Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saturday night on Central ave. AZ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tri-Powerguy, May 8, 2012.

1. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Come one come all, we are trying to put the fun back in Saturday nights. Lets get together talk cars, and enjoy these nights while we have them. I have been wanting to see us take back Central for a long time. Meet at Mcdonalds, even if your car is under construction. With all the gear heads in Phoenix you always find somebody willing to talk cars, Give it a try 6:30 till ?
    Hope to see you there

2. brady1929

brady1929

central and what? i don't remember.

3. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I went there back in 76, 77 my in laws had moved out to Phoenix, and my sister in law took us down central ave.It was pretty Kool back then .

4. I say F%#! Central and down town Phoenix after the last cruze. How about we all go and support another city and start a new trend.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Naw, this isn't the big 3 ring circus deal of a few weeks ago! What we are trying to do is slowly re-introduce weekly CRUISING. We're not talking lawn chairs, cry baby dolls, and food and face painting booths, CRUISING. I spent upwards of three nights a week on central in the late seventies, eighties and into the ninties befrore it was shut down. I went before the city council and other groups to try to save it then.
    This is show up at McDonald's and say hi to friends, see what everybody is working on and take a couple of swings up and down the street. Nothing exotic, nothing organized or permitted, nothing to charge anyone for. It's gonna be a long hot summer gang, let's have some fun on Saturday nights...

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Get Mesa going again, I used to be out there allot too!

7. Makes more sence now. The whole look at my lifted Truck with matching trailer and quad next to a stock charger that just came off the lot sucked.
    How about one Sat we could cruze in Glendale, the next in Mesa, then Phoenix, not in that order just a different place every weekend?

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not a bad idea, but my mission is to get Central back up and going. Sounds very much like it used to be here in town when Central happened Friday, and Saturday and a much smaller group on Wednesday nights too. Then, we would frequently jump from Central to Metro Center, or Mesa, or even down town Tempe. Tempe was very much a different scene alltogether 'cause it was all about meeting women, not setting up races and being car guys.
    I have a bit of an ulterior motive for Central happening again... I bought my home '88 12 doors off of Central to be in the thick of the things I loved.

9. 4bangertroy

4bangertroy
    from Phoenix

I really hope we can get this going again. Two weeks ago was pretty good. It felt like the old days, when Arbys was where McDonalds is now. I too was there most Friday and Saturday nights, and any Wednesdays when I wasn't wrenching at my shop.

If each of us tell 2, or 10, friends we can keep it going thru summer; then it should really grow in the fall.

See you guys Saturday night!

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  10. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

We cruised through there last weekend & it musta been too late. (9 ish)
    Didn't see anyone. Went out to Pavillions for a while then down to Central.
    Maybe we'll hit it this weekend. I've been passin' the word.

11. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Thinkin I might show up...

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

do so!

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

TONIGHT!!! Afterdark at McDonalds at Clarendon and Central... Be There!

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Great night tonight! About twenty five cars showed tonight, we made a couple passes down central. I hope this grows and grows!

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Might as well bump this one too!

17. It's Tuesday which means you should be making plans for Central this Saturday night!

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hell yes! How goes the Great white North? (almost)

19. It goes. Last week was great weather, had a few 80* days, and a nice Saturday for the Monroe swapmeet. Had some super nice days for wrenching on my C10. Got my 4bbl Offy intake, and cast headers installed, and have been working on getting everything routed, and plumbed. Built some brackets for the 90* bend in the throttle cable, and just a bunch of little tinkering. All that fun little stuff. I'm stoked to be back in a well outfitted shop, even if it is a little packed with too much stuff. Should be completely driveable here in the next few days. I'm looking forward to putting it on the lift, and building the exhaust for it. I haven't had the bender out in awhile. It will be nice to hear that thing roar to life, crank some tunes, and do some bending/welding. I'm thinking 2 1/4" immediately in to 36" Cherry Bombs, and then 2" all the way out the back.

I'm going to try to get a shop night going for the local guys. There are very few of us, but, I'm hopeful I can get something like you guys have going happening up here.

I'm already making plans for next winter. Hopeful to find something I can rent with a little bit of a shop space this time. Need a short term lease though, so, that'll make it tricky.

And again to everyone down there, get your stuff together, and start going to this! BUMP! :)

20. Tomorrow nights the night. Go cruising Saturday night, you can sleep on Monday!

21. we need something like this in tucson

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No reason you can't. Just do it. It's time to take back what so many of us enjoyed as youngsters and just go out and do it. Get your car out and call two friends and let them know where you are heading out to, and tell them to let at least two friends know. It builds as the friends grow. Keep it moving though. some how in the last twenty years a "cruise night" has devolved into a outdoor car show. The whole purpose of the cruise night was to get around the area and see what everybody else was up to, or maybe set up your races that took place elsewhere.
    If there is something cool happening in town some where else, use your cruise as an excuse to get together and head out to what ever that event is as a group. Few times in life are ever actually better than running a batch of similar cars and friends around out in a group.
    On the last page of "Central avenue Cruise" thread I formulated some basic "rules" to keep this stuff going without police intervention, i suggest you take a look at them.