Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Route 66 trip - realistic miles per day ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buddy Palumbo, Feb 8, 2014.

1. I trailed the rout from the east coast on 40 back to where I could head north to 84 on one of my trips for the military. At the time I had other things occupying my mind and didn't really know the significance of the highway.

2. 80WTI

80WTI

Wish i was only 750 miles away. :confused::)

3. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I don't remember seeing when you plan to start your trip.

If you make it to AZ this time, there are more that a few places to stop along your way. I believe the longest stretch (150 miles) of Route 66 is from Seligman, AZ to Topock, AZ. The Sno-Cap drive in and the barber shop in Seligman would be your first stops. Along the way is an old tourist trap, the Grand Canyon Caverns plus several other small towns and stops before you get to Kingman. Driving along on Andy Devine there are old motels that are near the railroad tracks. Oh how I remember hearing the trains blow their whistles in the middle of the night when I was a kid traveling this highway from CA to IL to visit grandparents.

On the Kingman to Topock leg is one of the most interesting drives for me. Winding up the canyon on the way to Oatman is unique and I can remember oncoming semi trucks making those hairpin turns. Oatman and the wild burros that live there have become somewhat of a tourist attraction and popular place to visit. After that it's a trip through the desert back to I-40 and Exit 1. I live about 20 miles south of 40 at Exit 9. Only thing to see here is the London Bridge and a lot of cool garages.

Hope to see some photos of stuff you see along the way. It never gets boring for me.

4. pitman

pitman

Hey there son, yer door's open. Talk about memorable trips! Great stuff here Doug.
    Been thinkin' about this for some time, just got to build another rod, and get on the road. :p

5. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

kimmeh & I will cover your first breakfast/lunch/dinner (whatever it happens to be) on your way thru...may even travel a bit w/ you.

we have plenty of room if you want to make this a stopping point too.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  6. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I've only realized the importance of such things in recent years myself . Maybe facing my mortality or something ;) .

Yup - you've got a few more miles :eek: ! You've gotta really plan ahead .

I haven't really set a date to do it yet . It all really depends on when the car's roadworthy . I need to get some test/confidence miles on it before I'll even consider making the long trip . If we make it that far , we'll look ya up . It'll most likely be next year till we're on the route , unless I trip over a bag of cash before then ;) . I'll take tons of pics ... don't worry ;) .

Get building then start planning !! I wish I could go sooner .

If you guys have a warm bed for me ... I'M IN IT :D !! It's been way too long since I've seen you guys - I'll definately stop off . It'll be cool if you guys can do a ride-along , even if it's just a short jaunt .

7. greg

greg

This is awesome. I'm keeping this thread for the day I will be lucky enough to make the trip.
    Have fun!!!

8. I live one block off old 66 in Amarillo. Unfortunatly, not a whole lot to see here unless your into antique shops and the like. The historical disrrict here is reached by getting off on Georgia st and going north about a mile to 6th st. where it begins. Turn left on 6th. There is a Golden Light burger joint that opened in 1946, popular with us locals. The Cadillac ranch is about 3 mile east of amarillo on the South side of I40 about a hunded yards off the road in a field.
    I was going to mention some oklahoma places, but WilleyP covered them all. The museum in Elk City is particularly good. It's on the I40 business loop. The gas station in Shamrock Texas Willy mentioned is one of the best you'll ever see. Look for the Mcdonalds and go past it a few blocks. That street your on then, if followed about an hour will bring you to Flattop Bob's/Owens Salvage. A lot of the guys on the Hamb use him for parts.
    After you cross the Texas line into NM, the first exit has Russell's Truck Stop. A free car museum inside with some of the most awesome cars you'll see anywhere. There's usually 25 or so cars on display, and they are rotated occationally from Russell's collection of 200 or so cars. Food is pretty good there also. Good car museum in Santa Rosa also..5. admision
    If you're in Amarillo on the first Saturday of the month, there's a big cruise at Bell and Hillside starts late afternnon if I remember correctly.

9. hudson48

hudson48

I think it is open because that is where the passenger/girlfriend was sitting and they are on the way back up the road for fuel or parts!!

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

10. desotot

desotot

^^^^ six little air cleaners.

11. jerseymike

jerseymike

for as long as you've been talking about this trip i'm glad to see it's now in the planning stage! i'm sure there will be tons of pictures.

12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Yea , I can't wait to hit the highway either !

I'll have to see if I can coordinate to hit some of that stuff ...

[/QUOTE]

That's a great pic - cool old car , neat old-school rig & a highway that's not in gridlock !

Dude , you have no idea how bad I want to do this trip . It'll be the ride of a lifetime - it's getting exciting !

13. I hope you have the time of your life, on all good road trips the journey is the destination.

14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sorry I missed your post :eek: . I'm sure it'll be great hitting the road with my old man . We always have a good time together . Of course it has been a looong time since we went on a long road trip though ... ;) . We'll be fine , I'm sure .

15. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

it is shamefull that the state/counties are lax in maintaining 66 in many areas.:(

16. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

a tip for Western Arizona...on I-40 if you take exit 139 W. of Ashfork you can follow old 66 all the way thru seligman and kingman and oatman to exit 1 on I-40. the stretch between kingman and topock thru oatman was 66 until 1953. then in 53 us66 goes where I-40 is now kingman-topock. at the colorado river the white arch bridge is the old 66 bridge from the 20s thru about 1950. it carries a pipeline now. they destroyed the road deck when that was done. this arch bridge you will see in the movie 'grapes of wrath'. in fact you can recognize lots of scenery in that movie. in the movie they get off 66 in barstow and take us 466 (now labeled CA58) to bakersfield. old 466 roadway still in use at west end of techachpi to bakersfield. but it is a challange to find some of it. look for 'bena rd' at the junction of 58 and callente road (on the south side.)a very original road. almost forgot... immediately east of the I-40 needles 'bug' station is five mile road. take this old 66 road into (and thru) needles.

17. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

funny thing i should stumble across this thread right now, im from norway and right now im sitting at a hotel in haverhill just waiting to get the registration on my 50 shoebox in order and then i will go to chicago and down route 66, hope to be in las vegas to the viva las vegas show in easter. taking most the tripp with my brother. but dont need to drive back cause the car will be shipt home when viv is over

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      207.8 KB
      Views:
  18. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

enjoy the trip! be aware that winter weather may still be here and there.

19. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

Nice thread.. My club guys and I are planning this for next April..east to west, with a detour in Vegas for Viva..We planned about 2 weeks..

20. I stumbled across this thread while watching the rain flood my yard(much needed here). My computer has one of those fancy notepad deals in the corner and I highlighted every significant suggestion, ok every suggestion, talk about a long list. I am planning on making the trip very soon. I was going to go by myself but after reading this I am going to ask my parents if they want to travel along. They can't travel but a couple hundred miles a day when in a car so this would be perfect. I got to see part of Route 66 when I was on a train traveling south out of Chicago. Well I better go buy my lottery ticket cause that is the only way I could afford to make the trip all at once.

21. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

Right... I figgered at a minimum of $3500, thats with campin on the side of the road a few times
    Your in, Sac...You can roll with us

Model T1 likes this.
  22. Right on, we will have to stay in touch Poh

23. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

Will do

24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I figured I'd revive this thread , since I've been going over stuff for the trip lately . As it stands now , dad & I will hopefully make the trip in the fall of 2015 (not too far away now) , as long as there's no big issues with the ride when I start driving it this spring . As my friends know , I drive the hell out of my stuff , so I should have enough confidence miles built up by then . The car will not be in finish paint , because I need to concentrate on running/driving stuff first .
    I'm actually toying with the idea of taking the Lincoln Highway out to Chicago , then picking up 66 from there . I haven't cleared this idea with pop yet ... he may want to squash it & just want to get the Chicago via a modern interstate , then take the slow road . It's hard not to want to take the LH though , as it passes through within a half-hour of our place in Lancaster . It'll take us a while going that route - several days , I'm sure . I'll have to see what he says when I throw the idea out there . He lives in GA , so he's got to get HERE , then drive for weeks with me in an old car , so his opinion definately counts , LOL !!

Model T1 likes this.
  25. Pretty much the same time frame as the wife and I will be on our way from the west coast, our target date will be in early September, or when the old Caddy is ready to go. It comes in to the shop in January for some mechanical and a little cosmetic work.
    Hope to see you on the road .

26. There are places where the LH is actually gravel roads, so decide if you want to take ALL of the original routes or not!

27. In a Arizona on 66 when you get to mileage marker 71 turn in depending on time of day (Breakfast , lunch or dinner
    I'll buy coffee . pm me and I'll give you my phone number.

28. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That would be so cool to bump into you guys on 66 . We'll have to touch base closer to the time & see how we're both progressing .

The part of the Lincoln Highway we'd be running is all paved stuff (PA , WV , OH , IN , IL ) . Here in PA (and through OH & IN , I understand) , there's actually some interest in the LH , so I have some stuff to actually look at & visit along the route . It's a lot of stop & go traffic , so it'll eat up some of our time we could use on 66 - that's the only problem I see , over taking the superslab to Chicago .

Dad & I are both coffe nuts , so coffee any time day or evening will suit us fine . In the near future I'm going to make up a map with a rough idea of how far we'll make it each day , so I'll have an idea of if we'll make it out there this run . If we can , I'll surely look ya up - that would be nice !

29. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I have been on all of Rt 66 but not at the same time. You will enjoy yourself ,I have two suggestions, Try to make it to where you don't need fuel at Williams Az. When I was there it was .70 a gallon higher than Albeque( spelling ) . Oatman is the old 66, fun to see but take carrotts with you.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  30. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

Id love to take that trip but Id stop so many times for photograph purposes that I wouldnt get very far. The Lincoln highway runs right through Fort Wayne, IN where I am. Probly not as scenic in that regard but best wishes on your trip.