Register now to get rid of these ads!

roundy rounders pre NASCAR

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Nailhead A-V8, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

2. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

3. It's nice to let folks know that there was racing long before NASCAR got involved.:)

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  4. silverdome

silverdome

I don't even watch today's version or even the last 15 to 20 years really. They used to just let them put as much power under the hood and see if they could keep it on the track.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for safety but when you sit in a race car their is that inherent danger that you accept as you push the car to its limits and that danger is sometimes the difference between life and death. Everyone has their own threshold of fun and dangerous but you can't know them unless you try to push yourself to that edge.

As I get older I don't push myself nearly as far as I used to and it takes a lot less to give me the thrill that makes me feel alive. As long as you're having fun and not hurting anyone else I think life is good.

Speedwrench and Nailhead A-V8 like this.

5. tractorguy

tractorguy

Thank you.....thank you !! I did not know that anyone had done a book on Johnny Beauchamp, Tiny Lund and racing in Iowa in that time period. Yes.....Johnny Beauchamp did win the 1959 Daytona 500. I had the good fortune of meeting Tiny Lund's wife about 20 yrs. ago and getting an autographed copy of her cookbook when on the RAGBRAI bicycle ride across Iowa stopped in Harlan.
    I was growing up in Eastern Iowa during the time period this book covered and later owned and built dirt track cars in E. Iowa during college and other stuff.
    Thanks again......getting my copy of the book today.

catdad49 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Super cool! I will have to get a copy.

7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I always was interested in the old wooden board tracks and that style of racing.

Jimbo

8. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Here is a old wooden board track decal from the late 20's

Jimbo

Tipton Speedway.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.