Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rough Prototype DENT PULLER... Build your own TOOLs...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, May 28, 2009.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

This is just a rough prototype I wanted to try making using stuff everyone has laying around.

NHL Hockey pucks...
    Electrical Tuck Tape...
    Square stock...
    nuts..
    washers...
    bolts...
    12v bat...
    ford solenoid...
    switch...
    old shitty pair of jumper cables...
    some speaker wire...
    Some used bubble gum...
    and a popsickle stick...

OK... I have one of those expensive nail guns that welds nails on and you use a slide hammer to pull them out.

I dunno... it works...
    but you weld all these nails on...
    and pull them out with the hammer while trying to pull/hammer around the dent...
    you need three arms to do it right.

and then you pinch the side of your hand in the slide hammer... yeah! everyone does it... I don't care how long you been slinging a slide hammer... that HURTS.

I thought a lever would rule- and a consumable that you could break off.. you break the nails off...

I like levers... you can break things with a good lever...

Think about it... you can change a tire with a crowbar (a big lever)... on the side of the road... and if you don't know how to do that... that'll be my next tech post. LeVeR's RULE.

SO look below at the drawing... it kind of explains whats going on.

OK so this works but I had glitches... feel free to improve on this idea---> ad your ideas in this thread...

The ford solenoid that I used likes to STICK... its sticky... so note using an industrial solenoid would probably do the trick... or maybe TWO solenoids? I like the idea of running like 3 solenoids kinda like a tri carbs... Bitchen...

It needs more amps. It welds really good at first shock- like the first zap. It sticks hard... but it has to be HOT and FAST and it works. SO BIGGER Battery... or two batterys... and they work better at FULL charge obviously.

HOT and SLOW and you have a butter stick...

I thought at first I could use house hold nails... that didn't work.

They got red hot and went limp...

I used a bigger ROD and sharpened it to a point like toungsten... BINGO!
    more amperage though the bolt and it concentrates on the tip...
    so you have to sharpen the tip when you burn it down.

I just made this crude thing as a prototype...
    its the punk rock version...

I ran out of MIG gas and had to stick weld the bitch... but that was kinda fun... I fired up the 1950 Lincoln and it saved the day...

SO... YOU don't have an excuse if you don't have a mig... cuzz you can do this with a stick welder just like the fifties bro!

I used a JUNK pair of jumper cables for the wire. I think you could get some thicker wire and get even better results...

I was thinking you could design the lever to pull straight up on the nail... helping reduce the stress on the small weld so you can get more PULL... but I'm not sure that'll be an issue with more amps... just thinking out-loud....

===========================

OK... so here are the pics of my MAD MAX PROTOTYPE... the rough and dirty to get it up and see if it works. It needs work... but it WORKS.

I think its kinda rad... and much quicker pulling than that damn nail gun.

Tuck

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  2. Ruiner

Ruiner

Go to bed you fucking psycho! Oh, and won't the lever action damage the sheetmetal?

3. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

It didnt make new dents... no...

you could made a bigger flat pad that it would hinge off of... this is just to get the idea working... I have plenty of hockey pucks around ya know...

I'm gonna try some stuff tomorrow- - a buddy mentioned using an old stick welder???? use it on a low amp setting??? You see stickwelders at flee markets all the time... set it up so you run it though the solenoid! I wonder what reversing the polarity would do?

hmmmm....

I hate slide hammers...

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

the ones we used at school were a spot welder with a slide hammer that welded the tips to the sheet metal, you pulled the dent, then turned the slide hammer,and it popped right off. I would think you could get the slide hammer part and figure out a way to connect it to a standard welder, I know eastwood has a spot weld adaptor that connects to a welder,like that, the kind i'm talking about were the best thing i've ever used to pull dents, they would leave just a very small amount of metal where it was attached, easy to grind off.

5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Yeah i have a nail gun like you just described...
    I was using it all weekend... and thinking about doing something different with a lever like above... I mentioned the nail gun in the above post...

I like the mobility of a battery...
    you can move it around and you dont need a power source.

The big wheels and the bat box were the idea behind making it portable and moveable... without 220.

you can get 220 style amperage out of a couple 12v batterys...

anyways... just ideas...

Tuck

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

here you go, worth every single penny, Wish I could afford my own, I still see shops using the stupid weld on pin pullers, these things are awesome,did two cars with one, just set the weld time for the sheet metal, one hand to hold the slide hammer,push the button and it's welded to the panel, pull the dent,twist it off, https://www.restockit.com/120-Volt-Portable-Dent-Puller-(LNXLP2000120).html

7. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

OK OK OK... let me get somethin straight.

I know I can go buy a dent puller... I have two of em already.

I just made this one from shit I had layin around... that most people have layin around. Thats what I'm trying to accomplish here. A good design on the cheap. Its like getting a Mc Chicken for a buck...

Six Hundred buxx is like six 97 cores for your hot rod...

its like perches, a spring, and Lincoln brakes...
    thats a big chunk of chicken.
    I'm just sayin...

I had this idea rollin around in my head and had to try it out.
    It works... but this is the concept- idea... rough draft!
    maybe someone will have and Epiphany and presto...
    there it is...

8. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

yea i'm looking at your idea, just passing on the info on the puller was all, eventually i might buy one of these,if a lenco like it can survive al these students at school,it will probably last a lifetime at home wouldn't the dent puller part with the slidehammer work on your homemade one,with some batteries and a contactor for the current?

9. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Home made dent puller! Tuck you rule.
    That would be SO much easier on your arms.
    Slide hammers suck huge.

