Register now to get rid of these ads!

Round Up Texas MADNESS! Jeez, it was fun.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobbleed, Mar 31, 2004.

1. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

I got back Tuesday Morning from the big trip. The whole thing was FANTASTIC!! I made so many new freinds and met so many people it was a bit overwhelming......

It all started a couple of months ago when Tuck called and said "Dude we are going to the Round Up." We started making plans to build his roadster the week before the show and take it down there...... Being that we both are always in over are heads with projects we just ran out of time. There was no way to make it happen, but we were still going to go and take my roadster down.

We planned on taking Tucks mom's van because it would pull the car and we could fit a few extra people to save on gas.

IT WAS ON!..... We started making serious plans and it was pretty exciting,
    UNTIL...........
    the weekend before the show was declaired,

"Paint lots of Flames on big Trucks in Cananda week." HaHa

Tuck, being the good Canadian that he is, was forced to tape flames until his fingers bled.
    It's the Canadian spirit!

So he called last Monday when he realised there was no way for him to finish the Flame Job in time. He was woried the Canadians would be pissed, so he decided not to go to Texas.

You don't want to piss off the Canadians, so I understood.
    It really sucked though, It seemed that there was no way for the rest of us to go because Tuck was driving, and even if we could find another van it sucked that Tuck couldn't go.

My first thought was Fuck it, I'll just drive the roadster. I was ready to do it, but everyone I told thought I was crazy, being that it was cold and rainy and I have slicks and no top. Then my girlfriend Laura called her folks and they decided to let us borrow their van.

It was awsome for them to let us use the van, but the problem was there was no hitch. I called a ton of places and no one had one in stock. It was a mad rush to build the hitch get the roadster ready and do the needed maintenece to the trailer to make it road worthy. My welder broke while I was welding up the hitch and it made me wonder if it was even worth going, it seemed as though nothing was working out. I fixed the welder, got the hitch done and with a lot of help from my dad and young Jonny Cola we loaded the roadster on the trailer at midnight on Wed night.

The next morning we were ready to go. I still felt uneasy, I guess mostly due to lack of sleep, but Laura, Kate, Max Wedge and I tarped up the roadster and hit the road.

We started off fine and I was finally starting to relax and become excited again when I noticed the tarp was flying around pretty good I stupidly kept on driving it was starting to rain on and off so I figured even the loose tarp would at least keep the car dry.

I finally pulled over about 100 miles into the trip and realized the tarp had completely fucked up the car. It smashed one of the tail lights and knocked the others loose. It also ripped off my liscence plate and lamp and busted my sunken antennas, not to mention the paint was all scratched and cracked.

The whole thing was heart breaking. I allready felt like an ass towing the car in the first place, and now the car was a mess because of it. At that point it seemed like a good idea just to go home, but I ripped the rest of the tarp off and we forged on.

Then it started to rain really hard, I felt bad for the car. I guess it was good that I diddn't drive it. It rained hard for several hours. There is no way I would have made it with the slicks. There lots of other little problems with the car being on the trailer. It seemed I was stopping every 20 miles to strap something down, or pull it off the car. I was afraid there would be nothing left of it by the time we got to Texas. The whole time I was driving I kind of wanted to just turn around and go home. What was the point of wrecking the car, just to go to some stupid show?

By the time we got to St Louis we petty much had the car and trailer dialed in, but we were hours behind schedule because of all the stops and slow moving because of wind and rain. We finally made it to Tulsa around 3:30 in the morning and stopped to sleep in a hotel for a couple of hours.

By 9:00 we were back on the road. We were all starting to get sick of the van at this point and it seemed we would never get there.

We were finally making some good time, when I spotted a 32 Ford sedan body sitting on the side of the road. I couldn't believe it! When's the last time you saw a 32 Ford sitting along a major highway? We stopped to check it out and the guy had all sorts of neat stuff. He wasn't home, but I got the #.........

Several hours later we finally made it to Austin. I knew we were getting close when a stripped down T being pulled behind a pick up came driving by honking at us. We pulled off the freeway and found a spot to unload the roadster. We unstrapped it and I jumped in and fired it up. I was a little woried it might night startbecause it had been open in the rain for a couple days, but from the moment I turned the key,

EVERYTHING RULED!!

The roadster fired right off and it made everything worth it. All of the sudden it diddn't matter how tired I was or the fact that the car got a little messed up. It was warm outside and the roar of the pipes was filling downtown Austin.

We found our way down to the Continental and I couldn't believe it! It was AWSOME. The street was packed on both sides with bad as cars and bikes. We took a lap to soak it all in and turned around. Then MaD FaB Evel jumped out in front of us and gave us a big Welcome.
    We were finally there.

We found a place to park by "THEM" and were greeted by what seemed to be a mob of both familiar and new faces. It was really cool to meet everyone and I was amazed at how many people new about the roadster. This internet thing is powerful.

