Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects RPU build (I Hope!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Delux, Jan 1, 2011.

1. 50Delux

50Delux
    from Michigan

I've only repaired panels and done typical body work, I have never atempted to build a car, so here goes nothing. After all its just steel. My father in law works at a scrap yard and since the price of scrap is up people are getting rid of some good stuff they think is junk. So on christmas eve he came over and surprised me with this cowl and a frame. I started working on it that night I was so geeked!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 50Delux

50Delux
    from Michigan

I like the look of an rpu and Im 6'7" so this way I should be able to build something comfortabe to drive. First I made a table and removed the doors,then put the cowl on the table so I dont have to sit on the floor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I figured with a body so short who needs doors. So I started measuring and cutting.
    [​IMG]

3. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I always thought it was funny how people bring stuff in to scrap and recycling centers either to get some quick cash or just to do their part at recycling and the guys that work there can just take want home. Anyway... Looks like the start of something there. Good luck with it!

4. oj

oj

Fantastick! Bring that thing back to life, thats a good looking chassis and cab you'll have a ball building it.

5. hotrodwelder

hotrodwelder

Keep us updated with the build! Good dad in law!

6. 50Delux

50Delux
    from Michigan

I decided to take a breather this afternoon. I will go back out in the garage this evening. This is its current state.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 50Delux

50Delux
    from Michigan

Well I got the body sitting on the frame. Now the fun begins, time to do something with the frame. Looks like i need to do some researching to figure the front end
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 50Delux

50Delux
    from Michigan

After looking at the body I think the top rail needs to come down to the body line on the cowl. Maybe put a new 1x2" right under the one thats in there then cut out the orignal one. What do you think,I need feedback!

9. 50Delux

50Delux
    from Michigan

anybody have any input for me?:confused:

10. Hack Attack

Hack Attack

I think I'd lower the top rail just a touch......and bow it out so it doesnt look so squared off. Those parts look like a good save and you sure don't waste any time. Good luck, keep us updated.

11. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Yup, looks too boxy... Cool project, I like it!

12. oj

oj

I'd use that box tubing as a structure to form/hang your finished body panels from. I bet you can use it as-is but more as a work fixture.
    There is one thing about making the body - nothing is square, true or flat - that'd be too easy. Keep going, you're doing fine. The typical way is to go from one mistake to another, no big deal. It is a learning process. Later, oj

13. it actually looks to narrow in the rear. it could be the picture angle. i've done this before to help a buddy build a rpu, came out great.

14. This will be interessting !
    Why not use whats left of the doors and then go on from there !?

Keep up the pace !
    / primerkid

15. 50Delux

50Delux
    from Michigan

Thanks for the input guys.Keep them coming. The back is 4" wider than the front. Ive thought about using the door,I guess I just hate cutting up those doors because I know I will never use them. But the thought is in my mind.

16. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

That's exactly what I was thinking when I was looking at the pics. Also, my personal opinion, you need to do something with the closed car windshield frame when you make an open car. At least lay it back a little but even better, get rid of it and put a roadster windshield or a Duvall style.

17. Troyz

Troyz

You can do it! i'd suggest you look around for some doors & rear 1/4 panels. I'm building a modified out of swap meet bits. 31 slant window cowl & tank, sedan doors, sedan 1/4's and i made the rear panel out of sheet metal. i only have $1200.00 in the whole project with wheels/ tires and the motor & trans mounted. I'm sure some guys on here have some rusty old bits that you could fix up a little. Good luck!

[​IMG]

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Troy is right, you can't go wrong with quarters, or "shapes"...BUT! If you are 6'7", I'd seriously get some length (similar to Troy's above) or your knees will be up to your chin!
    My brother (6'4") has a '29 Rdstr P/U we built in my shop some years back. He doesn't listen, so he ended up with a standard '29 Roadster pickup cab with a slightly recessed firewall (BBChevy & muncie 4 spd) and a lowered seat: windshield chopped 4-1/2", he can drive the car for 5 miles or so, it is hellishly cramped.
    The way your rear cross brace is positioned tells me you need 8"+ to the rear.
    Don't forget the thickness of seat upholstery when you sit in there...and be careful with steering angle/mast length!
    Nice clean work so far, tell your Dad-in-law you love him.

19. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I did something similar. I used a 29 4 door cowl and a 26-27 T touring backhalf. That was after mocking up a stock 29 rpu body and seeing how cramped they really are. Now I have plenty of legroom and some space behind the seats.

20. 50Delux

50Delux
    from Michigan

Well Ive taken everyones suggestions and took the whole week and looked at it every day for the past week. I decided to use the doors I have. Remove the wood and doctor them up. Ive been trying to figure out how to duplicate the body line at the top of the door. Some one suggested to me cutting a piece of exhaust tubing in half. Im still looking. Heres a few shots from today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

anything new with this build ? i like the way the body was built , it gave me some ideas