Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rocky tries out Gibbs oil on the 34 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Chris 50

Chris 50

Rad Rides by Troy sells a similar product that claims to be body shop safe. The prices for each are within a couple bucks. Same stuff, different label?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. 32ford5...thanks for the heads-up. I fully plan to do a full prep before uisng primer on the metal and the sooner the better. I have no plans to run this car in bare metal..the only reason I'm using this product on the car is the coming wet weather on the way and we have a long way to go with body work...I've already had to deal with surface rust on the unprotected metal while it's at this body shop. It looks like it's gonna spend another winter in this shop and I don't ever want to have to go over the entire car...inside and out, topside and undeneath again with the 'Phix" acid wash to get rid of surface rust...I thought a long time before using Gibbs and I realize I'll have to remove it before painting...the alternative is unacceptable.
    Plus, it just looks cool sitting there in the middle of the shop, glowing like a new dime in a goats ass.

3. Choff

Choff

Gibbs is the best, been using it in Wisconsin to protect by work before if rusts, I like to use it on new patch panels after welding. I also have been soaking bolts on my old HEMI with Gibbs before I take apart, things come apart so nice!!!!

Attached Files:

4. sololobo

sololobo

Holy von smolly!! I missed this post when it was first up. Rob Lee was talking about how great it looked, so had to dig it up. How bad ass brother. ~sololobo~ btt please

5. 117harv

117harv

Since there are posts here describing how Gibbs works, I have a question. I have used WD-40 on bare metal before and you can TIG weld right over it with no adverse affects, can the same be done with Gibbs?

Yes, very nice coupe, bare metal looks bitchen!

6. Choff

Choff

Never had any welding issue with Gibbs on bare metal.
    Choff

7. I would give it a good bath with my favorite laquer thinner and a rag/spray bottle them wash it as Flamedabone says when I was ready to do bodywork. Looking better each time.

8. Yup, it gets a good bath before any primer/paint but until then, it won't rust. I spent several hours tonight removing rust on several spots and protecting with Gibbs.it's amazing how much rust occurs while the body is sitting inside in the body shop. Humidity and temp changes raise hell with bare metal.
    When it comes time I think it'll be one helluva lot easier to remove the gibbs than it would be to remove rust...again!