Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***Santa's Banger Sleigh: December 2014 Banger Meet***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Dec 1, 2014.

1. skryla

skryla
    from Brick, NJ

Does anyone make a fan to attach to the v8 water pump conversion?

2. Crank bolt backed out. No wires ARP 12 point flywheel bolts loc tite supposedly torqued to 80 lbs.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Not that I've been able to find so I ran w/o one. Original Rad had been flushed and repaired and asphalt based painted locally. Never overheated even in traffic in summer with just water and water wetter. It was a crappy motor so I didn't care. Now on a good motor I would have a backup electric from a Taurus.

4. Years ago, I sat in on talk given by Dema Elgin. Elgin owned Elgin Engineering (now in Petaluma) and taught at a local college. I think the subjects he taught pertained to engine design, engineering and construction. During the lecture he showed us video shot with a super-fast speed camera. The components of a running Ford Model A engine showed a three main crankshaft appearing to flop around like pasta at different speeds. He told us that the block had been align bored for both the crankshaft and cam. All components he said were balanced. He explained that reciprocating engines WILL set up harmonic Sine waves both in horizontal and lateral axis at particular speeds depending on many factors. He told us that a damper on a crank will tend to dampen these sporadic waves. He said that those of us running A's and B's a widely varied an high speeds will eventually break cranks. And, they will break at or near the rear main.

I had just broken my second crank in my race engine. The first one broke at the rear main; the second at the flange. Two subsequent engines with harmonic dampers have had no such problems. A harmonic damper DOES NOT balance an engine. It dampens the said harmonics. It seems to me that someone on the HAMB has submitted a computer generated image of this phenomenon.

The late Jay Steel put my dampers together using those used of a SBC.

5. briphaeton

briphaeton
    from cal

Thank you, Well said. I'm interested in a harmonic damper for those reasons.

6. Is this too rusty to reuse ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419825101.728257.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419825126.640864.jpg
    All cam lobes are nice and high, with the very light spring pressure loads in these engines, is having a "perfect" looking cam so critical in a low power A?
    I'm only aiming for a 60 HP engine and happy to reuse this cam as long as it does not damage new lifters.
    This is just a budget build and would rather put my money into my next more performance orientated engine.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  7. And Dema is correct, the damper does not balance the rotating assy.
    And yes, it does dampen some of the harmonics, to what level depends on too many factors/variables than we can discuss here.
    Here is a fact that many do not know, you cannot balance a in-line 4 cylinder motor. You can balance the crank assy, and equalize the piston/rod assemblies. But, the acceleration of the pistons going up is not the same as going down and will cause in balance and harmonic vibrations with torsional stresses.

Like I said earlier, if you have a damper on the motor and it works, Great!
    I just don't buy it as the cure-all for crank breakage.

J

8. I had to go look in my backup drive for this.
    It explains some of the variables and application differences.

Enjoy, John

Attached Files:

9. That BHJ material is really complete. Thank you. It underscores the need to use, or not, a damper depending on the type and use of your engine. I feel that I need a damper on my race engines, in that on road courses, the motor is put through a number of varied regimes.

10. OD,
    yes, I have read this many times.
    My personal race motors do not use them, but then again, I don't have a flywheel or clutch to deal with.

Have a Happy New Year, J

11. The main difference between the CDO design and the dampeners as supplied to me by Jay Steel is/was the Jay Steele design used 1/4 28 Allen set screw "Scotch keys" to drive the dampener. Actually, I was shown this dampener by Vic King at the first Temecula hill climb a few years back.

12. I feel that I should state that in true Vic King fashion he offered to sell me a complete modified unit or furnish for free the dimensions so I could make my own. He will be missed.

13. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Rich I would not use any cam with rust pitting it will just tear up your new lifters

14. Bill,
    So true, the 4E4 club is dwindling at an alarming rate.
    The accumulated knowledge there is staggering.

Plan on coming out to the Antique Nationals, June 28 2015
    Damn, 2015 already, I wish the race car would accelerate at the same rate time seems to be going by..................

Happy New Year, J

15. RussTee

RussTee

Yes happy new year everyone fine and very hot summers day down here in the South Island of New Zealand

16. blgitn

blgitn

Happy New Year to you all!!
    Has there been a comparison made of the heat stove type single down-draft intake with the unheated type?

single.jpg scalded dog.png

I need to pick one for a street engine project with:
    6:1
    Stipe grind
    1.7" intakes, shimmed springs
    lightened flywheel
    counterbalanced crank
    stock exhaust manifold w/ glasspack

Thanks for your opinions and help.

R/ Roger.

17. briphaeton

briphaeton
    from cal

Would you please share the dimensions? Thanks

18. Your best bet would be to contact crazy daddy o on this forum I used his dimensions last time I made an adapter

19. Jiminy

Jiminy