Register now to get rid of these ads!

S 10 T-5 on a Ford motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Nov 21, 2011.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am thinking about putting a Y block in my 37 Chevy p/u and was wondering if it would be possible to bolt a s10 T-5 to the Y block with a 4 speed bellhousing,the 37 has a S10 T-5 and would like to retain it if possible. Years ago I ran into a old farmer who had a early 60s big ford truck and he put in a 235 he had laying around and it bolted in including to the original trans,he said ole Henry would spin in his grave if he seen that so if thats possible I should be able to bolt the T-5 to the Y block if I use a big truck bellhousing unless the big trucks had a different trans bolt pattern then the smaller trucks.

2. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I think later Mustangs (around mid to late 90's) used T5 transmissions

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a mustang T-5 but it would require a adapter to put it on a y block 3 speed bellhousing but if that old guy could get that ford big truck 4 speed on the 235 I am thinking Ford and GM might have used the same trans on the big trucks but that does not seem right.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You'd have an easier time adapting a Mustang T5 to the Y-block. Also, the S10 T5 is one of the weaker T5s - fine for a flathead, but in a bigger, heavier pickup, I'd want a stronger trans. The Mustang T5 should fit that bill...and the ratios are better!