Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rusty 47 Ford Reserection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Apr 17, 2010.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks jim!

Like Joe mentioned its just salty damp here most of the time, I have never seen bare metal rust as fast as it does around here...

Thanks Finn!

Thanks! get yer ass in gear !

Holy crap thats hard to believe ....I hope its not another 100 pages before its on the road!

I have been doing a bunch of stuff...mostly spent the last 2 weekends working on the damn trunklid...but it shuts and latches (even unlatches!) and I reworked the opening on the lower 1/3 cause it overlapped there and didnt look right to me...I still gotta hook up some gas shocks to open it and set up the release cable. I cant find any ball ends for the oversize shocks I got for it... I finished some extra welding and bracing for the dash/column and did a bunch more seam sealing and some priming as well.I have a 4 day weekend this weekend and hope to paint the frame and maybe rockerguard the underside of the body, should be some pics for next week anyways! Anyone by chance have a decent used 55-57 Chevy gas tank? The one I had was too bad on the inside to use...been thinking about trying to build one from scratch....?

2. JAWS

JAWS

I don't see why you wouldn't just do that. I mean everything else is homemadereconsrtuctionedable.

Gas tank for you, should be a breeze.

3. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Why not buy a racing cell bladder and just build a can for it?

Should be able to find one without the fittings on top for less than $100, install the hardware from your old tank and you're done.

Something like this:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Jaz-P...od-Fuel-Cell-16-Gallon-25-x-17-x-9,34439.html

16 Gal polyethylene bladder, no fittings, just one 3/8" hole from the molding process, $85.

Build your own can, mount your fittings, and you're done. No endlessly leak checking your weld seams (unless you are TIG welding it, you'll have leaks, maybe even with a TIG).

Anyway, it's another option that might save you some trouble.

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

Can you run a sending unit in them ?

5. JAWS

JAWS

Yeah. Have to seal up the hole, but it's like doing any other custom tank. A universal sender or one matched to a gauge that is universalish, is what I've used in the past.

They are round and have five holes for mounting screws and you cut the float arm to length.

I think even some of the bladders have a provision for them.

Attached Files:

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Steve, Jaws nailed it. The sender and gauge need to be compatible. There are a couple ways to do this but if you can get a matched set out of the gate its not such a pain in the ass calibrating them. Hows the rest of the car coming?

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

With the 59 dash/guages I think they were 0-30 ohms I will have to check, it would have worked with the 55 tank sender cause they are the same ohm value ...I spent last weekend underneath it got all the underbody rocker guarded , a whole gallon and 2 spray bombs :eek: used up all I had in stock lol.I then brushed on a good coat of tremclad gloss black ...got the frame prepped and shot with some black epoxy primer , and will give the underbody and frame a last coat of semigloss black tremclad this weekend and call the underside done....I hope ! I can start cleaning up the motor/trans and give it its rattlecan r/b :rolleyes: and maybe get it in the chassis soon, I am really wanting to get it bolted down for the last time, but it will be easier to do the exhaust and plumbing with the body lifted up so it will be awhile before I get there but its on the horizon! I will get some pics up this weekend I promise !

8. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Yup, just like the other guys said.

That thing I linked to is the cross linked polyethylene type of bladder, so it is fairly rigid and resembles a plastic tank.

Some guys run them without a can, but I wouldn't do that.

You just drill/cut whatever size holes in it you need for your filler assembly, sender, etc, and just seal them to the tank with gasoline resistant gasket sheet (like buna nitrile sheet or something similar) when you bolt the stuff down.

I've used these kinds of tanks in my race cars for years, and they are very tough.

I've seen them take licks at well over 100 mph and not split or puncture.

They aren't as cut resistant as a kevlar bladder (like Fuel Safe and ATL sell), but you're not racing wheel to wheel at 200 mph here either. ;)

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

10. JAWS

JAWS

Steve, I agree with Eli.

Post up your car in this thread..^^

Where's the pics you promised us?!

11. It didn't happen if there aren't any pictures. Just ribbing ya.

12. 4rod

4rod

wow steve seems like its coming along...great work as usual

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks guys ,there has been progress! Ive been so burnt out by sunday evening that I havent had the energy to deal with the "new" photobucket....I dont like it at all! I ended up doing the mudwork on the cowl/firewall etc...lots of scars to deal with lol! And I got the dash muded up and primed...still needs a bit of work to be ready to paint but since I dont have any money for paint it doesnt matter :D. My damn fingers are still sore from all the sanding,sanded most of my fingerprints off haha. Got the control arms blasted and primed as well...if it doesnt rain again this weekend I will hopefully get the rest of the front end parts blasted ....

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Its good to hear that you're still at it. As far as sanding your fingerprints off, isn't there some sort of advantage to that? lol

15. JAWS

JAWS

Yeah, Steve, you could rob a bank and not need gloves.....

16. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Ya but he'd leave a trail of body filler dust... ;)

Glad you are still at it Steve.
    Someday I'll get back at mine. HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA
    And like the sicko that I am.. I just bought more old tin. Two closed truck cabs..A 29 and a 30 plus lots of stuff.
    No place to store it all but had to have them.
    NO.. not for sale.
    It's a sickness for sure.

"Hi" to the Mrs. for me.

Joe

17. ninosdad

ninosdad

More doors can be beautiful here is the last build, SBC Columbia 2 speed diff, leather and wood interior

Attached Files:

18. koolkemp

koolkemp

How is Fred doin Joe?? I have friend near me thats looking for 30-31 truck doors if ya have/find any that are available...

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

Ok a few pics , just primer and bondo stuff and some other prep work....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. koolkemp

koolkemp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

smoothed out the firewall too...probably about 75% ready for paint....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

22. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Lookin great!
    Color me green with envy!

I'll let Fred tell you himself, if he wants. He still is watching you on here.. just like Santa. Well.. not JUST like Santa. ;) But you still better be nice.

IF.. and I mean IF I get the urge to sell I will let you know but I'm sure I'll wait until I get one set done to make sure I have everything I need for one complete truck.
    SOOOoooo rare around here.
    Now I need a real garage. :( $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Pretty happy with how the cowl vent opening turned out...

[​IMG]

It doesnt look like much was done but I completely re worked the lower sides of the trunk opening ...the bottom 1/3 of the lid overlapped and I hated the way it looked, now it has a nice propper gap and latches/unlatches too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

The last thing I need is to piss off Santa!! Sounds like a good score I need to see some pics! He could even use some 4 door front doors ...his are worse on the upper parts they must have been upside down for quite awhile ...I could save them for him if he had some 4 door ones with decent uppers....I can relate to the $$$$ didnt have enough money to fill the oil tank for the house and they wouldnt deliver more till we paid the balance off , so we were using the electric heaters....the $1500.00 electric bill showed up:eek: :eek: so needless to say no car funds for a while :(

25. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Man... been there too many times. Not fun. :(
    It's a good thing we can still make and fix stuff without lots of money.
    Spring show up there yet?
    At least the heating bill will go away when it warms up.

I'll send some pics thru a pm when I take them.

That trunk does look cleaner that way.
    The dash looks good too.
    Ok.. everything does. :)
    How's the back?

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's looking REALLY good koolkemp. Check your pm box for some info about home heating...

Brian

27. 4rod

4rod

Totally know the shoe string budget. I've been Saving foe a wire harness from a rebel dealer here...then spent it all on my wife's car. No worries good things come to those who wait or sell on Craigslist

28. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

29. S M O O T H ! Keep it up - looking great!

rg

30. oldman2

oldman2

Really looking good....Jim