Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zeke Fishburn, Oct 7, 2009.

1. I've done a preliminary search and have not found what I'm after so here goes.

I have a 56 Chevy 210 with rust in various areas, rear wheel arches, in front of rear tires, trunk floor and a few others.

Some penetrate the sheet metal while others do not.

What can I put on the the rust to at least slow down the oxidation until I have the funds to fix it properly?

I've know of POR-15 but wanted to hear what my options are from the collective.

Thanks,
    Zeke

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. Special Ed

Special Ed

As you are no doubt aware, rust doesn't sleep. Very, very difficult to slow it down, too. Zinc phosphate MIGHT help...Other than that, it is metal panel replacement.

3. Kinghat

Kinghat

i always use a rust converter like RustMort by SEM. It turns a purplish black. good stuff.

4. redsteely

redsteely
    from Phoenix az

POR-15 is a rust encapsulator. The best way to use it is to remove the rust first and prep the metal just like if you were going to paint. The bad thing about this product and what you are going to use it for is that its very tough stuff its hard to remove, clogs up almost any grinding or sanding tools and even sandblasting has a hard time removing this stuff. If it were me i would spot blast bad areas and spray on some epoxy sealer or DP, this stuff is great at sealing an stands up to weather.