Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rpu project undergoing some changes.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

My rpu project was built around a 394 Olds engine that I have been dragging around for over 30 years. I had it rebuilt about 9 years ago but the guy did a bad machine job on it and I simply am fed up with that motor. So, I sold it all off, the tripower intake, the Bendtsens transmission adapter, the cam, the finned aluminum valve covers.......all of it. That way there was no turning back.

So, I have decided to make a smart decision, and I ordered a brand new crate 350 Chevy motor from Jegs. While I was waiting for it to come I temporarily installed the 355 Chevy motor from my altered project to see how it would fit. The motor room was built around the Olds, so the little Chevy fit right in with room to spare.
    [​IMG]

The crate motor showed up in two days, and I am not going to touch anything inside it at all. I want this thing to be totally dependable, so I am not even going to open it up to put a hotter cam in it.

[​IMG]

I scored a set of original Vette valve covers on Ebay, and my two Sons bought me an Edelbrock 3 carb intake for my Birthday last week. Of course I had to plop those parts on to see how they look...............I like it ! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know sbc are done to death, but I have other projects I need to get cracking on (I just bought a second 46 Ford for parts for mine, and want to get going on that project asap) This crate motor will speed the process up tremendously, and I can get parts for it at any parts store. Sometimes you have to use your head instead of your heart. :)

Don

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Smart move--you are on the right track- a dependable ride

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Don, hate to see the Olds go but that is how it is at times. However, the sbc will look right at home in there and should be a good runner for you.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. I totally get it,engine problems have stalled many projects,nothing wrong with a small block chevy. HRP

olcurmdgeon and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Sometimes a crate motor just makes sense. At least you dressed it up a little and didn't just slap it in there as is.

6. studebaker46

studebaker46

don how are you going to plumb your pcv tom

1956 F100 likes this.
  7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

a 283/327 would also fit that space ;)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

No one loves a vintage motor more than I do There is a 348 W motor in the T and a 331 hemi in the garage. Now I have a 401 to play with in the '60 Buick, but the last 350 crate motor we bought for the shop was $1500 out the door with free shipping.
    You can spend way more than that just on machine work on an old engine, so I totally get it.

3wLarry likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

So would a 427.
    DSCN1616.JPG

10. Contemporary is what I call that. Current issue long block, current issue intake, current issue ignition and I expect an alternator as well. No shame in that game brother, as I age I find myself edging more towards that end of the swamp also. As long as you stay out of the EFI pit.

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

good for ewe

12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

You have gone with an "Australian Ford".:rolleyes:
    AustralianFord1.jpg
    AustralianFord2.jpg
    Just sayin'
    Al

13. Man -and you were so in love with that olds engine too.

14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It can be difficult to think with your head over your heart when building a hot rod, but sometimes it just makes sense to do it. .

15. The Time, Money, Frustration...... Gonna be plenty of miles,plenty of smiles...... Nothing wrong with what your doing. And dressed also! Gonna be zero worries,and lots-O fun.

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, just like my ex wife. I loved her at one time too ! :eek::D Let's just say I divorced myself from the expense of building that Olds and married one that will be a lot cheaper to live with. :D I just turned 70 and have more projects than years left, that is why I am hustling to get these done.

Studebaker46, I am not going to run a pcv. The intake has an oil fill tube and I am going to put a vented cap on top of it and let it breathe through there. None of our other engines have pcv's, we just run Moon breathers on the valve covers.

Don

17. Nice Don. It's good to see you putting the frustration of the Olds behind you. Sometimes you just have to move forward to get a project done. I think I had the same conversation with Dan when he was doing his :D.

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

19. Koz

Koz

I've done the same thing. I have an Olds here that I have a small fortune in and I just gave up and put together a 355 instead. I just don't have the time to deal with it. The Olds is way cooler but I'd really like to have something I can actually drive.

20. rockfish

rockfish

Smart move Don. Can't beat the SBC factory crate motors for value. I have one in my Studebaker and all it does is run perfectly. The older and busier I get the more I appreciate getting the project on the road and using it. Like you said, the crate motor gets you that much closer to being on the road.
    I ran a nailhead in a past project and it looked great but cost a small fortune in the end. In the real world $$ is a factor, especially if I want to have more than one hobby car.

AHotRod likes this.
  21. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

Glad to see you keeping the RPU on the road. Folks may not agree ith the SBC swap but if getting the Olds going will keep you off the road and this swap will get you cruising again, then more power to you. You still have the 394 around if time/money come your way.

Only input I have is to run a mechanical water pump. Not from a HAMB point of view but reliability. If it quits on the road, good luck at a the nearby parts store. Anything else SBC can be had easy. Good luck and post often.

Mike