Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rust free

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crackernutz, Feb 25, 2009.

1. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

He's just letting you know there is no extra charge. :D

Still, it does have very minor rust...

3. henry29

henry29

Looks pretty good to me.

[​IMG]

4. dla4567

dla4567
    from callery pa

those pictures are 2 years old, maybe he cut all the rust out by now?

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

maybe not rust free, but pretty close. I see a couple holes in the lower body.

6. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

hmm could be

7. RichG

RichG

Well, he did say "99% rust free". I'm not going to do the math, but it looks like a pretty good car for $1800...just my opinion...

8. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

That's alot better than some vehicles I drove 1-2 hours to check out after being told they were rust free or had very little rust. On top of the quarters being shot the holes in the floor were so big I could Fred Flinstone some of the cars home. Guess some people never look underneath their cars.

9. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

wow that sucks. did you choke out the owners for lying to you?:eek:

10. RichG

RichG

Dude, if I did that to every b.s.'er I've dealt with, I'd be bigger than Dahlmer, Bundy, Ramirez, and Ridgeway combined!!:rolleyes:

11. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

No. I never get too excited going to look at a vehicle. Everybody has their own meaning to what is "rust free" or "needs a little tlc".
    I'd rather lose a few hours of my time looking at the vehicle in person than to buy it just by looking at pictures online. Shipping can be real expensive for a pile of junk.

12. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

guess i've been lucky

13. phukinartie

phukinartie

Did you see the size of those rat turds on the hood support ...MMMM rat turds

14. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Try driving 1300 miles to buy a rust free desert truck and finding shit like that.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  15. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thats really a pretty nice car with tons of potential,,,wish i could start with something that clean,,,only a few rust through areas i can see,,,,and the exhaust ports look great,,,usually those things are the first things to rot

16. TurboHaddix

TurboHaddix

If that was in Ohio or anywhere near it I would buy it.

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Seller meant to say "FREE RUST" with car.

18. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Doesn't look so bad to me. I could see that selling for that price.

19. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

The thing is when you pick it up its gonna look a lot worse that it does in the picture. but being from michigan it looks really solid compared to what we have here. I have been realy wanting to get me an old caddy.

20. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

defenetly not rust free but not a bad car to start with. ive had worse. that car has been on ebay for a while. it started out at something like 3500.00 the first time it was on.

21. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

99% rust free...

5000 lb car = 50 lbs of rust :eek:

22. TurboHaddix

TurboHaddix

So does that mean the car only weighs 4950 now? Sweet, free weight reduction!

23. You're getting about $3000 worth of car for $1800, based on the research I did when we had one to sell. That was based on cars that had sold or what unsold cars got bid to. I suspect that having the motor out and so on is the biggest thing hurting this one, you can't just go pick it up on one truck without spending a bunch of time piecing it back together for the trip.

Just try finding those rear bumper tips that are straight and not rotted out, that alone is damned near impossible and worth most of the price of the car.

24. nick_s

nick_s
    from Ohio

all you TX and western guys are friggin spoiled. I'd love to get my hands on cars that solid. The used to be a 40 Buick Roadmaster coupe on ebay a while back, in NY, that the guy said the body was solid and nice... yet the WHOLE car was rust and pitted. Like all the paint was removed 40 years ago and it sat outside., floors were no good, trunk was okay looking.

25. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Yea everyones idea of rust free is different, you have to remember, a person in ney york and a person in AZ is going to have a different opinion of a very solid car. Jim

26. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

[​IMG]

I sold this a few years ago.. Absolutely Rust Free. All it's life in southern Arizona..

All original.

I did have the receipt for the valve job in 1962. You know the guy was pissed..

After all...
    .62 cents for Valves !! $78 labor.. $122 total including tune up and oil change..filters..gaskets and steam clean..Carb rebuild,,

uh..tire rotation..brake check..trans flush..

Loved that Cad..owned it 10 years, Bought it for my Dad..but Alzheimers got him. He did drive it a few times, I drove him around..he said he felt like Al Capone in that car..with his own driver.
    Love ya Dad..miss you every day.

Wanted to keep it forever..but Kids eat money..

..no contest..kids win.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  27. Man, if you can't handle some surface rust you're in the wrong hobby. I've been over that Roadmaster myself - two small holes in the front floor, good frame, good trunk, a little rust through over the rear wheels, but the rest was fine. Nothing that a bead blasting, some sanding, and some high-build primer wouldn't cure. Even where it had some filler in it the stuff peeled off to show solid steel. I looked at a '40 Super coupe a few months later that had been redone and looked great except for all the window screen patterns showing through the paint in the rockers, quarters, under the trunk lid, who knows how much of that car was carved out of filler - I'll take pitted solid steel over that any day.

They only made 3600 or so of those Roadmasters, can't be but that one up here.

28. lowridercaddy

lowridercaddy

what im still wondering what is being implied with the word "egay"