Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Rust free - What a bunch of Malarkey. The Hudson goes under the knife.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudsoncustom, Aug 19, 2008.

1. So way back when, when I first bought the Hudson, the crook who sold it to me swore up and down it was rust free.
    I knew it wasn't, but I really had no idea just how NOT rust free it was.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to work on the driver's side quarter panel. It was in a wreck at some point in its past life, and was filled with lead. The further I got into the car, the worse it got.

I melted 15 pounds(!) of lead out of the drivers door and the left rear quarter panel. I found a 3 inch long, 1 inch tall hole in the drivers door, so I decided to cut the area out and re-skin that section.

[​IMG]

While doing so, I started chipping away at the bondo in the rocker panel. This is what I found:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I figured making new rocker panels was the best bet. Well, that's easier said than done when you have no real sheet metal fabrication tools. I bought some 20 gauge sheet metal, and cut it to size. Took it to a friends work to put a bend in it, and began working a curve into the panel. Most of the shaping was done with a rubber mallet and a piece of angle iron.

[​IMG]

I fabbed up a new rear edge and front edge from some scrap I had laying around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also fabbed up a new door bottom so when everything is all said and done, the door will fit flush with the rocker.

[​IMG]

Now, I just need to finish welding it all in, grind the welds, and lay the bondo.
    THEN, when that's all finished, I get to do it all over again on the other side.

fun.

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang yo! you gotta lot of sheetmetal realestate going on!! nice job!!! makes me want to go work on my Olds!

3. The work is looking really good. I can tell you already have some major hours invested ! Take it slow, and move from area to a different area when grinding down the welds. The grinding procedure can cause heat that can warp the metal after you spent such care in welding it up. Use a quick cutting grinding wheel to do the first grinding weld cut.

I got it figured out. The seller did not say rust free. What he actually was saying was - The rust is free. You get the rust at no additional charge.

4. Rooster

Rooster

Looks like you've made a 'dent' in it! Bet that kept ya busy for a week! I'm well experiended at how long it takes to do that with rudimentary tools. btw 15lbs. of lead isn't rust, and sayin rust free doesn't mean never was. Keep up the good work,,,

5. sure. i understand that. lead isn't rust. but the rust in the rockers is rust...holes so big i can put my hand through?

6. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

In IL, the fact there was still enough original metal left to suround your hand, it would be almost rust free. Esspecially with a Hudson. Usually, around here rust free means there are no floorboards left and you can still determine what the original form of the rockers and lower quarters were.

Looks like your doing a nice repair. Good Job. Gene

7. Keith, hey nice work man ! When you get done want to try your hand at floors in my 49 Coupe !

8. Ramblur

Ramblur

STOP IT! your scaring me. I don't EVEN want to see whats under the paint
    on my 49. On the plus side your making progress and thats always good.
    I was reading a post on the Hudson forum that said they packed the rocker/
    frame cavities with a rubberized steel wool to keep the noise down.What do
    you think that steel wool did when the rubber dried up and cracked. Aaargh.

9. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

You must have skipped class that day.

Rust Free means buy the car and get the rust FREE!!

Shawn

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. They packed the frame cavities on thiscar with plastic trash bags. nice. I cut those out last year when I did the whole frame swap.

I put in another 4 hours on the car today, got the panel finish welded, and the welds ground. Pulled a few dents. I just have to pull the door off so I can finish the front corner of the fender/rocker transition, and the front corner of the door edge, then it's time for filler.

11. autobilly

autobilly

yep!

12. autobilly

autobilly

He's given you the opertunity to get your hands on your ride.
    Yep! Extensive job, but think of the satisfaction when your done.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  13. Rooster

Rooster

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT'S what I told myself when I bought this house! Four years later I'm gettin to where I might get to work on my cars again this winter...

14. I don't need the opportunity. I've already chopped the car, installed a custom dash, re-worked the front and rear wheel openings, performed a chassis swap, made a custom grille surround, nosed and decked the car...etc.

this shit is remedial.

15. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I also bought one of those elusive "rust free" cars.
    Then I spent more than a year out of the total build time replacing the swiss cheese rockers, tailpan, floors, lower corners, firewall, trunk, etc, etc. - In reality, there was very little of the car that was not rust, but I still have the clipping of the classified ad I bought it from that says "very little rust" ha, ha - oh well - it tought me how to weld.
    Gluttons for punishment.

16. Malarkey? Ha ha. You didn't buy your Hudson from Rooster did you? Anyway, Looks good, you're a machine, I wish I had your ambition.

17. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I've got a rust-free '57 Chrysler - gotta be the only one left!!

At least I haven't found any yet. ;)

Good work on that rocker! Odd bodystyles can be a pain to deal with in regards to parts and sheetmetal. You're a beast! Looks great.

18. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

he ment, "the rust is free"
    sorry,

looking good!

19. btbsandman

btbsandman

Damn good work....
    Wished my skills were that good.

20. yep. malarkey. i hope i spelled it right. perhaps i should have substituted "hog wash" instead. ha ha.

I'll try and get some photos of the work I did yesterday up...

21. autobilly

autobilly

Just tryin' ta be possative for ya man. You have obviously really "done her over".

22. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lived in Texas and cars were clean, but even they had light rust, or rust where water sits. Although the brakelines and undersides were nice........sandblasted every day you drive. The windshields had sand specs. Made working on OHIO cars feel like torture, and I vowed never to own a salt rusty P.O.S again.

23. johnrockin

johnrockin
    BANNED
    from midwest

shit, thats nothin compaired to what we got here......

24. I'm no stranger to rust....I live in Michigan for 10 years and know full well what kind of shit you guys deal with.

Anyhow. This car was supposed to be rust free. It wasn't. That's OK, cause it will be when I'm done with it.

We're getting there.

25. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Otherwise, a great [lace to learn how to MIG and TIG...............? Might be the best thing you have done.