Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rusty 47 Ford Reserection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Apr 17, 2010.

1. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

great job on your car , working the springs did make it sit nicely , man those are some pretty grizzly looking grill bars ,

2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Looks great at the new ride height Steve and the garage is HUGE now!
    What a difference!!!
    Must be great to have all that room and full insulation to help keep your projects warm.
    I'm blocked in solid with stuff I can't really remove and my bags of insulation are all piled up unopened in the corner.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

What a mess I'm in...hahaha I'm totally jealous!!!! :D

3. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Finally got through this whole thing.
    Not many people will realize how much work you've got into it,
    but that means you did a good job!

It's funny cause we went through almost the exact opposite plan of attack
    in our builds.

I read that you went through a 35 lb roll of wire,
    but it looks like you ground off about 28 lbs!
    How do you get away with it at your house - neighbors and family?

Also saw that you scraped up a similar future project.
    Sometimes I think I'm crazy for starting/continuing these rusty projects.
    The crazy thing is planning to do another one!
    Glad I'm not alone!

I actually like that stink-bug high stance with the chop!
    Maybe bag it?
    TP

4. Captivating to say the least. I've been guilty of giving the homely homeless a home too. Looking forward to more.

Doug.

5. Looking great KoolKemp! Thanks for the updates too....it's like an addiction waiting for the next "hit". :)

6. smooth50

smooth50
    from MASS

Lookin great! Wish you would get that crusty old grille off there though! Keep on it and thanks for the updates!

7. Rikster

Rikster

Glad your back working on the 47... always looking forward to see new updates on this one.

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks Rik, getting it lowered a bit really gave me an idea what its gonna look like...maybe you could photoshop the 42 grille ,skirts and paint on for more motivation :D Thanks for your pm re: the Old Dodge, I traded the car for the 51 Chevy, and passed the info on to the new owner but havent heard anything back from him yet.

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Good for the 51 to have a home.
    I was half expecting some other project to start. ;)

I'm not keen on ground scrapers but ya, drop her some more.
    Looking good though!

What's that white stuff on the ground? You guys had bit of winter, didn't you?
    It never lasted 1/2 day here.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

It wont be too low ...I wanna drive it and not worry ...I also want it to look late 40's early 50's (yes Rikster I know I will have to do something about the too "new" dashboard eventually!) Prolly just 2" blocks and call it done. we got over a foot of the white shit last wed...it will all be gone by this wed with the temps we are getting !

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Looks great at the new ride height Steve and the garage is HUGE now!
    What a difference!!!
    Must be great to have all that room and full insulation to help keep your projects warm.
    I'm blocked in solid with stuff I can't really remove and my bags of insulation are all piled up unopened in the corner.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

What a mess I'm in...hahaha I'm totally jealous!!!! :D

I cant believe how nice it is to have a cleaner shop...still having a hard time finding stuff that I found new places to actually put it away! I will trade you the clean shop for a duece 5 window lol ;)

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->great job on your car , working the springs did make it sit nicely , man those are some pretty grizzly looking grill bars ,

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Lookin great! Wish you would get that crusty old grille off there though! Keep on it and thanks for the updates!
    "Impatient Prick"

Ok ok I will make the grille the next area to focus on haha...it does look pretty shitty though eh!

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Captivating to say the least. I've been guilty of giving the homely homeless a home too. Looking forward to more.

Doug.

Add rusty to that description too Doug and it fits me to a T !!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

<!-- / sig -->
    <!-- / message -->

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks Zibo ! Your 40 has been a great inspiration in this project...the onlly real regret I have on this one is not keeping the orig chassis, it started out as a yr round beater and was never intended to get to this level :rolleyes: if I had know I would find a coupe roof...oh well I am not undoing it now !
    My neighbors are far enough away that they dont hear much and the wife usually only complains if the music in the shop is too loud. I do most of the heavy grinding &welding stuff during the winter months so the shop doors are all closed up which helps alot.
    When its done I am gonna tell the oldtimers I cut up a mint Monarch coupe lol, but you are right about people not realizing the work thats involved! I got 2 similar projects that I am collecting parts for ....a 36 3 window ( from a tudor shell) and a 49-51 Merc. I was actually studying the pics of the frame for the 40 taht you built..I cant find an orig around here so I will take a shot at making my own..do you have diagrams of the 35-40 chassis you used as a guide? The Merc will prolly come first I now have 2 really rough 4 doors,49&51 this should give me enough metal to build a coupe out of, Rikster did some designs of a 3 window Merc for a Hamber in the UK a few yrs back that really caught my interest, I may try something like that .
    I really have no choice but to build with rusty junk I cant afford anything nice!! And the old stuff is pretty pricey and not too common around here...besides I have grown to really enjoy the challenge of making something from junk nobody else wanted, even for parts !

11. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Mr and Missus Koolkemp are always willing to offer a home to the "Homely homeless".

They've put Fitzee and I up for the night after the Atlantic Nationals two years in a row now.
    Thats definately lookin' after the homely homeless! :D

BTW....I'm the homeless one...so you can guess what that makes fitzee! ;) LoL

12. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Looks like things are moving along. Really cool.

13. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

hahaha. Mean, but a good line!

Yes, Mr and Mrs Koolkemp have welcomed and fed a few weary travelers from Sou'West NS too.
    Good folks.

BTW, they had a killer Halloween display.
    Did you post any pics, Steve?
    I think I have some on my camera somewhere.

14. I am continually amazed at the job you have done! My first post on this one, but have been subscribed and following the thread for a long time. I am a fan of the '42 grill and look forward to see how you use it. Keep up the great work.

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks ! I thought myself and Banditomerc were the only 2 people with a love of the 42 grille lol! I dont have the surround for it just the center and 2 ends so most of it will have to be custom...gotta get the rotten orig one out of there so I can start playing with it ! Suggestions are always welcome too!

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Lemme guess, the loud music your wife complains about is either ACDC or Lawrence Welk, right? :D

17. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I can not belive the work you have done! You are my hero!!

18. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

You know KK I actually got a little tired from looking at your pictures.
    I could relive the hammering and welding and smoke and grinding in each step!
    There was a 50 merc at a local auto swap last year,
    a really nice blast/primed body with basically a rough frame.
    We've got a 90 lincoln TC that I'm driving into the ground (5.0/aod),
    and it would be so bitchin having a merc that could drive like a couch.
    I've seen a thread on here of a guy that did it,
    and there's some changes that could make it much easier.
    I think you will love having a performance custom.

The frame plans were on the WESTCOTT (fiberglass repops) website,

http://www.wescottsauto.com/Tech/FrameDiagram1935-40.pdf

however I've got a stock 40
    and that helped out to know which measurements were important,
    and also how far I needed to Z the front and rear end.

Anyway,
    not too babble too much,
    but it is way more rewarding bringing back the dead!

Talk at ya later!
    TP

19. 416Ford

416Ford

You know what this car really needs is a 41 clip. :) I have my glass fenders off of my car that I know you could work with better then I could and I bet I have most of the remaining parts also. Nothing is perfect but it all better then that grill you have in there now.

20. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Steve get it to lay on the rockers will ya!!!!

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Wow. I'd look at a few of your posts on this thread, but hadn't really been following. Subscribed! You must buy welding wire by the case! I thought my '36 body was bad, but man, what you started with makes it look almost good!

Brian

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lol not til I win the lottery!!

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

I figure its about 70 Lbs of wire or so by now...and I aint done yet ! Haha worst thing is I have a shitty 36 tudor body shell that I am crazy enough to think I can build a 3 window tail dragger out of in a couple of years :rolleyes:

24. Quest

Quest

Hey I just found your thread about the 47 resurection, never seen it before, so I scolled through all the photos. And I gotta say, wow what a cool project, I loved seeing this go through all the changes from the day you started on the original sedan, very inspiring. It sure is coming together nicely and I can't wait to see more!

25. banditomerc

banditomerc

Hey steve,looks great! The grille from the '42 is a bit narrow if not using the stock surround,IMO.Check out the pics of my build,in regards to the grille area for ideas.I widened my grille by adding parts of a xtra grille.

26. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Looking good....

27. StLouisSled

StLouisSled

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks everyone ! I remember how you did yours Dave but it took me 2 yrs to find one 42 grille...prolly not gonna find another anytime soon ! I do have the 42 center bar and am gonna try and mock it up with that ...maybe I can con Rikster, OahuEli or James D into some photoshop help when I get it mocked up...

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

I did look around here for a 41 front end....might as well be looking for a needle in a haystack ! I love the 41 front clip and would put it on in a hearbeat if I could find one around here :(

30. 416Ford

416Ford

You find someone heading through here and I will set you up at a really good deal.