Register now to get rid of these ads!

saving a 292 (L6)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63ChevyII, Aug 23, 2008.

1. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

I got my hands on an old 292 block. I'd like to save it for a future project - what do I need to save at a minimum. I have very limited space - the easier the thing is to move around the better.. Can I pull the pistons and crank out and just save the block?

2. Twisted6

Twisted6

Build a dolly for so it sits low to the ground I do that with many of my 250s But at the very least you need to keep the crank. But stock rods will not be easy to come by.Then you stuck trying to get after market ones that will fit.

3. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

Thanks Larry.

If I'm keeping the crank, just pulling out the rods won't save me any space or much weight. I'll just pull the head off and hold onto the rest for now.

Am I mistaken in thinking that the 292 blocks are getting hard to find or will be soon?

4. SAVE THE WHOLE THING! No reason to scrap part of it, the block takes up thesame space w or w/o the other parts.

5. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

Motor dolly;
    1 pc. 3/4 ply wood, the width of the bell housing x length of motor
    2 pc. 2x8 or 2x10 24' long dedending on which pan you have.
    4 ea. casters.

Save it all.

6. David Chandler

David Chandler

If you keep the bottom end as is, by all means oil it up periodicly, and turn it over enough to keep things from becoming stuck. I usually tear engines down when I store them, as I usually intend to rebuild them before they go together.