Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Roothawg's 390 Cadillac build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's awesome! Thanks.

2. Barrelnose pickup has it right. I made an attempt to rig up a rocker arm ratio checker using two dial indicators today... worked, but not as accurate as what I wanted. So, after my portfolio matures and I retire I'll have to take the time to build a fixture for this and get some final numbers on these. Ended up doing what Barrelnose did and came up with the same ratios. Doing the math using the '62 shop manual I came up with 1.648 to 1 on the 390 rocker arms. Measuring '62 390 rockers yielded 1.68:1. Measuring '55 331 rockers I came up with nearly the same at 1.6 to 1. Measuring Studebaker rockers gave me approx. 1.5:1

loudbang likes this.
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I believe we have a consensus then. With those numbers, I should be able to get a half inch of lift ok.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

How are you guys dealing with the road draft tube? I have been pondering a pcv valve in the valley pan.

onthefritz likes this.
  5. I run the tube, puts the blow bye and oil under the chassis. I bought an extra dfaft tube with intentions of using a pcv valve, but I never did it.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

They are, but I don't wanna smell like carbon gasses. I guess I could tie them into the exhaust somehow.

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  8. I run a PCV system copied from the '62 California versions. I've had no issues with it in the 15 years it's been on my '331.

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  9. Do you have a diagram? Or some pics of how you did it? My ideas were too hack (even for me, and the thing I enjoy most is being a hack). I would like to try it.

There is a lot of &&@@@ coming out of that tube for sure, I stuck a rubber hose in it that runs under the car past the passenger compartment to cut down on smell. I like the idea of rolling old school, but I would like to try something better. Maybe Warbird has a good fix.

10. desotot

desotot

With multiple carbs I would run a road draft tube so that I can dedicate all of the vacuum to the carbs, but a single four I run a pcv.

11. Awesome. Thank you.

For some reason this link goes to a different thread, but by searching hamb for "cadillac-ohv-v8's-1949-1962" , it brought me to the correct thread, (in case someone wanted to check it out). Since I have an extra draft tube, I'll try it. I do run dual quads on my 390, so I will be interested to see if the vacuum is compromised.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Here it is from Warbird's previous thread.

When I did the PCV installation on my 331 I cut the road draft tube off just outside of the elbow that attaches it to the valley cover. Then welded a correct dia. washer to the end of the tube and welded half of a pipe coupling over the hole. If you have access to a lathe you could turn out a fancy adapter to go from the I.D. of the tube to female NPT. The adapter I welded up works fine and its hidden down below the intake manifold so isn't noticable. Into this adapter goes a pipe to hose fitting. I installed the PCV valve into the manifold vacuum port on the secondary side of the front WCFB. You could do the same, or just plumb it into the vacuum port on the manifold. I used a PCV valve p/n FV100, which I think is a Fram part number. Have your parts guy do a search for the PCV valve for a '61 Cad, which is what I did. Then it's just a matter of rounding up the correct brass pipe fittings, hose and hose barb to make the system work.

Hardest thing on my installation was drilling out the manifold vacuum connection on the back of the WCFB from 1/8 NPT to 1/4 NPT. Not a lot of extra meat there, but it worked.

Hope this helps...

13. c322348

c322348

I think you would be wasting your time with larger valves and a solid lifter cam. You can't make the intake ports flow enough and a bigger valve will be shrouded by the cylinder wall. I went through a few iterations of cylinder head porting to learn this. The exhaust side of the early 390 head is quite good. The intake side suffers at the lower lift levels. See my build thread "New Skool 331 Caddy Build" for flow charts before and after porting.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Since you brought it up, would you just run the stock valves and move on? I remember you said there wasn't a whole lot of difference for the money spent or are you satisfied?
    I am more concerned with those clunky retainers. I know they are part of the oil seal. I just wonder if a sbc valve, retainer and prongs would work? Maybe cut the guides for Teflon seals?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  15. Roothawg

Roothawg

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that has to be one of the most beautiful manifolds ever made.....I hope they make em again. The original tooling must be lost or damaged?

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

If you look at the 2x2, it's not too far from the original 3x2.

Moriarity likes this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Got a response from Offy already!!!
    Thanks DMarv for the response.

Offenhauser hears you! The resurrection of the Offenhauser 3x2 for the early Cadillac V8 engines has been on going for the last few years. Offenhauser hopes to make them available soon, but there is more work to be done. Stayed tuned to the Offenhauser website because when they are available it will be announced here first.

rust, loudbang, warbird1 and 2 others like this.
  19. c322348

c322348

The 472/500 has the seals that are part of the retainer. The earlier Caddies have an umbrella seal.

They will cut the guides to use a modern positive seal. Also will need a stronger valve spring. Planning to set the RPM limit at 6500 or below.

I'm satisfied with the flow now. At least as good as a decent SBC head. Stock 390 with a tri-power was rated at 345 HP. If I can get 425 HP I'll be elated. We'll see!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

If I can get 350 hp, I'll be satisfied. It's more about the curb appeal.

Moriarity likes this.
  21. I want a 3 carb offy intake!

Roothawg likes this.
  22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Well, I found something this week that I couldn't live without. My good buddy Sid scored this intake and I had to have it, so here ya go. Soon to be sent off to the buffer.
    intake.jpg

loudbang, warbird1, rust and 2 others like this.
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Rightfully so! Nice score. I have one of those for my Olds, my hunch is, it will actually work better than the Edelbrock 4x2. I'll probably run the 4x2 just for the glamour, but I think the 2x4 is a real good combo for the street.

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

The carbs are just shells, but I am interested on what has the same footprint?

25. I believe the Rochester 4-Jet and the Carter WCFB both have the same footprint.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  26. Root, there is an oil galley plug inside the distributor hole that the machine shop should, and most likely will, remove during cleanup...be sure it goes back in. ;)

Roothawg and loudbang like this.
  27. loudbang likes this.
  28. Toilet bowl Holley... :eek:

If you can fix them, keep the WCFB's. Otherwise a couple of small AFB's or AVS carbs on adapters.