Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Roto Hydramatic Model 5 Shifter??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RyanAK, Oct 29, 2020.

1. RyanAK

RyanAK

Hey, gang. A comment in another thread and discussion with a fellow HAMBer has me rethinking a plan I've had for the '63 Cutlass...

The slushbox transmission in this particular car really isn't anything to get twisted about, even though a LOT of people told me to beware. I had always thought that down the road I would swap in a 4-speed... which is a lot of work but fairly straight forward. Modify the tunnel slightly, 3-pedals, bell housing, shifter/linkage, drive shaft alteration...

Anyway, a photo of a Hurst Dual Gate for a Roto Model 10 in the full-size cars has me wondering about any auto shifters out there for the smaller Roto 5. Or mods to make something like a Dual Gate or Autostick work. That would make this car super fun and let me keep the transmission... until I do something to kill it. :rolleyes: Most likely not anything out there and this thread will dissipate into the interwebs ether... but, you know. Ya gotta at least ask.

2. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

3. RyanAK

RyanAK

Thanks, man. I have a bead on a console if I go this route... And I think I have a stock floor shifter located... but they're pretty tough to come by. Was hoping there was a Hurst or B&M out there for this transmission. A Dual Gate would be a ton of fun on this car.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my "things" is to add later model stuff to a car but in a manner that looks like it should have been there all along. My OT Olds has a Hurst dual gate, but they didn't come that way till 69. Some mill work, chrome plating and ingenuity is all that is required...well that and a desire to destroy non reproduced factory consoles. Other than the guitar cable that is used to plug the line locs into the front of the console, looks stock. If you want it bad enough, you can do it yours.
    upload_2020-10-29_12-52-9.png
    Funny, in the same pic you can see the digital rev limiter and shift light that I installed in an old Sun tach. She has a few tricks up her sleeves.

egads, loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. RyanAK

RyanAK

Well that’s pretty damn neat. I tend to do the same thing with some OT vehicles. What transmission is that attached to?

6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Here's the one I had. I sold it for $400..

Hurst dual gate.jpg Hurst dual gate 2.JPG Hurst dual gate info 2.jpg Hurst dual gate info.jpg Hurst dual gate installed 2.jpg Hurst dual gate installed.jpg

7. RyanAK

RyanAK

Very cool. That’s the Grand Prix, yeah? I might need to search one out and study the linkage on the RH5 and see if it would work. Or could be modified to work. Dual Gate or Autostick or another “row your own” automatic shifter on a factory Cutlass or Hurst console would be nifty.

I should probably look and see what I can find in period Hurst literature. Maybe they made something for the smaller Model 5 Roto. If not... just might need to try one for the 10.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The hydro will shift itself at the highest reasonable rpm if left in L.. But it is nice being able to flip it down into S and back to D when you want to free wheel..

loudbang likes this.
  9. RyanAK

RyanAK

Well... I'm still learning about the personality of this slush box, but Imagonna have to try that. :cool: I was under the impression that L would keep it in 1st. "S" for Super does seem to change the shift points compared to Drive. Always fun leaning how something new and different operates.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Most any automatic transmission will upshift into the next higher gear at a higher rpm.. The Turbo 400 will unless it had a shift kit installed...

loudbang likes this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TCI Turbo 400. What a trans. Stage 2 shift kit, 2500 stall behind a Mondello built 455. I installed that trans 15 years ago? It was prior to building my new house so somewhere in there. It survived drag racing and a lot of street beatings. Still works perfect and shifts 2nd hard enough to not just chirp the tires but bust them completely lose. It is the last muscle car I own, I just cant seem to part with it :cool:

That looks absolutely perfect!

ffr1222k and loudbang like this.