Register now to get rid of these ads!

San Cobble / Van Isle drag strip pics BC Canada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lueger68, Dec 6, 2013.

1. joemac05

joemac05

A San Cobble trinket I was awarded back in the day..... My name is spelled wrong (Macmurchie) but it's the thought that counts. I posted a couple of photos of the incident a while back in the "vintage shots from days gone by" thread. But this is a current shot of the vintage plaque. If interested do a search for San Cobble and it will turn up in the above mentioned thread.
    Plaque2.JPG
    Regards,
    -Joemac

2. John Doe 55

John Doe 55
    from Georgia

If anyone is interested, not long ago someone posted a video on youtube.com as to what the Van Isle site looks like today. On the youtube homepage just type in Van Isle Dragway and you should be able to find it. I believe there is also one of the current San Cobble site also.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Seeing how this came up again, I want to ask anyone that was around Van Isle in the early 70's whether this car looks familiar.

maverick4.jpg maverick2.jpg

These photos (appear) to be two different tracks, but not sure.

For a memory jogger, this photo from Mission may also help.

20160918_081402.jpg

This photo below was taken by Rich Crlson also, does this track look familiar?

20160918_081626.jpg

If these post 65 photos are offensive, I will gladly remove them.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

That is definitely Bremerton Raceway! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Thanks Butch.

6. modeleh

modeleh

Last summer I had the good fortune to meet a very nice guy who used to race his 62 Corvette at San Cobble. He brought the car out to one of a few open house events that we put on at my pal's heritage museum in Ladysmith. He is the second owner and has owned since '64. Original survivor condition that he had parked for about 30 years or so. What a treat to see in person.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

bct likes this.
  7. bct

bct

ive got a pal, tony love, with 8mm video of the track n races. early 60s I believe .

29EHV8 likes this.
  8. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

Check out VIHR.ca . check out the various albums on that site and you see historical pictures of both the strip on the Bamberton haul road, and the San Coble Hill strip that came later.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Pretty cool, the VIHR.ca site. I've only seen photos of the 57 Ford "Gunfighter"; lots of wheels up action from that car. Shutdown area looks to be even further uphill than people have told me. The "Eye Spy" car (think that's the name) had to be a handful at speed. I knew the guy who wound up with, but never "raced" the AMX wheelstander. Thanks for posting that site. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. 5w32

5w32

i just purchased a fibreglass sports car on Vancouver Island, i am looking for more history about it... a good friend remembers it on the streets of Victoria. a newspaper article in the Times Colonist has a photo of it painted yellow and says it ran 12 second 1/4 mile times so i am assuming it ran at Cobble Hill and/or Van Isle Drag strip. Any information would be a great help. Maybe some "Quarter Milers" club members might remember...

Attached Files:

11. 5w32

5w32

here is the article

Attached Files: