Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Save of the day!!(single seater)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 14, 2017.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

It's as close to 30's Indian red as I could get which is a maroon color. You can see the rear shock mount is painted in the last photos. When I was telling you about the shooting comet my pops had this vision of the comet would be where the body line turns and makes a semi circle behind that would be the trail following the body line.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think We have a Winner...;)...I love stepping back to vintage cool...Thoughts Rusty?

FlaminSingle3Comet.jpg

Credit to All that Inspired this

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Jet96, Tim, Lil'Alb and 2 others like this.
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Looks kool. I have all summer to think about it. I have Gibbs oiled the sheet metal and it will get broken in this summer in bare metal and then next fall I plan to do the tear down for paint.
    On a different note my step daughter races go carts on Saturday nights at a small short track during the summer. last week I talked with the people that run the track. I asked if I could come up and do nothing but help pack the track, they were all in so it should be fun to drive around in circles helping the kids get there track ready. Maybe there will be some good photo ops. Haha!

4. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

"Pack the track" you will be tearing it up doing opposite lock power slides! ;<).
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

Stogy, brEad and AmishMike like this.
  5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Had our indoor show this weekend. For our display my dad put his barn find 50 club coupe in front of my car with a old homemade tow bar in between. We Had a blast. F950D06B-130C-4055-8F58-810CBD707C9B.jpeg 87ACAF9B-B4CD-4FD0-814A-97A9921FED7C.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Outback, Okie Pete, OFT and 19 others like this.
  6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Had a nice early March Black Hills banana belt 70 degree day today so I put the first somewhat lengthy miles on the car. I did two trips first was about 9 miles and the second was about 14. Both times oil pressure was good and water temp went to 180 and stayed there. This thing is such a short wheel base I think it could come around on you fairly quick if you weren't paying attention. Was quite a rush getting it up to around 50/55 mph and staying with traffic.

brEad, Shadow Creek, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20200301_030303.jpg

:rolleyes:...Congrats on these evolving Milestones Rusty...55mph and all in between on the Black Hills back 40...Priceless...;)

Credit to All that Inspired This

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Very kool stogy!

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

A buddy came up this morning so I made him drive the turd pile. C8F7C463-2BC1-40A4-9FCD-01DE18224E70.jpeg 9B490D9C-55CD-424C-AAE8-3966CE32C028.jpeg

10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Took the car out for a good drive this afternoon of probably 20/25 miles one way to a buddy's shop. Thing ran flawlessly but I'm going to have to throw a few leafs back in the rear spring pack. I bottomed out several times on a few bridge approaches and crummy ole two lane black tops. Did a big ole drift leaving my buddy's neighborhood so I probably will get the evil eye from his neighbors next time I'm that way. My buddy did say it looked pretty Kool tho!!:p:p;)

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Added two leafs back in the rear spring pack and then went out Tuesday night after work to give it another shake down. We have a two lane black top that is beat to snot from heavy truck traffic so I did my test there. They car rides a bit ruffer but It didn't bottom out.
    I also loaded a gps speedo app on my phone so on the smooth road I got the car up to 62 mph and then the front end started dancing around( driving with one hand and holding the phone in the other, I know dumb I'm a dumb ass). When I mounted the tires the tire shop couldn't balance the wide five wheels so I need to find a shop that can balance them. I'm hoping 60 mph isn't going to be top speed.

Stogy, chryslerfan55, OFT and 2 others like this.
  12. I bought a wide five adapter so the tire shop could spin mine.

Stogy and OFT like this.
  13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

That's what I figured I would have to do. Did you get your adapter from speedway?

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Don't know if I would be pushing those knobbies much over 60 especially if its tail happy. Those were basically designed for WWII Jeeps that topped out under 50. Have you had any experience with them on wet pavement? Hate to see you tail first in the ditch.

15. I did. Many moons ago. If you were closer I'd loan it to you!

Stogy likes this.
  16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks, I guess you have to pay to play when you use old odd ball junk.

cactus1, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

No I haven't driven at speed in the wet yet. I guess 60 would be o.k. If I get the tires balanced so it doesn't dance around.

18. RodStRace

RodStRace

I've never been to South Dakota, but I'd venture to guess that there are some old-timer shops around, if you know where to look. Try to find a shop that has tools and equipment from the HAMB era and ask if they can spin balance on-car. You want something that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

If they don't have one, ask if they know someone who does.
    These don't do the inside/outside balance well, but they can be amazing for really getting the right amount of weight in the right place and check for an out-of-round wheel/tire. Narrow combos like yours really don't require the inner/outer as much anyway.

brEad, OFT and Stogy like this.
  19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I've heard spin balancing is the best I don't know of anyone in our area that has these older machines. I have gotten to know the owner of the tire shop I frequent , I was telling him if he found a tire shaver he could probably pay for it rather quickly if word got out that he had one. There are quite a few traditional hotrods around here that run bias ply.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Do I recall those being new tires from Coker? If so, they are modern construction and materials with an old fashioned tread. If you are concerned about maximum speed, call the manufacturer and ask.
    The knobby tread is just a mud and snow tread that has nothing to do with Jeeps and was commonly used for dirt track and board track racing as far back as the 20's from the vintage photos I've seen.

OFT and Stogy like this.
  21. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

[​IMG]
    Here are a couple from the "Modifieds as they were" thread.
    [​IMG]

22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yes they are from Coker. I’m not worried about the speed rating just want to get rid of the bounce in the front end. I don’t think I will see sub-stained speeds above 65. The motor seemed to be barking at 60. I do need to get my old tach figured out so I know what rpm I’m running at hiway speeds.

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rusty if conventional balance won't work I suppose you have warranty but the other option is the balance beads that made a noticeable difference to my Bias plys...Note I am running tubes but they can work also in tubeless if I'm not mistaken...I put 3 ounces in each tire.

24. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

You might use a bubble balancer and one of your front hubs, or make a plywood wheel adapter. Lots of bubble balancers on ebay. Not as good as spinning, but might fix the problem.
    Out of round you can probably do yourself with a flappy wheel on a grinder and some sort of holding fixture for the grinder.

brEad likes this.
  25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't know how I missed this thread...Subscribed.

26. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy Spring @rusty rocket that looks exceptional. You have in addition to your Hotrod Crafting Skills a great artistic Hand

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Damn!!!
    That number is pretty sexy looking!!!!

Stogy likes this.
  29. Love the number. I still smile every time I see your car. It makes me think of a runaway bumper car.

Stogy likes this.
  30. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

That's brilliant, well done that man!
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

chryslerfan55 likes this.