Register now to get rid of these ads!

Running a Flattie and Torque Tube at Bonnie?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MBL, Nov 5, 2007.

1. MBL

MBL

Howdy all. Tim here. Just thinkin bout another build. Who all is running a flathead, ford 3-speed tranny, torque tube, and banjo at Bonneville? does anyone on the HAMB? Got pics of your setup? What safety stuff do you have? What speed have you run? Any info would be great!
    Thanks
    Tim
    MBL

2. MBL

MBL

Wow!? No takers? Surprised. There has got to be some HAMBers running their traditional rods on the salt. Hmm
    Tim
    MBL

3. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Just think about it for a moment: What drive line do you think all those pioneer rodders were running back in the '40s & '50s and at speeds in the 200 range? The only safety concession was probably safety hubs which are still available at Speedway.

quote=MBL;2339509]Howdy all. Tim here. Just thinkin bout another build. Who all is running a flathead, ford 3-speed tranny, torque tube, and banjo at Bonneville? does anyone on the HAMB? Got pics of your setup? What safety stuff do you have? What speed have you run? Any info would be great!
    Thanks
    Tim
    MBL[/quote]

4. MBL

MBL

Yeah...I know that must have been crazy back in the 40's and 50's...but I'm wondering really who still does it that way. Will they let you run with 40 ford brakes and a torque tube? Does anyone know if the torque tube needs a cage around it? Or would the tube itself be enough? How about a roll cage? do you need to have one?
    Tim
    MBL

5. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I'm not sure whos' running that particular setup now but the best thing is to go on SCTA website and order a rule book, there is a few pieces to read about some slower classes that will help you set the car up to where they will let you run.

6. nexxussian

nexxussian

MBL, just out of curiosity (if it's not a secret) what are you planning on running? Or how fast are you trying to go (other than 'faster miles an hour')?

7. MBL

MBL

Well I have a 50 Ford flattie and a banjo rear, 1937 Lincoln tranny...model A frame...and I am going to pick up a Model A coupe body. The rear end has 3:55s or so in it...I plan on using a 40 ford or so front end with the spring in front like my 26 T roadster.

I figure that if I can get some tall tires, I can get the thing going pretty fast...well maybe over 100mph. If I only have to make a few saftey changes, Like putting in a bolt-in roll cage, and some wheel keepers, I think it would be worth it to build it so it can run at bonnie...then if we ever get up the nerve to bring it over there, we can go for it.

I know that 100mph really isn't very fast but in a car like I want to build..I think it will be fast enough. :)
    Tim
    MBL

8. nexxussian

nexxussian

Dunno, if I were doing that, I would probably end up making the car with a roll cage / pseudo space frame (after boxing the rails). But that's me.

9. Ole don

Ole don

You sound as if you have not been to se the salt races in person. Before starting your build, I would highly recomend you go see for yourself, and buy a rule book. The book is available online if you need it sooner. Most of your questions will be answered in a walk through the pit area. You will find the people helpfull answering your questions. For a banjo rear, the best of both worlds is the modern ends welded on the old housing.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The early Ford rear end is fine. I have a V8 quickchange in my car. Some are still running A quick changes in thev 200+ range. Brakes and torque tube are fine. If you want to run at an SCTA/BNI meet (Speedweek) you are going to have to step up to a Funny car type of roll cage as I understand the '08 rules. Fire suit, fire bottles, Hans device. Speed rated tires. The whole deal. If your thinking USFRA 130 club forget all that and just show up. Seat belt and helmut.

11. MBL

MBL

I have not been to bonnie but plan on going this coming year. I don't think we will get to 130 mph.
    Tim
    MBL

12. MBL

MBL

I looked at the stuff for the USFRA 130 Club, and this seems to be the ticket for what I want to do. The only real issue would be the tires. But in the interest of safety I completely understand this. Perhaps I can find some tall thin radials to put on the car just for the purpose of running.

Anybody have pics of the cars they ran for the USFRA?
    Tim
    MBL

13. 8flat

8flat

With a natural-aspirated flathead, you're probably correct. But it would sure be fun trying! Making any kind of run at Bonneville with a traditional hotrod would be a great experience....period.

14. MBL

MBL

After some looking and info from the HAMB I see that there are some Dunlop tires that could be usefull...also Coker seems to have some speed rated bias plys. Anyone have experience with these Cokers?
    Tim
    MBL

15. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

16. You should look at the tires and wheels as a total $ package. It may be cheaper to get new wheels to go with your H or V rated tires. They do check these for the 130 club! Coker has some rated tires from Excelsor? but the get up to $300 each. Most of Coker's other tires are T or S rated and not useable. Look at your local discount tire store or some of the ads out of the car mags or the dreaded E-gay! You can get some 15 or 16 inch very low profile rated tires. The car will look like do-do, but as your going down the salt who cares. Remember you want the skinny!

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The cars I see running at the 130 club seem to be street rods, driven to the track. Don't know what they require for tires, but I have not seen anything special. Guys run rent-a-cars.