Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Sad news..........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by custom, Jan 10, 2018.

1. custom

custom
    from Ohio

Paul Longenecker passed away on Monday. He was 77 years old. For those of you who knew of him due to his racing career only, you missed the opportunity of knowing one of the most mild mannered, hunble Christian men you will ever come across.
    I first met Paul after I started to attend the same church. My brother was already attending and one day he says "ever hear of a drag racer named Longenecker?" I said Paul Longenecker? He was totally surprised I knew of him (as a teen, I was the one who followed drag racing and anything car related I could get my hands on). I have no doubt there are many at my church (2000+ people) who too will be surprised to find out Paul was once a racer at the national level.

Paul was an usher and maintenance man and everyday he was at the church bright and early to do whatever needed to be done. Always ready to help without any fanfare. Guy could fix anything. Always had a smile on his face and was well liked.

It wasn't later when I too became an usher that we began to talk about racing and cars. We instantly hit it off. Somehow, before any conversation ended, we ended up talking cars and the good old days of drag racing before it went corporate.

He was still a gear head to the end. He bought a used diesel Dodge Ram aa few years back and from the get-go the conversations were of turbos, performance chips and the finer points of hopping diesels up.
    I can recall the Sunday a year or so ago when I heard someone call out my name in the crowd of people after church and when I turned around it was Paul waving me down. He's all excited and the first thing he says is "Mark, I've got this idea for a car I want to build.....a 65 Comet with a Ford FE block...always liked the 65.....will need to find a good body that won'y need a lot of work....not going to be a full blown gasser but somthing to drive on the street." All with this gleam in his eye.
    From that day I would report back on any 65 I thought would be a candidate. Sadly, he never got around to his favorite car but knowing it wasn't his main priority, I know Paul got just as much satisfaction out of the benchracing.

Looking back on it all, I'm glad I didn't meet Paul until I was grown and his racing days were over.
    Getting to know and become friends with Paul the man and fellow Christian far outweighs anything having to do with his racing.
    I'm glad my 3 grown sons, (all into cars) also got the chance to see firsthand how, when all is said and done, it's about the type of person you are, not what you once accomplished.
    I know where Paul is now and that is all that matters.

Mark

Gotgas, 48fordnut, pwschuh and 27 others like this.
  2. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

3. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

God Bless and roll on

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Longenecker family and friends on the passing of Paul. @custom your good friend lead from all accounts a great life. May he rest in peace.

5. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Godspeed Mr. Longenecker! You will be missed.

Mark, thank you for sharing this with us. I am grieving with you brother. Please offer my deepest condolences to Mr. Longenecker's family.

1956 F100 likes this.
  6. ironrodder

ironrodder

Had the pleasure to know Paul back in the day. Not only just a good racer, no a great racer, but he and his brother Tom were the most honorable racers around. Proven more than once. Ran everything from Stock to Top Fuel and did them all well. The kind of guy anyone that knew him is better for it.
    The Best to his family.

lothiandon1940, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  7. custom

custom
    from Ohio

Thor1, Thanks.

8. custom

custom
    from Ohio

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sincere sympathy goes out to his Family, yourself and other friends and fans - have any pics of his race cars?

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Time to build a tribute car.

11. RIP
    One of his races that didn't go too well:

5window and catdad49 like this.
  12. Paul Longenecker makes a couple of rounds at Muncie Indiana at the 1973 IHRA Northern Nationals. This is a race that I actually attended. Nice mix of sponsored teams and guys running out their own pockets.

Blue One and 5window like this.
  13. 5window

5window

Really nice video. I miss those cars.

14. nice remembrance.....enjoyed the post...

15. ironrodder

ironrodder

He won T/F at the National Dragster Open at National Trails... Can't remember the year. Probably '73

16. Well said brother.

Sent from my A521L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

My sympathy to you and to Paul's family & friends. Quite a history. That '65 is out there somewhere just waiting to be built.

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

18. I saw him race in 1976 driving GL Rupp's car as I remember. RIP.

19. ^^^^^
    Memory returned. Pat Dakin drove Rupp's car. Paul's car was blue and had suffered engine fires and the rear side panels weren't repainted. That was the 1st time I saw burnt panels. :)