Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sandblasting for fun

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lolife, Nov 11, 2014.

1. lolife

lolife

I was at Northern Tool and I was talking to the salesman about a sandblaster, and they were all high priced. He said, how about $20. Hell yea! So we went out back and he had a return laying in a corner. I stopped off at the lumber yard to get some playground sand, lit up the BBQ and commenced to empty my air tank. I started with a small block manifold, and that was fun.
    manifold.jpg
    so rolled out an old set of magnesium Halibrands and did the back side first, as I was "scared" to do the front. It turned out OK, hell, this is a good place to begin polishing. Here's a front wheel to show what it started like.
    front-wheel.jpg
    It's kind of fun, although I think I need a regulator on my air tank, as it can consume some sand wide open!
    halibrand-rear.jpg
    Happy motoring...

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

those tires look like old pirelli's

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. your fun will be short lived if you dont wear a respirator using sand.

4. retromotors

retromotors

Great fun, ain't it!
    Here's a couple hints you might want to keep in mind.
    1) After you've cleaned, washed and blow-dried your blasted item several times, do it all a couple more times, especially if it has any corners or crevices that can trap sand.
    2) For heaven's sake, wear some sort of breathing protection!:eek:
    Carry on ..... have fun!

5. lolife

lolife

They are old Kleber 145 SR15's, a VW buddy sold me those back in the late 90's.

Blaster came with a hood, and you're right about a face mask! Very dusty....

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

Playground sand used as a blast medium can cause SERIOUS health issues if inhaled. This is no joking matter! Do some careful research when it comes to safe ways to blast at home.

7. Silicosis is deadly,make sure you use a proper respirator. HRP

8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

The hood will keep sand out of your hair, but as HRP said if you are using this thing protect your lungs.
    I have lung problems from an autoimmune disease and believe me it's not fun!
    KK