It was really great to see Evel and meet his wife. Throughout this Mad Fab process he has become one of my favorite people. I can't even tell you how excited I am for this Dvd to come out! Evel, you should have seen the look on my dads face when he found out he was on the cover. It is truly unbelievable........... That's a different story though.....

We were just standing by the roadster talking with "Them" and being welcomed by everyone when we were greeted by Krupanut with our pass and Fatluckys and Collette who were putting us up for the weekend. I can't thank them enough, they made us feel so comfortable and at home!

Hot rods look best at night and the scene on the street was the coolest. The weather was great and just walking around looking at everything was great. We capped the night off by seeing the bands and the Satins Cheerleaders at Trophy's That bass dude with no hand was crazy......

We went back to Fatluckys and woke up to some fantastic breakfast Tacos that Collette made. After breakfast we headed down to the show, It was in full swing when we got there.

Everything about the show was great, the park, the cars, the vendors, and esspecially the entertainment. We spent all day walking around checking out everything. The vendors had alot of really cool stuff for sale. I scored an Honest Charlie skull and a signed event poster from Keith Weesner I was a little too shy to introduce myself to him and I kind of regret it because his drawings have been a huge influance on the Hot Rods I build.

The quality of the cars at the show was awsome. I have to say my 2 favorite cars were the 29 roadster survivor and Jason's Evil Ford Coupe. That coupe is bad ass. Everything about it SCREAMS true Hot Rod......

As I was walking around I heard this pretty authentic sounding blues band on the stage, they weren't cheesy like most blues bands are so I figured I should check it out. I was expecting to see some "seasoned" older guys playing but I was suprised to see that it wasn't a blues band, but just a young black kid and a drummer. I was completly blown away. That kids' got it...... Holly Shit.

I diddn't want to get side tracked and miss the Palidans so I figured I would wait out the trophy presentation and then watch their set. I thought it was cool to see what all the famous guys, like Pete and Jake, Keith Weezner and Von Franco would choose as their favorite car at the show. All of the cars they chose were amazing, it seems those guys have good taste........ Then it was time for the Kontinentals award.

I was sitting there with FatLucky explaining my plans for the Honest Charlie skull and all of the sudden they called my name!

I was completly suprized and figured they must have been talking about some other Bob Bleed..........

I am truly honered and I still can't believe it...... Wow.
    I am ussually not interested in this trophy stuff, but this one is different and really means alot to me. Thanks guys.

After the trophy presentation I ran back to the car to find Laura and show it to her. She was watching the world premier of the Mad Fabricators dvd!! Evel is so excited to show it to everyone, he narrates every scene. I think I want the special edition version with Evel narrating it. Talk about Passion......

After the show we went back down to the club and it was pretty much a repeat of the night before. The highlight was when we got "Snuck" into the Continental for the burlesque show. It was fantastic.

Then it was back out to the street to rip it up and watch that guy in the red coupe do burnouts. I wish there would have been more! The funniest part of the weekend was watching Max Wedge chase those girls around the block on Fatlucky's minibike! HaHa That was cool.

The next morning we headed over to Flyrite Choppers for the crawfish fest. That place is really top notch and was the perfect end to the weekend. It was really relaxed and nice to see everyone one last time before we had to say Goodbuy. I traded a cd to barnett for these really bad ass mirror hanger monster things. I wanted to give a cd to Franco, but again I was a little shy..... anyway it was a great shop and the perfect way to rap up the weekend.

So it was basically time for us to go, but we diddn't want to! I was trying to think of excusses to stay a little longer when Laura and Kate asked if we could stay for the Roller Derby. We decided to check it out and it was KICK ASS. The girls beat the shit out of each other and my friends in Honkey played. That roller derby RULED!!!!

After the roller derby was over we went back to Fatluckys to load up the roadster and head out. Fatlucky, Collette and their little dog Lila were so nice to us it was hard to say goodbye. I can't wait to see them again. Maybe they can come up here for the Pile up or the Cheaters show. They are the best.

The trip home was long I picked up the Nailhead I bought off of ebay up in tulsa and found some other cars along the way. Oklahoma has alot of cars in it... Anyway there were know problems and it went smooth.

I guess that's it, my trip to Texas. I am sorry it was so long winded, but I had a great time. I will be back for sure.

I just want to thank The Kontinentals for doing such a great job. Krupanut, Evel and "THEM", Ryan and all of the other HAMBsters I met. You guys rule.

You know, all this stuff we are into all revolves around times of the past. The post war era and the fifties were special.
    Going to a show like this or the Pile up makes me wonder if we are LIVING in similar special times. It seems these shows will be legendary, years from now.

Here's a pic of the trailer trashed queen with her trophy.

