Register now to get rid of these ads!

ROCKETEERS! please check in

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topdeadcenter, Nov 10, 2003.

1. topdeadcenter

topdeadcenter

Hello,

This weekend I bought a 1951? (the guy says it is a '51 but I think it is a 50, how do I tell for sure) Olds 88 two door slantback, with the 303 and auto.(this is a junk car, no glass, no title, no floor, mucho rusto) I have MANY questions! I am looking for any info on building this combo. The car will be parted out, but I don't go pick it up until Spring. (We need to remove some trees)

Any leads on website will be appreciated,
    TDC

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

If it looks like this it is a '50. I know the '49 had a split windshield but I'm not sure if there is any difference between the '50 and '51. If there is, it's minor, like turn signal trim or trim around the rear lites.

[​IMG]

3. Rocket88

Rocket88

49 - 50's look the same. Here's a pic of a 51. Apparantly some early 51's had 50 sheet metal on the nose.

Attached Files:

4. topdeadcenter

topdeadcenter

Denise, It looks a lot like that one.
    Rocket88, the turn signals are like the one that HRLC posted.

There is no windshield, but I am guessing that it was a one piece.
    Does anyone know what that tranny would be? Hydromatic? Any good sources for engine rebuild kits? Any info for swaping this into a shoebox ford? (Foldsmobile [​IMG]) Not that I am thinking of doing this but it is just an idea.

let me know,
    TDC

5. Rocket88

Rocket88

Any pics? Keep us posted, I could probably use a few bits and pieces.

6. topdeadcenter

topdeadcenter

No pics...We didn't bring the camera, because we thought that we were just going down to yank the flathead out of the '49 ford. No chance of going back this fall either. The SUPERSECRET stash is 3 and a half hours away, so pics will wait till spring. I really wanted the grille from this car for my shoebox, but a collision with a deer is what put this car in the yard to begin with so the grille is shot. [​IMG]

Still looking for info on building the engine/tranny for a possible future project.

Thanks,
    TDC

7. topdeadcenter

topdeadcenter

bttt for the night crew. [​IMG]