Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saving a Rat Rod or, How to polish a Turd

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rich Wright, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Wow, nice work.
    I now see that I need to start all over on my body. My car was cut apart with a torch and I have been fighting to get it back into shape since the day I picked it up.

2. Simply amazing, nice work on a great hot rod.

3. Wow!
    Great work with a beautiful end product.
    Only 500 hrs?
    That's pretty impressive!

4. pitman

pitman

A compliment from one of "our" paint guys!
    I was appreciating along w/Earl re: the flanging dolly, and numerous other tricks. The top install did clear up some possible ways of doing things, thanks for taking time to show it step by step. And the paint finishing sequence.

5. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

6. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

WOW, fantastic body work skills, and a real gift to the HAMB members by taking all those pics and describing the process.

A teaching lesson and inspiration to us all.
    :D:)

Enjoy your free time!

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed, I'm sure that many of us will be studying this thread for a long time to come to get ideas and inspiration on how to do repairs on our own projects and make them just a bit better.

Thanks.

8. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

thank you for sharing your incredible talent, very much appreciated.

9. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Like a breath of fresh mountain air.

Amazing!!!!

10. Poor, Rich. Looks like you're never gonna be able to live the mini bike incident down. However, consider the source of your ridicule wore a Little Kitty back brace! ;):D:D:D

11. msalamanca

msalamanca

12. Rich, you know I love Dean like a brother & respect him greatly for his accomplishments, just like I do for you. But you have to admit it's fun to mess with him occasionally, in an endearing way, of course, just like it's fun to mess with you occasionally. :rolleyes::)

My only regret was that I didn't get to witness the mini bike mishap!!!! :D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  13. daddylama

daddylama

Amazing work, and a wonderful swan song! That little A came a long way...

Along with the knowledge/skill sharing on the HAMB, one thing I've become grateful for is people mentioning solvent sensitivities and just how much damn damage chemicals can do. It made me wise up about my work practices before too much damage happened. Still have a couple decades of exposure before this, but better late than never. I hope to be healthy and building for a long time still...

Thanks for sharing-

14. Little Terry

Little Terry

I really enjoyed reading this one, but would have preferred to have been watching over your shoulder through the whole process. I learned a lot anyway.
    Mark.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Nice work, great color!!

16. When Dean gets here, we'll have to do a group hug . :eek::rolleyes:;):D

17. Excellent write up and explanation. This really shows the talent and dedication to doing things correctly. Or at least correct as that ragged body would let you! Thanks for sharing the process and the pics to go along with the text.

18. lucky ink

lucky ink

Has anyone said.......HELL YEAH!!!! Great job

19. Wowowowowowowowowow!!!!

Words cannot express my gratitude to you for sharing this with us!

20. Mart

Mart

Wow, Rich, what a transformation. The Blue looks fantastic.
    The owner picked the right guy, that's for sure.

Mart.

21. rick finch

rick finch

Even Dean Lowe's opinion of my mini bike riding ability. That curb should not have been in my way:D[/QUOTE]

Consider the source, what the hell does that old hump know? :rolleyes:

22. teejay99

teejay99

Holy Crap ......what a project . I got tired just READING about the work involved , let alone actually doing it . I think you hit a home run .

Terry

23. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Bitch'n work. Well done.

24. deto

deto

awesome build thread.

25. robber

robber

To echo all before me... WOW!!! My post will just get lost in this sea of complements, but you are completely deserving of the admiration of all of us! Obviously, Rich, you know your stuff and its very apparent that you spent a lifetime honing your skills. Truly an amazing unchop and saving of a car! When I started reading the thread, I had no idea how beautful it would become. I am humbled by your abilities and good taste! Thank you for sharing this with all of us and I wish you the very best in all that you desire...may your plugs keep firing on all cylinders!!! ;):):cool:... robber

26. hotrodbrad

hotrodbrad

Sweet mother of god...you do some excellent work. Much respect!

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

For one of the very rare times in my life that I've been speechless I'll readily admit to this being one of them. This thread should be required reading for every beginner "hot rodder". I can't recall ever reading a more complete report on what it takes to correctly transform an apparent "lost cause" into a solid usable product. Ever hear the old saying "you can't make a silk pure out of a sows ear"? This thread proves that one isn't always true.

Frank

28. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

You have definately proved the old saying "It's in too bad of shape to fix" to rest........it must have been said by someone that had never saw your work and ability..........."WHAT A TALENT".........Your one of the guys that people will sit around and talk about for years to come.........................................I love Model A's

29. nali

nali

I think you are really crazy :p
    I love crazyness
    I love it :p

30. IRISH13

IRISH13
    from SoCal

Bitchn work. That car turned out just right. Love nailheads too.