Attached Files:

2. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

fucked up lights

Attached Files:

3. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

29 Roadster

Attached Files:

4. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Evil Ford Coupe

Attached Files:

5. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

It was wierd to see Drew's (Abomber30) old roadster there without him being there.

Attached Files:

6. Really good to meet you and thanks again for the c.d...it ROCKS! Hopefully I can get up to your side of the planet and we can hang out a bit more. Your roadster is one of my all time favorites, man.

7. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Max Wedge on the prowl......

Attached Files:

8. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Roller Derby Baby!!

Attached Files:

9. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

this is the sedan I found.

Attached Files:

10. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Bob, I'm glad you made it down and I got the chance to meet you and see your car in person. It sounds just like it looks and it looks badass. I probably could have bugged you for an entire day with questions, but I figure you get that all the time, so I refrained. you gonna make it to the HAMB Drags?

11. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

40 Ford/ 51 Vicky. Oklahoma has good stuff.

Attached Files:

12. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Pair of super clean sedans. This is the last one for now. Thanks again Texas!

Attached Files:

13. du$ty

du$ty

bob...im gonna try for the pile up this year..hopefully next time you see my T i will have better luck...it will have the front spindles and ill be driving the mutha.good to meet ya.

14. Let it be known,

YOU ROCK!

Loved the story, great to see passionate people doing what they love, no need to appoligise for the length, loved hearing your story.

I've decided, next year, I'm going to TEXAS.

Gonna have to start saving now to pay the air fair from Australia.

Cheers,

Drewfus [​IMG]

15. What a bitchin story. Metalshapes and myself did not get my coupe done in time but for sure will be ready for next year. This what this hot rodding thing is all about. Good road trips, good people new and old, good boos, good food. Can't think of a better time. Next year I will for sure be there. Thanks for the story.

16. Glad you made it down and had a good time.

Now you know how I felt when I came up to the Pileup, it's
    a good feeling to be among friends.
    TZ

17. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

It was really nice to meet you on Friday. I shot this as you were rolling in to the show.

Attached Files:

18. That was fun and I still have a JOB!!! I wanna give a shout out to Fat Lucky (and Collette), Evel, Ryan, Barnett, Krupanut, Mr. Gasser (yeah we'll play Detroit!), all of "THEM", Magnet, (I think that was) Oilcan, and all the HAMBers that I met but never got your HAMBhandles, theres a bunch. If ya don't know who I am I'm the little mexican kid thats actully norweigen. Haha!
    Oh and Flyrite Choppers. Whoops, almost forgot the Roller derby girls!!

19. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Sounds fun Bob! Sorry to hear about the roadster - it'll give something to do now!

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah man, it was great finally meeting you guys... I'm still getting over the whole weekend. Sucks to be back in reality...

21. thatredcaroutside

thatredcaroutside
    from Decatur,AL

I didn't see that Motorhome parked with the other ones at the Roundup.

22. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

Bob... i've been listening to "Motor Psycho" all week and I've decided that your song "Fist" is the Texas THEM anthem! [​IMG] ...

23. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

That song is about Lesbians. I diddn't know they had lesbians in Texas.....

So if the Cheaters are fags, does that make THEM lesbians? HaHa

Texas is Kick Ass.

24. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

why yes I am a lesbian! [​IMG]

25. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Wow, I kinda always wanted to watch a lesbian orgy and the whole time I was standing the the middle of one when we were working on your car trying to get it ready for the Round Up...damn I am clueless!

Bob and Max...it was too cool to see you someplace other than at Btt50's...too bad about Tuck...glad you left the Cheaters back home [​IMG] (kidding on that, I still love that black A and the primer A they have...would have been kool to see those in TX also)

Bleed on the bill next year and Knuckledragger! The people demand it (and so do the angry ants!)

26. Bob it was nice to meet you and finally get a good look at your roadster. Glad you had a good time and hope to see you next year.

27. Mojo

Mojo

Man, it makes me flinch reading about that thing getting roughed up... it's one of my most fav-o-rite A roadsters. Good story...

28. krupanut

krupanut

Bob, it was great having y'all here bro!
    Thanks for coming and bringing your awesome roadster.
    I had a good time talking the music bizz with you and Maxwedge at flyrite.
    Glad y'all made it home safe.

29. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Bleed- Thanks for the story and sharing the pics. Glad you had a safe trip and a good time. Everything else can be fixed..Keep on Rockin holmes...Dirty

30. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Hey Bob it was good to meet ya. I've been wanting to make it to one of them Roller Derby events for a few years and hav'nt yet.I think that would be a great closer to a great weekend

I think the THEM crew will have to make a video for fist and send it to ya. Last night it was played over repeatedly will Elrod did his best air guitar in front of Honest Charleys new pimpin ride.
    I gues we could roundup a few lesbians for it also.