Register now to get rid of these ads!

Salt racers, what tires do you use...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thecarfarmer, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Haven't been here much for the last couple years. Frankly, been too poor to screw with cars, and it's just easier to forget about 'em.

Except, I've gotten roped into helping on a lakester (gonna' run a 320 Buick; XXO class) that we're hoping to have together for the Aug. 2013 meet.

First year out, we're going to just try to get some licensing and shakedown runs, running N/A on gasoline (or maybe methanol). Eventually, we're gonna' turbo the car and run on alky - but there's going to be enough 'learning curve' as it is with sorting out a new car, and learning to tune electronic engine management.

So, the question is: what tires have you run @ B-ville? (note: the first year or two, we're going to be waaaaay short of any records for an XXO lakester regardless of blown/unblown, gas/fuel with a hopped up junkyard motor, but will be eventually chasing a 211.XX mph record blown on fuel)

Thanks in advance!

-Bill

2. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

You have two choices, Goodyear or MT. No matter how fast you go the first year you must build it to meet the class record.

Blind Elwood

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you want to look Traditional, your other choice for drive tires are Dunlap 18 inch Vintage racing tires. I and many others use them up to about 250. Lots cheaper than MTs. You can get them and the Goodyear Bonneville tires from Rodger Krause In Walnut Creek Ca. Check the rule book for an ad and tire requirements.

4. The record for the class my car falls into meant I had to buy these even though the car will probably never go that fast. Check the rule book for class records and tire requirement. The tires are available through krause or shelby, same price.

5. Thanks for the replies, guys.

Luckily, the car is a dedicated XO or XXO deal - I hate to think about how much it costs to run one of those cars full of state-of-the-art stuff!