Norton

10. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Cool idea, but I'll stick to my store bought one since I already wasted all my stromberg money :D

11. Ruiner

Ruiner

Ok bro, I have a 110v stick welder you can have, how's that for kickass awesomeness? And some people just don't get how much slide hammers suck balls...how about putting a slight angle in your lever away from the sheetmetal, for some reason it would just look more appealing to the eye that way...maybe make it out of thick wall round tube? Throw some small bushings inside the hockey pucks to distribute load so they don't crack...

12. I think you are onto something Tuckeroonie.

I actually hate how the nail tries to give you a little highspot with the slidehammer.

13. jonnycola

jonnycola

Thats pretty rad. It's awesome that you just made it from shit laying around.

It seems like the power supply from some old shitty arc welder would be the way to go.

I wonder if you could somehow make the solinoid and nail part, pivot independently from the slide on the bar... to make it want to pull straight instead of at an angle.

14. jonnycola

jonnycola

Here's my gradeschool version of a drawing of how you could make it pivot... You'd obviously have to make the bottom part way heavier so it'd want to stay straight... I thought of that after I drew it....

Also, you'd have to wire the hot side of the solenoid right to the nail... otherwise maybe it would try to weld the pivot? Maybe you could make a nylon bushing or something to insulate it.

[​IMG]

15. moefuzz

moefuzz

Good Tech, This is cheap and easy to build (no shortage of hockey pucks up here) and will work on those dents where you can't get a hammer/dolly behind.

16. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Yeah that consumable needs to pivot...
    I think it starts to break when you pull without it pivoting...

I guess we dont need the solenoid on the arm... mount that on a cart that holds the power supply be it battery or 110v stick welder.

So Prototype two will be something like this...
    (pic attached)

and maybe we go 110 welder from Ruiner... I really like that idea!
    I would go buy a couple 850 cranking amp batterys but then I'm spending perch and spring money... I keep thinking a dent puller you don't have to plug in would rule. The down side is the bat would go dead if you were using it most of the day and to charge em... etc etc...

hmmmm....

Tuck

Attached Files:

17. BigRed390

BigRed390

18. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

oh and jonny your drawings RULE... im gonna print that out and stick it in my shop... and you better autograph it next time u come over- :p kick ass...

DO you have a PC or Mac? If you have a PC I have some bitchen software you can try out-

Tuck

19. ST. 515

ST. 515
    from TEXAS

Great idea!

-Saint

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm waiting for your new book "101 Hot Rod Things You Can Do with Hockey Pucks". :D

You rule Tuck!

I also heard they're bringing MacGyver back, and you're taking over as lead character! Is this true? :D

21. Ruiner

Ruiner

Still no angled handle? A double 10 degree angle (10 degrees away from sheetmetal, 3 or 4 inches straight, then another 10 degrees to bring it parallel) to get your knuckles away from the sheetmetal would be nice...I'll dig through the storage locker for the welder this weekend bro...

22. jonnycola

jonnycola

Haha, I started doing it in Inventor, but I dont know how to capture an image... so I used paint. The inventor one is way better. I've got a PC.

You could pickup an electric golf cart solenoid instead of a ford one... they're designed to handle way more amps, like 600. The only thing I dont know, is how many volts it takes to fire them... if you were set on powering it on batteries, you could use 6, 6 volt batteries for more amps, and most of those golf carts run 48 volts, so you could trigger the solenoid just fine. Some kind of a capacitor would help it bite into the sheetmetal too...

Better yet, just buy some old golf cart... leave it in tact, and hook all your shit up to it. Then, you have all the fun of the cart in the cornfield, and a powersource all in one.

23. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

slide hammer story . the big one! pulling out a heated up frame where the bumper bolts on, both hands pulling as hard as ya can with your legs squeezed together holding the handle.
    about the third blow your really gonna get it now as your legs slide forward and get pinched :eek: I hate when that happens !
    I still have scars from that one.
    I hate slide hammers but ya need them every now and then
    interesting ideal

24. Noland

Noland

they sell the type thing your trying to make they are expensive but they work great we have one at my work I ll see what the name is because I cant remember

25. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Yeah I doubt I'm doing anything original... can you get a pic of it? any more details on how it works?
    everythings already been invented like fifty times over
    BUT
    -it would be cool if you could piece this together on the cheap from garage sale type parts... its a home-made spot welder- dent puller... shrinker... all in one.

I guess you can get those golf cart solenoids for around sixty bucks-

I like the idea of the 110 welder... adjustible amperage!! I can't wait to try it out.

Ruiner let me know when you find that thing- I'm down for round two.
    you should sketch up what your talkin about with the handle...

Jonny the golf cart solenoid is a good tip-

Tuck

26. Joes50

Joes50

Very Cool home made puller!!! I look forward to seeing the updated version and how it works.

27. Ruiner

Ruiner

Send me dimensions of the length and size of your handle and I'll machine and bend it at work...hell, any parts you need machined for it, just send me drawings with dimensions and I'll make em nice and pretty at work...

28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

you're crazy :p thanks for the offer bro...
    I don't see this being too complicated -
    ok we'll get a working prototype from garage scrap and then maybe make a show-car version... I think we should save machine work for the hot rods!
    to be continued...

29. towaholic

towaholic
    from Rogers, mn

Stuff just laying around huh? That would make it a "Rat Rod" dent puller thingy.

It would be really cool if you painted the hockey pucks red and the rest of it flat black!

Just kiddin ya' cool idea!

30. Sick Crazy Tuck. Im speechless. :)