Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rusty 47 Ford Reserection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Apr 17, 2010.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

Trucks not mine Joe ! Just doing the chop for a local fellow for a g body parts car and some cash.... I may try and pick up the 49 Merc near digby on Sunday it's gonna be a nightmare trying to get it up on the trailer ... It's probably been sitting on the ground with no wheels since before I was born! But it should give me enough merc junk to build one. I scored some 36 stuff last month too . Gonna focus on the 36 & merc ONLY....after the 47 is on the road. Those two should keep me busy for 10 yrs at least lol!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Squablow

Squablow

I envision great things in store for that '36 and the Merc. Good saves, both of them.

3. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Ahhh ok. Cash is good. :)
    You really need to get a bigger yard. ;)
    Good luck on the Merc re-location.
    Sitting on the ground before you were born???? Hmmmm No comment. ;)

4. fitzee

fitzee

10 years!! each maybe.. why do we do this stuff to ourselves anyway.. lol.. Cause we are a sucker for junk!! lol take lots of pics of the moving of the merc..

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks eh! They both would have been gone for scrap by now if I hadnt snagged them, truck & trailer all loaded up and ready to roll....operation rescue 49 Merc" almost too rusty to bother" part 2 :p

I had a much bigger yard in Ottawa Joe....I also had alot more cars and parts laying around too..its entirely proportional more storage space = more cars :D ...although I have spent the last couple of months making behind the shop usable and filled in beside the driveway is, it was just that swampy clay...now I can park on it ! I figure I have hand shoveled on and off my truck at least 14 thousand lbs of large stone/gravel in the last month or so, hey it was free I just had to supply the time and labour...kinda sounds like a car project :p

I love junk! especially free or nearly free stuff, some how my brain easily sees what I could do with some of this junk but always forgets how much work it really is :eek: ...worst thing is I am dying to start picking at the Merc or the 36, might be the lousey short term memory or the ADD that keeps me doing it ,aint the money thats for sure lol! I will take lots of pics of the extraction , the guy who has it says he thinks it will cone out in one piece, its an old small closed junkyard and hes sold quite a few and didnt have any fall apart. gonna tie it together with some straps , got a come-along too ,4 wheels for it, hes got a tractor with a bucket as well (last week it will be there till spring)...so hopefully it wont be too bad, either way it will still be fun !:)

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm guessing there may be more Photoshop work needed in the future huh? Bring it on!:D

7. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

if it helps, you are not alone in this "condition". just hate to see anything "go to waste", except time perhaps, but it would likely get spent doing something less worth while.
    keep up the good work and try to stay focused.

8. oldman2

oldman2

Can't wait to see what you two come up with:cool::cool:....Jim

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

Sometimes that photoshop stuff makes my brain forget how much work some of this is lol!!

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Its kind of a double edged sword; lots of fun to do and sometimes even helpful in developing an idea, but not nearly as fun as building the real deal. To me thats still the best part, bloody knuckles, empty wallet and all.
    Btw, I just passed a hurdle, bought the wife a 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 so now I can take my time and look for something to build that will be rough, raunchy and a blast to drive. I'd really like to build another old Ford pickup but with a 390 or 427 and 4 speed. We'll see...:D

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

Well just stay focused on what you want! Its not the first time you have mentioned another old Ford truck on here, go for it! I will post the pics of the Merc rescue from the weekend up tomorrow night.

12. Hey Steve if you ever come across an extra Merc grill surround in your salvage projects keep me in mind.

I can't wait to see more progress on the '47.

13. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

I've seen your work Eli. Looking forward to this one too.

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

Well heres the salvage operation :eek: I brought some ford truck wheels with me, this thing has been sitting on its axles for a long time!! I found what was left of the front license plate under the bumper...1960 ! This thing was off the road 5 years before I was born ! He lifted up the back end after I used a half dozen ratchet straps to tie it together, of coarse the frame at the very back broke and both mint tail light lens got smashed by the bucket :mad:...the last foot or less of the frame was soft, the rest of it was actually quite solid, between the 2 cars I might actually be able to salvage one frame, but I will have to have a good look before I could commit to that. The front end was stuck in a full lock right turn,no steering wheel and the rear wheel bearings are seized solid, by the time we got it dragged to the front of the yard the steering was loose enough to get the wheels straight...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these next few pics to turn it around took ablmost an hour, in the wet clay & muck

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. koolkemp

koolkemp

I dont know if its photobucket or the HAMB but its seems to lock up after adding a couple of pics??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Home safe and sound at last I can continue my yard beautification project :p With parts from this I should be able to do something with the 51, all I know for sure is I will use the backwindow/roof and 49 dash for sure. this thing is worse than it looks...(if that is possible!) I probably could have pulled the drivers front door right off, it was overhanging the b pillar by about 6"...if its too rusty for me then you pretty much know its done, but lots of goodies to add to the Merc collection. It was missing one of the stainless dividers for the rear window if anyone has a lead on one I would be forever gratefull! They will become a coupe, thats about all I know right now...Rikster did a beautiful rendering of a chopped 3 window Merc a few years back that I really love :rolleyes:...

16. Squablow

Squablow

Perfect candidate for a 3W build since the roof and doors would have to be reworked anyway.

I've heard you can cut down a windshield center divider to make a new rear window jail bar, might want to check that out if you can't find one. Good save!

17. Hope this isn't the intro to the "rusty merc resurection", because I'm still waiting to see the chubby one in paint.

The new gal is chubby too, but FOCUS man!

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh man, I'm looking forward to Photoshopping this project! How about making a Ranchero style truck out of it? Never seen one of them! (Oh crap, I'm gonna go searching the 'net for Photoshop material now! lol)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  19. farmer12

farmer12

Great Merc rescue!

20. I noticed a bunch of other tin in the back ground. Did you see any mopar stuff?

21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

glad to see your next project is starting with a more solid car?:rolleyes:

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

Ya I am gonna check through some misc stainless I got kicking around too

Dont ever stop saying that to me ,I need all the help I can get :p

Dont forget a sedan delivery, heavy chop slanted B pillar big long skirts....you know what I mean :D feel free to throw anything at me ,ya never know! Once the 47 is on the road I am gonna work back and forth on the Merc and the 36 ,I got a lotta work I can do thats mostly just lots of labour...I wont get burnt out ,have a bit of variety.

It was kinda fun nice 2 hr country drive ,even bought a snow blower on the way back ,thank god cause I just cant do that shit anymore!

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

I took some pics last year but I dont remember what all there was how old ?

LMFAO I think you might win funniest reply of the year :p good thing I didnt have a mouth full of pepsi!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the 51 Monarch still there at the yard

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

Heres the other car when the roof got flattened ..as if my cars arent shitty enough to start with I gotta give myself more work!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is fresh out of the woods where it too sat with no wheels! But only for about 20 yrs :cool:

25. Thoes are great shots. Just got a new/old snowblower too. Let's see some pics even if it's in front of the chubby one to make it HAMB legal.

Get the roof off the other 51 and fix yours. Oops did I just say that? I meant get back to work on Miss Rusty.

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

These pics are just to show what my focus is on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outstanding focus!

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

I am just about finished the top chop on the 41 Chev truck cab so I will be back at it real soon!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I've spent the best part of the last month on and off wading my way though this thread, like so many others got sucked in by the 4 door beater, only to skip 90 pages to find out it was a coupe and think what the heck?!! so I've read the lot, wow!
    This is a real credit to you! the only problem now is that I'll have to wait for the posts and be a little patient! I've subscribed, and wait in anticipation for the next installments!

Cheers

Glenn