Register now to get rid of these ads!

S-10 Manual Steering boxes, anyone using them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rot'nRodder, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

Anyone familiar with em'? Has anyone ever had a manual steering S-10? I used to own one with power so I am familiar with the set up, but reason I ask is I was wondering if anyone knows if the center drag link, pitman arm, and idler are the same for manual and power.

I have been considering doing an S-10 front stub in my shoebox, but I don't want power steering. I figured an s-10 donor frame with manual steer would be more difficult to find, so just wondering if I could easily swap a manual box into it.

Also, has anyone used an s-10 manual box in thier exsiting frame as an upgrade swap with any success? From the picture I found, it looks like it would be a pretty universal box, but I don't know if the guts make it any better than an older box.

Reason I ask is the suspension and steering in my shoebox is complete shit!!! (the reason I want to clip it, plus parts are cheap and easy to come by). It's a white knuckle ride at 35mph......even after rebuilding the king pins. My steering box is shot to shit, and I've heard even when rebuilt they suck ass especially when you're running bias ply's like I am.

I've seen the volvo 140 swap, but have not been able to locate the correct unit. I can get a rebuilt s-10 manual box from any auto parts store for pretty cheap. Anyone tried swapping one of these into thier car?? Does it make any difference that the s-10 unit is forward of the cross member and if used in a shoebox is would be located to the rear?

Im not really sure if I am going to clip it or not, but either way an s-10 manual box seems like a practical solution.

I ain't afraid to take one for the team, try it out, and report back to ya'll, but just wanted some advice just in case there's something I forgot to consider. I just want my friggin' car to drive safely

Thanks

2. Lon

Lon

Everything is the same. And finding a manual box should be easy. My daily driver 82 S-10 had power steering but the box was worn out, so I put a manual box out of an 87 S-10 on it. It's a bitch in tight parking lots. And between the no power steering and the dropped spindles it takes a 40 acre field to turn around in. When you go looking for one in the junkyard look for a base model truck, no power brakes and no a.c.. I think only the 4 cylinder trucks had manual steering. Hope this helps.

3. desertrodder

desertrodder

Wrong!!! I've been doing these steering box conversions on 49-51 Fords for 25 years now. The box you are asking about will make driving a whole new experience. Turn the wheel to the right and you're going to go Left. NOT A GOOD PLAN. There are VERY FEW boxes that are compatable with the steering geometry of the shoebosx Fords. The Volvo 140 manual is by far the best set up I have ever used on one of these Fords other than the Fatman clip and rack set up which I have done about 15 of these for different clients, and as far as I'm concerned the difference in handeling quality isn't worth the cost.

4. I swapped out the power steering box for a manual in my 55 1st series, which happens to be on an S-10 frame. It bolts right up, and all the steering components are the same.
    I've got dropped spindles too, but I don't have any issues with my turning radius. Parallel parking isn't fun, but it's that way with any manual setup. Overall, I'm happy with it.

5. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

My 48 chevy flatbed is sitting on a S-10 frame. I stuck a manual s-10 box on it to simplify the installation. No complaints so far.