this car was waiting for to return her to her former glory. I'm stoked to see such a deserving piece of custom history brought back to life.

I am subscribed and waiting with baited breath for the parts gathering and wrench turning to begin!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Stogy, Sancho, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  30. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Thanks!

dana barlow, Blownfuel, Stogy and 5 others like this.