Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Save the Oklahoma City Fairgrounds Track!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brian26, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Traditional Rodders-

OkC was the site of the Thrid annual NHRA Nationals in 1957. The city and the fairgrounds knocked that one out, and now that show is in Indy.

Now, they want to end the oval dirt track too. this site is 55 years old, and is a future site of a vintage race car meet should it survive.

This is an online petition, please network and help--

http://www.petitiononline.com/saveosfs/petition.html

2. Signed! Link passed to a couple of other local car club forums.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  3. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

4. mow too much

mow too much

Signed. Brian, do you have any pictures of the #54 Super-modified car owned and driven by Bill Lewis in the 60's and early 70's mainly OKC and some at Tulsa ?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  5. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Why would they do that? We have an oval dirt track thats been running for half a century or more? More I think........its SO lucrative.

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Done. When I was a kid in Minnesota, my dad always took us to the State Fair to see the races there. It was originally a 1/2 mile dirt track, later reduced to 1/3 mile. My dad, brothers, and I saw Bill Vukovich race there among others.:) They quit racing there about 5 years ago, and last year they plowed it under. What a waste. When is this gonna end?:confused:

7. blojectedj

blojectedj
    from oklahoma

Signed. I can't believe they cannot find 400 thousand for the renovations needed with all that maps money etc.

8. Rusty52

Rusty52

Signed it and will post links online when I get a chance.

9. scarson

scarson
    from OKC

I have some with Bill and a few others driving it....that was a good car and there were a lot that wanted to drive it.

10. Dirk35

Dirk35

Done,
    177 Signatures Total

11. The Fairgrounds (drag strip) in OK city is where I wrecked the original GizzleHopper AA/F Coupe way back in '62.

12. mow too much

mow too much

The thing is the state fair does not want auto racing, if its not horse related its gone, we drove by and my buddy took a picture of it on his cell phone, I spent many nights in the stands and in the pits, Kenny sold programs for many years, the place is an icon and I can't believe that its going to be demolished.:confused::mad:

13. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Signed it.
    Saw a race there back in 77 or 78 when I lived in Moore. Tremendous wreck on the backstretch that night. One car end over end several times. Parts everywhere. Stopped the race to get the guy out, the crowd cheered, trip to the hospital for stitches and he was back to the track for the feature..............as a spectator. :) The crowd cheered again.

14. jason65

jason65

I signed up, #197!

15. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Hey Shane,Go sign that petition! Or the guy pictured below will come and see ya.LOL
    You/Your family have been and seen as much if not more history there than anyone else I recognize on that petition so far.
    Where else could a WOO show be hosted in our Fair(pun intended) State?
    By the by,whatever happened to Scotts collection?

Attached Files:

16. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I'm in. Funny how they never mentioned the track in the maps 3 vote. The city is going to spend 4 mil for another minor league hockey team to come, but doesn't have the money for light and handicap upgrades. Hell, they are putting in handicap sidewalk entrances to all streets around me as a Obama stimulas, "did I mention that their is no sidewalks to connect them, and the city says they have no interest in connecting them"? Anyway, they should have got some of that money and done the upgrades for our handicapped at the fairgrounds. At the very least they could get some real enjoyment out of that! Can you tell i'm pissed? Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

17. Rusty

Rusty

18. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

#232 for me

19. mow too much

mow too much

Publicenemy, you are not the only one believe me, how much more of this STUPIDITY is going to be run down our throats, they built bike paths for 100's of thousands if not millions for the bikers, their spread all out on the rolling hills by me, WONT move over WTF, and now their going to build more for the dumb ass bikers to not use, the sidewalk deal is political joke.:mad: We're like sheep being lead to slaughter.

20. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

BTTT for the late crew.

21. evintho

evintho

I'm in Cali but I go back to OKC every couple of years, during the summer for training. I always seem to wind up at the dirt track when I'm there!
    Signed #362.

22. Sorry to see the sprint cars go, but the track has not been maintained and the promoter hasnt be real easy to deal with over the years, he could have put more money back into the track and could have made the rules follow along with other tracks. made it where a guy could run the fair grounds on fri and another track on sat without spending a lot of money.

Never understood car guys that would spend all week working on a car just to bounce it off another guys car and tear up his own shit week in and week out.

Not signing it

you guys should worry about thunder valley drag way closing due to lack of funds, where is the support for that track

23. junior 1957

junior 1957

Lanny offered to pay the renovations if the city would give him a ten year contract. powers that be said no. they want to tear it down to build a "grand entrance" to the fair grounds. what a load of crap